PDA

View Full Version : Do we really know the enemy? (x-post ssnl and mid-hi nl)

Marlow
07-06-2005, 10:43 AM
(x-post ssnl and mid-hi nl --- please only submit vote in one forum)

On both PL/NL forums, it seems that at least 50% of all op’s say that opponents are “unknown.” Of course some of these are because people have just sat down at a table. But what can we attribute the rest of them to? Checking email? Watching the WPT or TILT (lmao)? Multitabling?

So how about a little honesty? Who here REALLY studies his or her opponents? How closely do you watch them? How do you think your level of attention effects your game?

I think the status quo answer to the question “what makes a good big-bet player?” includes focus at the table and paying close attention to your opponents. Playing the player and all that. But who here walks the walk?

I know we all have different habits when we play. And I realize that most everyone who posts here on a regular basis is a winning player. So let’s take a real look at how we do it…

Ghazban
07-06-2005, 10:45 AM
None of the poll options accurately reflect my focus level at the tables.

Marlow
07-06-2005, 10:46 AM
Gimme some suggestions...

jkkkk
07-06-2005, 11:00 AM
I'm guilty, can't build reads 6-tabling / posting on 2+2.

PT + PV tells me what i need to know /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Ghazban
07-06-2005, 11:10 AM
Well, I generally 4-table the 1/2 full ring games on Party. At any given instant, there are 36 seats on my screen that I'm not sitting in. There are a lot of other multitabling regulars in this game, too, so there's probably about 25-30 different players occupying those 36 seats.

Most of the regulars don't change gears much. They're either TAG or LAG or good or bad or whatever but don't mix it up too often. Generally, they are players who understand the game but aren't all that imaginative. Therefore, I don't feel the need to watch them too carefully as I feel like I've already got a good feel for how they play from past experience.

The players I don't have experience with are the ones I ought to pay attention to. However, I don't catch every bet on every street on all 4 tables of every hand. If I see a big pot pushed to an unknown, I'll usually check the history and see how he went through it (was it a suckout, a big draw, a big bluff, whatever). I don't, however, check the histories for all the little pots that don't get past the flop (which would, of course, give me more information as to how the unknowns are playing).

When I looked at your poll, I couldn't honestly say I paid as much attention as I possibly could because I know I don't. I often check email, have the TV/radio on, surf the 'net, etc. while I'm playing. However, the other choices didn't really reflect my approach either as they relied heavily on PT stats. I have PT and PV open while playing but I put little faith in the numbers I have on people unless I have over 1000 hands (and I don't have over 1000 hands on many people because I keep forgetting to datamine).

BZ_Zorro
07-06-2005, 11:13 AM
I voted 4.

At $25NL, I can easily do better than 10PTBB/100 4 tabling without GT, without any stats, and without any reads or paying attention. I often watch TV while playing.

At $100, I can't win a cent without watching the tables, and usually lose 4-tabling, even with GT. I can get close to 10PTBB/100 with little variance if I pay close attention to betting patterns, take notes, and don't play more than 3 tables.