PDA

View Full Version : Best Action Movie of the 80s - Sweet Sixteen!!!

swede123
07-06-2005, 07:54 AM
Last round was good. A few comfortable winners, a few close calls. I know there will be bitching about Beverly Hills Cop beating The Road Warrior and Top Gun beating Platoon, but what's a poll without some controversy. It's impressive to see Bloodsport hanging on. And now it'll probably make it on to the next round. GO USA! On to the new matchups...

Swede

Vavavoom
07-06-2005, 08:03 AM
That was tough.....

Few toughies in there...
Top Gun....Close call

samjjones
07-06-2005, 09:15 AM
How can I reasonably be expected to choose between Bloodsport and Wrath of KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN?

Lady Dont Tekno
07-06-2005, 10:12 AM
Bloodsport cruising into the Elite Eight, excellent. Predator is going to be a tough victory but I think we've got enough 2+2 kumite fans on here to pull Bloodsport into the Final Four! GO USA.

LDT

MoreWineII
07-06-2005, 10:34 AM
At least people are voting correctly this time.

samjjones
07-06-2005, 10:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Bloodsport cruising into the Elite Eight, excellent. Predator is going to be a tough victory but I think we've got enough 2+2 kumite fans on here to pull Bloodsport into the Final Four! GO USA.

LDT

[/ QUOTE ]
I have been loyal to Bloodsport all the way, but I truly believe Predator is the third best action movie ever made.

Lady Dont Tekno
07-06-2005, 11:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I have been loyal to Bloodsport all the way, but I truly believe Predator is the third best action movie ever made.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's understandable. Even I know the limits of Bloodsport. However the ONLY movie I would vote for against Bloodsport, is Die Hard.

LDT

samjjones
07-06-2005, 11:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's understandable. Even I know the limits of Bloodsport. However the ONLY movie I would vote for against Bloodsport, is Die Hard.

LDT

[/ QUOTE ]
Die Hard is #1 on my list, too. Die Hard losing in this poll would be a MAJOR upset, IMO.

swede123
07-06-2005, 12:21 PM
My prediction is Die Hard vs. Aliens in the final.

Swede

Paluka
07-06-2005, 12:24 PM
Blade Runner isn't really an action movie.

swede123
07-06-2005, 12:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Blade Runner isn't really an action movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

An incredibly astute observation...

Swede

MrWookie47
07-06-2005, 12:28 PM
Granted, Raiders of the Lost Ark hasn't had much competition thus far, but I think the semifinal match between it and Die Hard could be pretty close.

ChipWrecked
07-06-2005, 12:46 PM
I'm such a knee-jerk geek I vote for Star Wars flicks w/o even looking at the competition. Luckily this one isn't close. I'd love to see Bruce Willis machine gun a tribe of Ewoks.

private joker
07-06-2005, 12:54 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar på:</font><hr />
Bloodsport into the Final Four! GO USA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on, people. Get it right. It's "OK USA!"

tbach24
07-06-2005, 12:57 PM
How did New Hope get left out to this point and ESB is still in?

GO PREDATOR!!

samjjones
07-06-2005, 01:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How did New Hope get left out to this point and ESB is still in?

GO PREDATOR!!

[/ QUOTE ]

See the title of this thread for your answer.

Moneyline
07-06-2005, 02:37 PM
I know it’s not easy to come up with a list like this, and I applaud Swede for putting it to a vote, but the original 64 were seriously lacking.

Arguably the greatest action movie ever, DEATH WISH 3, is absent. I’m glad to see DEATH WISH 2 made the list (How could fans of action movies vote for GLORY over this???), but 10 TO MIDNIGHT or KINJITE: FORBIDDEN SUBJECTS are both better Bronson flicks than DW2. Have we no respect for our senior citizen vigilantes?

The poll pretty much consists exclusively of American action movies. And while American 80s action movies had the best explosions, gayness, and bizarre right-wing political content; many of the highest quality action movies from back then were made outside of the US: most notably in Hong Kong. For example, JACKIE CHAN’S POLICE STORY could probably win the whole tournament, but there are no Jackie Chan movies on the list. Personally, I’m not a big John Woo fan, but THE KILLER is one of the most famous action movies ever and it’s nowhere to be found. And while not as well known, some early 80’s kung fu flicks like THE PRODIGAL SON or NINJA IN DRAGON’S DEN would go deep if more people had seen them.

