PDA

View Full Version : Scrub does Commerce

scrub
07-06-2005, 11:52 AM
I'm heading down to LA today, and will probably be there until the 12th.

I'm planning to spend a good chunk of time at Commerce while I am in LA, and I'm also planning to spend a good chunk of time out carousing with Jason_T, some other posters, and some friends from college.

Anyone interested in either activity, or some combination thereof, should PM me.

scrub

scrub
07-07-2005, 05:31 PM
Right now it looks like Friday might be the best night for a big get together, but I will be at Commerce tonight, and I'm at least meeting Jason_T there.

I played at the Hustler for a while last night--yuck.

scrub

sfer
07-07-2005, 06:24 PM
Which stripper is jason bringing along?

Stellastarr
07-07-2005, 11:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Which stripper is jason bringing along?

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rick Nebiolo
07-08-2005, 04:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Other than the fact it's a lot smaller than Commerce, what didn't you like about Hustler (and did you play in that 50/100 game?).

~ Rick

scrub
07-08-2005, 11:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Other than the fact it's a lot smaller than Commerce, what didn't you like about Hustler (and did you play in that 50/100 game?).

~ Rick

[/ QUOTE ]

I showed up at around 11 pm and planned on playing in the 25 game. I found the appropriate board, and waited about 10 minutes for the brush to grace me with his presence--he seemed fairly put out that I was there at all, but he asked me what I wanteed to play. There were short lists for the 15 and the 25, and open seating on their nickel NL, so I asked him to put me on the limit lists and give me a NL seat while I waited. I'm not sure why the brush even asked me what lists I wanted to be on, since it turned out that he just sat me in the NL game and didn't put me on the lists for the other games.

It took an orbit and a half for me to get chips; it was only when I gave up and started walking to the cage to get them myself that the a chip runner finally showed up. It took another few orbits for me to realize that I had not been called for either of the limit games when seats had opened, so I had a friend of mine get me put on the lists while he was on a walk from his game.

Two hours later, getting into the car in the parking lot, I heard my initials called for the 25 game.

I've played in just about every poker city in the country, and the only place I've ever been treated more rudely by the floor was at the Bike.

scrub

belloc
07-08-2005, 12:30 PM
That's a real bummer. And (in my experience) it's unusual at Commerce. I've always been treated pretty well there (at the mid-lower limit games) by both dealers and brushes. Chips always seemed to come on time. Sometimes when it's crowded you have to sharpen your elbows a bit, but I've never been treated as if I was privileged to be there by any staff (except maybe food service, which all but disappears on busy nights).

I hope you have a better time tonight.

Rick Nebiolo
07-08-2005, 01:05 PM
Hi scrub,

Regarding the Hustler you wrote:

[ QUOTE ]
"I showed up at around 11 pm and planned on playing in the 25 game. I found the appropriate board, and waited about 10 minutes for the brush to grace me with his presence--he seemed fairly put out that I was there at all, but he asked me what I wanted to play.

There were short lists for the 15 and the 25, and open seating on their nickel NL, so I asked him to put me on the limit lists and give me a NL seat while I waited. I'm not sure why the brush even asked me what lists I wanted to be on, since it turned out that he just sat me in the NL game and didn't put me on the lists for the other games."

[/ QUOTE ]

I showed up last night (the night after you I think) a bit earlier in the evening. My guess is it was the same brush/floor as I had to wait several minutes to get on the 15 and 25 board while at the same time wanted to snag one of the NL seats (only one or two looked open). This same brush/floor once called a 15/30 game down to a table (it had a reasonable chance of going) having only three of ten chairs set up and no chips or dealer ready. It wasn't busy and there was no excuse.

That said, I think most of the staff does a good job and their new GM Tracey Edwards in the nuts.

[ QUOTE ]
"It took an orbit and a half for me to get chips; it was only when I gave up and started walking to the cage to get them myself that the a chip runner finally showed up. It took another few orbits for me to realize that I had not been called for either of the limit games when seats had opened, so I had a friend of mine get me put on the lists while he was on a walk from his game."

[/ QUOTE ]

The reality in LA is that you need to make sure you see your name go on the list and then once in another game make sure you are located unless you are a super regular. I'm a regular player, but split my time among all the major clubs so I play it safe.

[ QUOTE ]
"I've played in just about every poker city in the country, and the only place I've ever been treated more rudely by the floor was at the Bike."

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to work at the Bike as a lead 8/16 level prop/host and NL host among other things and thought most of the floor staff was pretty friendly. You might have hit a bad apple or a good guy on a bad night.

Anyway, If you make it to Hollywood Park I play there most Friday's and Sunday's. Ask the floor for me. Commerce I usually play on Thursday and some Tuesdays, but couldn't this week.

Regards,

Rick

Josh W
07-09-2005, 04:56 AM
I play at the hustler on a very regular basis when i'm not travelling, and i have no affiliation with them whatsoever (so please don't think I'm just a shill for them).

The biggest problem is the lack of chip runners. But the floorstaff is VERY friendly. There are two new floormen in the top section that I'm not as familiar with, but most of the floorpeople are great. They are pretty lousy as far as decision making goes. One floorman, Bobby, can be borderline rude sometimes.

If you happen to play there again, know that most of the chiprunning is done by the floor men. once they direct you to a seat, give them money, and they'll get you chips right away (depending on the line at the cage).

I firmly believe that the hustler top section is the best place to play in LA for environment, drop, jackpot, food, friendliness, quality of games etc. One of the props there and I joke back and forth that it's the best kept secret in LA. Because they are a smaller club, they often have every table going, and it can take a LONG time to get in a game, and that is the biggest drawback.

I think that's about it. Oh yeah, if you are playing 15-30 or higher, you can call and put your name on the board up to an hour in advance....i'd strongly recommend this if you want to play there again in the future.

Good luck,

Josh

scrub
07-09-2005, 09:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I play at the hustler on a very regular basis when i'm not travelling, and i have no affiliation with them whatsoever (so please don't think I'm just a shill for them).

The biggest problem is the lack of chip runners. But the floorstaff is VERY friendly. There are two new floormen in the top section that I'm not as familiar with, but most of the floorpeople are great. They are pretty lousy as far as decision making goes. One floorman, Bobby, can be borderline rude sometimes.

If you happen to play there again, know that most of the chiprunning is done by the floor men. once they direct you to a seat, give them money, and they'll get you chips right away (depending on the line at the cage).

I firmly believe that the hustler top section is the best place to play in LA for environment, drop, jackpot, food, friendliness, quality of games etc. One of the props there and I joke back and forth that it's the best kept secret in LA. Because they are a smaller club, they often have every table going, and it can take a LONG time to get in a game, and that is the biggest drawback.

I think that's about it. Oh yeah, if you are playing 15-30 or higher, you can call and put your name on the board up to an hour in advance....i'd strongly recommend this if you want to play there again in the future.

Good luck,

Josh

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the tips--I appreciate it.

I may drop by there again before I head back up to Berkeley.

scrub