PDA

View Full Version : Donnie Darko?

MoreWineII
07-06-2005, 10:54 AM
I have some friends who swear this is the greatest movie ever made. I thought it was boring as hell.

I wonder if I'm in the minority.

Macdaddy Warsaw
07-06-2005, 11:09 AM
It was good, not great. So I abstain from voting.

Grisgra
07-06-2005, 11:09 AM
Random and dumb. "Look at me, I'm surreal!"

*yawns*

Maulik
07-06-2005, 11:15 AM
great movie, its not even close.

lu_hawk
07-06-2005, 11:16 AM
i saw it when it first came out and i really liked it. it hadn't caught on yet at the time. but i like it a lot less now that there are a million tools who say things like 'greatest movie of all time', just because it's the only non-blockbuster film they have ever seen and they think it makes them artsy.

squeek12
07-06-2005, 11:19 AM
Somewhere in the middle. Sometimes a movie gets so hyped that it cannot possibly live up to expectations. By the time I finally saw this movie, it had become so popular that I had very high hopes. It didn't live up to all the hype IMO.

Maulik
07-06-2005, 11:28 AM
if i loved this movie what others will I like? I don't care to be pretenious because that's a waste of time

squeek12
07-06-2005, 11:30 AM
read the other thread on movie plot twists.

Grisgra
07-06-2005, 11:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i saw it when it first came out and i really liked it. it hadn't caught on yet at the time. but i like it a lot less now that there are a million tools who say things like 'greatest movie of all time', just because it's the only non-blockbuster film they have ever seen and they think it makes them artsy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. People like it because it's got a couple nice looking scenes and they think they're cool if they like it. But the movie as a whole sucks eggs.

stigmata
07-06-2005, 11:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]

*yawns*

[/ QUOTE ]

Its the deep symbolism and references of Donnie Darko that makes the film so interesting. Is Donnie a SuperHero with the power to control Water and Fire? Is Frank an agent of God? The film forces you to do some deep thinking, and that is very rare. I figure some of it went over many peoples head (including all the fanboys).

It's also great to have a movie set in the 80's - for example there are some great references to other films from ET through to American Warewolf.

shakingspear
07-06-2005, 11:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Exactly. People like it because it's got a couple nice looking scenes and they think they're cool if they like it. But the movie as a whole sucks eggs.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the Radiohead of cinema.

I disagree with you on the sucking thing, though. I thought it was really well done.

tbach24
07-06-2005, 11:46 AM
I liked it, but I was kind of confused at the end.

shakingspear
07-06-2005, 11:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Its the deep symbolism and references of Donnie Darko that makes the film so interesting. Is Donnie a SuperHero with the power to control Water and Fire? Is Frank an agent of God? The film forces you to do some deep thinking, and that is very rare. I figure some of it went over many peoples head (including all the fanboys).

[/ QUOTE ]

Very rare, indeed.

-Skeme-
07-06-2005, 11:51 AM
Not enough options in this poll. It was a good movie, not some amazing artsy flick like some paint it as. It was cool for what it was.. some funny parts, pretty cool ending, but nothing mind blowing.

Grisgra
07-06-2005, 12:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Its the deep symbolism and references of Donnie Darko that makes the film so interesting. Is Donnie a SuperHero with the power to control Water and Fire?

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhhhhh . . . next time, split the little orange pills in half.

squeek12
07-06-2005, 12:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not enough options in this poll. It was a good movie, not some amazing artsy flick like some paint it as. It was cool for what it was.. some funny parts, pretty cool ending, but nothing mind blowing.

[/ QUOTE ]

End of Thread.

stigmata
07-06-2005, 12:04 PM
Next time, maybe you should stick to The Last Action Hero.

CollinEstes
07-06-2005, 12:04 PM
I think that Donnie Darko is probably much more mind blowing if you are on something when you watch it.

Grisgra
07-06-2005, 12:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

End of Thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever, man. There's nothing in that descript about how Donnie might be a SuperHero with the power to control Water and Fire!

