PDA

View Full Version : Hello! Skill/Luck ratio in Hold'em??

SittingBull
02-09-2003, 08:53 PM
Is it reasonable to assume 10/90??
Just wondering.
Sitting Bull /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

Dynasty
02-09-2003, 09:23 PM
Some of the opponents I've played against have a much lower skill/luck ratio.

SittingBull
02-10-2003, 06:32 AM
winners---about 10/90 ratio too??
just wondering.
happy pokering
Sitting Bull /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

Louie Landale
02-10-2003, 07:48 PM
You need to specify a time frame. The results of a 2000hour/year player will very closely reflect his skill level over his lifetime; thus making the skill/luck ratio perhaps 100/1.

If over the course of a single hand the ratio is perhaps 1/100. The bone-head with the full-house is going to beat the professional with the flush.

- Louie

SittingBull
02-10-2003, 08:14 PM
someone indicated a skill/luck ratio of 10/90.
I thought this was rather absurd for a consistent winner over time(2000 hrs./yr.).
I do NOT believe that someone with a skill/luck ratio of 10/90 would be able to be a "consistent" long term winner.
But the poster stated that a skill/luck ratio of 10/90 is sufficient to be a "consistent" /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif winner.
Do U concur??
I can't imagine how--UNLESS the field he plays in is consistently less than 10/90.
Hmmm
Happy pokering,
Sitting Bull

Louie Landale
02-11-2003, 08:05 PM
A "skill/luck ratio of 10/90" just doesn't mean anything to me.

Lets try this analogy. The inter and intra atomic energies (magnetism etc.) are all a zillion times more powerful than gravity. Yet gravity dominates the universe. How so? Its because all those other energies have a positive and negative side (like a magnet), but gravity is ALWAYS positive. So as the number of atoms increases (your poker playing time), the other forces start negating themselves (good luck cancels bad luck), and gravity (skill) starts to make headway. The more mass (longer playing time), the more gravity (skill) dominates.

- Louie

Bozeman
02-12-2003, 02:33 AM
Mathematically, skill can be expressed by expected win (in $/hr, for example), while the role of luck can be expressed by standard deviation (in $/sqrt(hr), for example). Since one is proportional to time, but the other to the square root of time, they have different scaling, just like gravitational and non-gravitational forces.

Thus to compare the role of these two, a time frame must be specified. If you have an hourly SD that is 9 times your hourly expectation, then over one hour, you could say 10% skill, 90% luck. Over 100 hours, you would say 53% skill, 47% luck. Over 10000 hours = 417 days straight, you would say 92% skill, 8% luck. Over one hand, you might say 99% luck, 1% skill on average.

Craig