PDA

View Full Version : Embarrassed by how I played this AKs

mockingbird
07-06-2005, 09:51 AM
I know this ia a pretty straight forward hand, but feedback will be apreciated anyway.

Seems like I should have check/called the turn and check/folded the river????? Any opinions????

Do I cap this pre-flop w/AKs? If I had I might have been able to get BB to fold.

Thanks in advance.

Results in white below.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (12.50 SB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (8.25 BB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls.

River: (11.25 BB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 folds.

Final Pot: 13.25 BB

<font color="white">BB had 55 for 2 pair 5's and 4's</font>

McGahee
07-06-2005, 09:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Seems like I should have check/called the turn and check/folded the river?????

[/ QUOTE ]

yes

[ QUOTE ]

Do I cap this pre-flop w/AKs?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes

[ QUOTE ]

If I had I might have been able to get BB to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

doubtful

jba
07-06-2005, 09:58 AM
yes, cap that preflop.

I thought the flop was fine... if I think EP players are fishy and will call two cold and then check the turn I might raise here.

the turn is fine I think, but part of the reason that you're betting this turn is to gain control of the pot, so hopefully your opponents will check to you on the river. Here you only have A high. AQ and busted flush draws are not going to call you but pairs probably will. check the river through.

mantasm
07-06-2005, 10:00 AM
Yes, cap this preflop. Raise the flop, there's a good chance you have the best hand and you have lots of outs if you don't. I think the turn bet is ok, given the action so far you may have the best hand, but I'd usually take the free card. When you get to the river, definitely take a free showdown. A better hand is never folding, especially on this board.

PokerBob
07-06-2005, 10:15 AM
I check the river. And raising this flop is a must.

Sasnak
07-06-2005, 11:00 AM
With the preflop 3 bets I'm putting someone on a medium to high pocket pair but I would have capped.

I'm raising the flop with the NFD and I don't believe anyone has a 4, and if they have pocket 8's more power to them.

Turn, fine.

River I'd check/call looking to see two pair somewhere.

~

thejameser
07-06-2005, 11:07 AM
cap pf. raise the flop(if not pumping for value, for a free card, hell for all of the above and more). and take the infinite odds when given, check the turn.

Derek in NYC
07-06-2005, 11:09 AM
1. cap this preflop... you have position, and it is suited

2. raise the flop for value... you have 9 outs to a likely winner, and 6 overcards that could be good given this board.

3. between being 4:1 to make the flush on the next card, and the possibility that you may be cleaning up some outs like getting an AQ to fold, the turn bet is thin for value but okay generally.

4. i check the river 100% of the time here. if you are betting these rivers in multiway pots against opponents who have consistently been calling down in the face of your aggression, you have a leak. bob ciaffone has the right view on AK unimproved... it's basically a bluff catcher hand.

wireMan
07-06-2005, 11:11 AM
I don't cap this pf, play it like you did.
I'm raising the flop with the nut flush draw.
Taking the free card on the turn.
River all depends on where the bet comes from (if it happens), if no bet I'm checking it through for the free showdown.

akvsaq
07-06-2005, 11:20 AM
I think your call pf is acceptable although a raise seems better unless you have reads. I think you should DEFINITELY raise the flop! You have as much as 15 outs here in a big pot. You want to maximize your chance of winning instead of keeping people in. If it was a small pot, I understand the call. After raising flop, bet the turn. Theres a chance your AK high is still boss. For sure DON'T BET THE RIVER. A better hand will never fold here.

PSW
07-06-2005, 11:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]

3. between being 4:1 to make the flush on the next card, and the possibility that you may be cleaning up some outs like getting an AQ to fold, the turn bet is thin for value but okay generally.

[/ QUOTE ]

How does getting AQ to fold cleaning up outs?

psw

Rah
07-06-2005, 12:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why on earth would he want AQ to fold for a bet?

Rah
07-06-2005, 12:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
yes, cap that preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are all of you so eager to cap this preflop? Worst case scenario, hero is up against AA/KK and a giant dog. Best case scenario, one QQ/JJ and one AQ/AJ in which case hero is still a dog. Capping won't isolate, since someone calling three bets cold will also call four bets cold. Yes, AK is suited, but that doesn't add so much value that capping is warranted here.
Capping will also make sure that we aren't getting more info on UTG who may cap if hero won't.

All in all, this "always cap with AK" attitude is strange, especially without motivation. Seriously, if there is any time when AK should not be capped, it is in UTG+2 facing three bets.

GrunchCan
07-06-2005, 01:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
All in all, this "always cap with AK" attitude is strange

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no 'always' in poker. Anyone who says always cap PF with AKs is wrong.

I do cap here, however. Of course, AKs has a lot of equity, and that is a consideration. But *relative position* is a much bigger consideration here. By capping PF, Hero closes the action and effectively slams the door on any other opponent's ability to have the relative button. Of course, someone behind Hero could call 4 cold, giving them the button. But this is very unlikely even at a loose passive table, and if it does happen Hero can safely slow down postflop unless he flops the nuts.

Mostly I cap PF because of the situation it puts me in postflop if I flop good, like Hero did here. It's not as likely as some suggest that Hero has the best hand, but its not impossible. But Hero probably has a huge equity edge, so he should try to get as much in to the pot as possible. The best way to do this is if everyone checks to him, he bets, and is raised. Then Hero can reraise. This is a dream scenario for hero on the flop.

Mister Z
07-06-2005, 01:33 PM
This might be read-dependent, but I like a cap preflop to get the pot heads up. As you played it, I think a raise on the flop would be good for increasing your chances of winning the pot and because you might already have the best hand.

Bet the turn.

Check the river through because a bet is not for value and you're not going to get a PP or someone with a T or 8 to fold on this ugly board.

Derek in NYC
07-06-2005, 01:36 PM
Many people call with overcards. If any unpaired Broadway cards fold on 4th street, those cards become outs on fifth street, and AK has a better chance of winning unimproved. The last thing you want with AK unimproved is a bunch of other overcards like AJ, AQ, KQ, etc. continuing to the river.

GrunchCan
07-06-2005, 01:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I like a cap preflop to get the pot heads up.

[/ QUOTE ]

The best you will usually do here is 3-handed. The open-raiser is not usually going to raise-fold his hand.

Mister Z
07-06-2005, 01:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Capping won't isolate, since someone calling three bets cold will also call four bets cold.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't true at all.

bigalt
07-06-2005, 02:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Capping won't isolate, since someone calling three bets cold will also call four bets cold.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't true at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

AND it's not unheard of for the initial preflop raiser to fold to two more coming back at him. by the way, is that correct, with something like AQo?

PSW
07-06-2005, 03:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Many people call with overcards. If any unpaired Broadway cards fold on 4th street, those cards become outs on fifth street, and AK has a better chance of winning unimproved. The last thing you want with AK unimproved is a bunch of other overcards like AJ, AQ, KQ, etc. continuing to the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that you don't want people with those hands calling along. I just don't think you should call it buying outs. Outs are cards that improve your hand when you are second best. You are driving out folks and hopefully creating blanks.

This is just my understanding of the language. Please correct my if I misunderstand.

psw

Language is very important to me. I drive my brother-in-law crazy.

Rah
07-06-2005, 03:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't true at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Often it is.

mockingbird
07-06-2005, 09:44 PM
Thanks everyone for the help.

Much appreciated.