*shoot self in head*

stigmata
07-06-2005, 12:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Its the deep symbolism and references of Donnie Darko that makes the film so interesting. Is Donnie a SuperHero with the power to control Water and Fire?

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhhhhh . . . next time, split the little orange pills in half.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to show I wasnt on drugs (not this time anyhow /images/graemlins/wink.gif)

"Is Donnie a SuperHero with the power to control Water and Fire?"

He peforms 3 acts of "SuperHerodom" in the film. In one, he sets fire to the child ponographers house, thus getting him caught. In another, he floods the school which gets the teacher sacked. In a random scene, he walks in front of a house and the sprinkler turns on. He passes the house and it turns off.

Etc....

stigmata
07-06-2005, 12:12 PM
Anyone figure out why he gets the teacher sacked?

DasLeben
07-06-2005, 12:24 PM
Great movie, and no, it's not close.

MoreWineII
07-06-2005, 12:29 PM
From my experience, people's opinions on this movie run from one extreme to the other. I figured the people who didn't feel strongly either way would just skip the thread. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

stigmata
07-06-2005, 12:40 PM
I have to state I only said it was "interesting". I just felt it needed defending from people who clearly weren't paying attention (*cough*). The film is kinda contrived and intangible - I agree it tries too hard to be "wierd" and hence is somewhat pretentious (it's also difficult to talk about without sounding so yourself /images/graemlins/wink.gif). But it also works on many levels (symbolic, emotional, thriller), its funny, great soundtrack, lots of movie references, makes you think etc.

-Skeme-
07-06-2005, 12:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know he purposely got the teacher sacked. We're talking about Drew Barrymore, right? Not the guy? I thought her being fired was just an offshoot of him flooding the school.

RacersEdge
07-06-2005, 12:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
From my experience, people's opinions on this movie run from one extreme to the other. I figured the people who didn't feel strongly either way would just skip the thread. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

If you already knew the answer, why did you make the poll? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

pryor15
07-06-2005, 12:46 PM
clearly it's overrated, but at least i didn't start getting frustrated by it while i was watching, and for me that's pretty damn good. however, i didn't come out thinking it was some great, revolutionary piece of cinema.

it's pretty good for what it is, but it isn't all that.

MoreWineII
07-06-2005, 12:53 PM
There's two extremes. I was curious whether I was in the minority or not.

tdarko
07-06-2005, 01:02 PM
a movie with swayze and tears for fears is greatness not great.

stigmata
07-06-2005, 01:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know he purposely got the teacher sacked. We're talking about Drew Barrymore, right? Not the guy? I thought her being fired was just an offshoot of him flooding the school.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's just that his other subconcious "superhero" acts have a motive (getting peado caught, saving family). The only direct consequence of the school flooding was Barrymore getting sacked. So I figure it must have a reason.

However, she does leave with the words "cellar door" which is the clue he uses at the end of the film at the old womans house. That's a bit weak though I think.

Duffman
07-06-2005, 02:04 PM
I loved it.

cnfuzzd
07-06-2005, 02:07 PM
i do think this movie has garnered more oot discussion than any other movie, ever. Severaly threads on it...

peace

john nickle

istewart
07-06-2005, 02:11 PM
Get new friends, MoreWine. /images/graemlins/cool.gif Calling any movie with Jake Gyllenhaal the greatest movie ever is beyond gay.

Incredibly overrated. Same as Memento, Requiem for a Dream, etc. Good but everyone hypes them up.

pryor15
07-06-2005, 03:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Get new friends, MoreWine. /images/graemlins/cool.gif Calling any movie with Jake Gyllenhaal the greatest movie ever is beyond gay.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't know if it's beyond gay, but it does show a disturbing lack of film perspective.

phil_ivey_fan
07-06-2005, 03:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

right on the money.

Sightless
07-06-2005, 03:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

*yawns*

[/ QUOTE ]

thats excatly how i felt abotu taht movie... it just tried way too hard