PDA

View Full Version : cost of setting up a wireless network

cnfuzzd
07-06-2005, 05:36 AM
So i am wanting to set up a wireless network in my house, and i can either do it myself, or have the cable company do it for me. I was curious as to how much it would be for whatever necc. components i might need and if anyone had any advice one way or the other.

peace

john nickle

Duke
07-06-2005, 05:39 AM
You can get an 802.11B router (good enough for you) for like $30. That'll pretty much handle it. Plug it in, follow the directions (very simple) and you'll be all set.

~D

Maulik
07-06-2005, 07:49 AM
$60 can get you a 802.11g router & a wireless g card

partygirluk
07-06-2005, 09:42 AM
No need to get the Cable Company in unless you are unbelievably horrendous with technology.

wh1t3bread
07-06-2005, 10:13 AM
If you need a wireless cable router buy this. (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=5250774&type=product&productCate goryId=pcmcat25300050001&id=1051384663529)

If you already have a router just buy an access point. (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=5250809&type=product&productCate goryId=pcmcat25300050001&id=1051384664188)

Get either a notebook or desktop wireless card. Most stores sell package deals on these components anyway. You should be able to set this network up and have it running yourself in under an hour. No need to get the cable company involved.

Also, I recommend Linksys products. My experience with Netgear and D-Link has not been good. Linksys is much better, IMO.

TheWorstPlayer
07-06-2005, 10:54 AM
Ive had good experience with both Linksys and Netgear. They are both fine, although I would give a slight edge in reliability to Linksys and a slight edge in ease of use/quality of interface to Netgear. Don't let the cable company rip you off. You can get set up for $50. Or pay my $300 fee and I'll come over and do it for you. Oh yeah, you also have to cover the $50 for the equipment. PM me if you're interested.

Fishwhenican
07-06-2005, 10:54 AM
Linksys is good stuff. I use it here at work.
I use a Netgear device at home that is a combination DSL modem, router, access point, switch and firewall and it has worked very well for me there. http://www.netgear.com/products/details/DG834G.php
I have had bad luck with dlink stuff so would not reccomend that brand.

One interesting thing I had a hard time with after installing the 802.11g wireless in my home was a problem with the connection dropping. It ended up being a problem with my 2.4Ghz cordless phones. It was like shaking dice when you would answer or make a call. Sometime the wireless would work OK other times it cut out. I had to buy a 4.8Ghz cordless phone and the problem was solved. Microwaves can sometime cause a problem as well, but I have not seen that myself

Another thing to consider is where you place the access point. The range on these things is never what you expect or want it to be. Find a central location or one that is close to where you want to use the wireless device(s).