PDA

View Full Version : simple question on implied odds and effective odds

wrto4556
07-06-2005, 11:38 AM
not sure if this goes in this forum or not. Im not really questioning whether the hand was played right or not, but more if im calculating my effective and implied odds correctly.

5/10 (3 handed)

I have 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif,2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif in the SB.
button limps, I complete, BB checks.

flop is J /images/graemlins/heart.gif,5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif,7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif (3sb)
I bet, BB calls, Button calls.

turn is the 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif (3BB)
I check, BB bets, Button raises...

Is this call profitable?

Assuming it gets capped behind me and both players are in, all I need to do is make up 1.25BB on the river, correct?

i'd be getting 11-4 or 2.75-1...I need 4-1.

This is an easy call, right?

Stephen H
07-06-2005, 12:59 PM
Looking at the odds on the turn, you're planning on putting in 4 bets, and there will be 3+4+4=11 bets to win. Like you said, 11-4 odds. However, if you need 4-1 odds, that's 16-4, and you need to make up 5 bets on the river when you hit your hand. Implied odds are kind of more art than science; there's no way to be sure how many bets/raises/so forth you can get when your river hits, but this seems unlikely. 5 bets from 2 opponents means a bet and 2 raises; even if you checkraise, you need a raise from one of them.
While 11-4 is the same as 2.75-1, you can't then decide you only need 1.25 bets to make it to 4-1. Always compare the amount you put in vs the amount you'll get; if you're putting in 4BB, and need 4-1 odds, you need to win 16BB. If you're only getting 11BB now, you have to make up 5BB.

Does this help?

wrto4556
07-06-2005, 05:45 PM
yes. Thanks.

im still catching on to the math part of poker /images/graemlins/frown.gif