The Italian cannibal puke-fests like EATEN ALIVE, CANNIBAL FEROX (which has the greatest DVD commentary in history), and especially CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST are foreign 80s action movies deserving of consideration for the list as well.

The list of 64 also does a lot of genre hopping, which I don’t really mind, but if we’re going to do that let’s get movies like THEY LIVE, BLOOD SIMPLE or even Q: THE WINGED SERPENT in there instead of GLORY and the sequels to STAR WARS.

Some of the exploitation/action movies coming out of New York City in the 80s could make the list. MS. .45 definitely should, and you could make a case for one of William Lustig’s slezefests like MANIAC, MANIAC COP, or VIGILANTE.

As a fan of 80’s action movies I’m glad to see them being discussed, but I think we should get an honorable mention list going because some of the best ones weren’t included in the original poll.

I have a favorite Charles Bronson story. Both Bronson and the Swedish director Ingmar Bergman had the same agent, Paul Kohner, and the same publicist, the legendary Ernie Anderson. When Bergman left Sweden in a well-publicized dispute with the tax authorities, he visited Los Angeles for the first time, and asked Kohner to arrange a visit to a studio. Bronson was making an action picture at the time, and Kohner assigned Anderson to arrange a meeting between the two clients. Anderson was hesitant, because Bronson sometimes kidded him: "I know this isn't a Bergman picture, but it may make a few bucks." After he introduced the two men, Bergman asked him to explain the scene he was doing. "This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"
--Roger Ebert

swede123
07-06-2005, 04:29 PM
Good post! Yeah, there definitely could have been more diversity in the 64 picked. However, keep in mind there was an earlier thread asking for nominations. These were the choices. The problem with some of the more obscure movies you mention is that they wouldn't get past the first round even if nominated, simply because people haven't seen them. In all honesty, I consider myself a big movie buff, but several of the ones you mentioned I have not even heard of, much less seen. Thanks for giving me ideas for future rentals though, much appreciated.

Swede

ptmusic
07-06-2005, 05:31 PM
The Last Crusade is too close in votes. It has no business getting this far.

PREDATOR ALL THE WAY!

Favorite line (with an attempt at typing Arnold's accent): "It's a chungle out dayah. You fawl behind, yawn yawn."

He actually meant to say "It's a jungle out there. You fall behind, you're on you're own."

-ptmusic

Phoenix1010
07-06-2005, 05:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Favorite line (with an attempt at typing Arnold's accent): "It's a chungle out dayah. You fawl behind, yawn yawn."

He actually meant to say "It's a jungle out there. You fall behind, you're on you're own."

[/ QUOTE ]

This made me laugh really really hard. That's exactly what that line sounds like.

Moneyline
07-06-2005, 06:10 PM
Ruthless Reviews (http://www.ruthlessreviews.com/80saction/80saction.html)

This is my favorite review site for 80s action movies. Very funny and definitely worth a look.

swede123
07-07-2005, 12:41 AM
Wow, FMJ is only barely beating the third Indiana Jones movie. I'm pretty surprised.

Swede

EliteNinja
07-07-2005, 02:20 AM
BLOODSPORT ALL THE WAY!!!!!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/EliteNinja/twoplustwo/bloodsport-chongli.jpg

"Your break my record (points to the time on the board). Now I break you (points to Dux), like I break your friend (points to Jackson's Harley bandana)!"

masse75
07-07-2005, 06:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/EliteNinja/twoplustwo/bloodsport-chongli.jpg

"Your break my record (points to the time on the board). Now I break you (points to Dux), like I break your friend (points to Jackson's Harley bandana)!"

[/ QUOTE ]

Much better quote is, "Very good...but brick NOT HIT BACK!!!"

I routinely perform the 'deft touch' at work.

Dynasty
07-07-2005, 06:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How can I reasonably be expected to choose between Bloodsport and Wrath of KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/DynastyPoker/042804_khaaaan.png

It appears my favorite Star Trek film is going to be defeated.

Lady Dont Tekno
07-07-2005, 08:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Much better quote is, "Very good...but brick NOT HIT BACK!!!"

I routinely perform the 'deft touch' at work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dim Mak = Death Touch.

LDT

nervous
07-07-2005, 09:21 AM
And the award for the least heterosexual comment goes to...