PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about your First tournament Win

balt999
02-09-2003, 08:07 PM
When you win a poker tournament you feel a sense of accomplishment, but what was your first tournament win like?

For me...I remember it like it was yesterday:

It was the monday after Thanksgiving 2001...It was the Orleans weekly Monday No Limit Tournament...$20 buy in with unlimted rebuys in the first hr. The field ranges from 120 -180 players...On this particular night....I believe the field consisted of 126 players...What I remember most about that night is how the cards were cold in the beginning...I ended rebuying onces and adding on at the end of the first level.....For another hour, the only way I could win pots were to steal blinds and make moves against players showing weekness....Then I hit a hot streak where I was dealt AA KK AK on just about every hand....and winning...I took a huge stack going into the final..and stayed out of trouble throughout...Letting every body eliminate each other..In fact the only two people I eliminated at the final table were the last two...I remember the last hand when I called the last player's all in bet with K8off and flopped two pair...

The elation I felt after I realized I won the tournanment was overwelming! I couldn't believe I actually outlasted a huge field to be the last man standing..I remember the ear to ear grin I had as they handed me $1154 is cash...Funny, the money dind't make me happy (Although it wasn't bad), but its the winning...the competition...the will to win that made me happy....

I still have the Orleans Plaque sitting on my shelve with the two cards that won it for me: K /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 8 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif And it's usually a conversation starter whenever I have guest over....

I know it sounds corny, but that plaque means a lot to me..it showed me that if you work hard enough you can accomplish anything....

Anyone else have a story to share about their first tournament win.

MS Sunshine
02-09-2003, 10:34 PM
"I know it sounds corny, but that plaque means a lot to me..it showed me that if you work hard enough you can accomplish anything...."

This a little OT, but when I was in High School each class year had over 2000 students in it, over 6000 for the whole school, but the only person in the whole school that I could not beat almost every game of chess I played was the next student after me in the alphabet, in my home room.

Paul won every game we played all year. The first USCF tournament we both played in, in the last round we were matched, I played my usual lack-luster game but he completely caved. I won some trophy, but the feeling of coming thru under pressure lasted my whole life.

Be proud of your win.

MS Sunshine

JTG51
02-09-2003, 11:57 PM
Mine was 6 months ago or so. The Monday night limit hold'em tournament at Foxwoods. 100 players or so.

I had a below average stack going to the final table. I got AA 3 times in the next half hour, flopping a set and busting another player twice. A little good luck never hurt anyone. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

gerf
02-10-2003, 01:54 AM
About 8 months ago, my 4th NL tournament and my first time at the final table of a $65 buy-in, 50 person field. I'm about 3rd biggest stack with 7 people left. The short stack goes all in, the person next to him goes all in, the small blind goes all in. I'm in the BB and say something like "I doubt I'll find anything good under here." I look down and find two beautiful aces, and I throw my stack in. The others have something like J9, TT, and AK. When it was down to heads up, my opponent was getting run over with good starting hands, but I never had much to get in trouble with against his monsters. I finally win it with K9 (a monster compared to your K8 /forums/images/icons/wink.gif ).

I certainly got lucky. I agree that the feeling of winning was better than getting the money.

CMP
02-10-2003, 10:52 AM
I've only played in 4 B&M tournaments (none online, don't count home-game single table tournaments), and I've been pretty pleased with the results. I hope to score a win at THIS year's Vegas trip (March, Final Four).

Wednesday night limit HE Orleans - first tourney, busted about 30th of 100+
Thursday noon Luxor tourney - 2nd place
Friday noon Luxor tourney - 6th place (still in the money)

All of the above from last year's Vegas trip.

And just last week

Wednesday, Limit HE at Blue Chip, IN - 14th place out of 96 (paid 10 places, grrrr). Trip report down the board, there's some hand questions within, if anyone would like to comment.

Still waiting,

CMP

ohkanada
02-10-2003, 11:10 AM
The 1st tourney I won was signicant for a few reasons. It was my 1st pure NL tourney. I had played others that were limit and became NL after 3 rounds. The other reason is it was at Foxwoods and the guy I split it with had all these fossils and we talked after the tourney and Greg told me about 2+2. The only significant hand I remember is at the final table I made a grand suckout with TT vs QQ /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Ken Poklitar

sdplayerb
02-10-2003, 03:18 PM
First, great topic.

Mine was about my 8th tournament. Limit HE at Viejas, just a $12 buyin.
I got to the final table in around 6th position and just a monster run of straights, and flushes.
Thing is, they stop when down to four players and whoever is in 1st then takes first. So you even moreso have to go after it.

Somone limped before me, so I did with Q9 (i was in first of 2nd in chips).
JT was on the flop, and i knew i would hit it. Just about everybody was all-in. K.
I flip it over then.

Everybody at the table knew each other except me (i was only 28, so everyone was also at least 15 years older then me) and just about all of them scowled at me, except the guy to my right said you know you just won the tourney right?
Yes I do.

The $400 was nice and all. But the elation was worth more than that.
Then I went on a horrible run..then I learned more about this game called No Limit.

SD

Mackie
02-10-2003, 03:25 PM
Fun topic. First TOC qualifier at Canterbury Park, Jan 2001. $100 buy-in w/one $100 rebuy, limit he, final table NL. 73 players. We cut a deal at the start of play at the final table where everyone took $1000 and played on for the rest of the prize pool ($5k). Initally the chip leader objected to the deal but reluctantly agreed after I doubled through against him with AKs against QQ on the first hand, even though there was one very short stack. Another hand I remember a solid tight player limped in EP and all fold to me in BB with Q7o. Flop Q74, we both get all in on the flop and he is out with AA. Heh. I knew him limping at this stage was fishy. Final hand I re-raise all-in on BB with Ac5c, the original chip leader calls with 9dTd(?!), game over. I didn't play the TOC. I was pleased with finishing 1st, didn't really care about qualifying because I knew I wouldn't use it, but the $2500 for first was definitely the best part of winning that one.

whiskeytown
02-11-2003, 12:00 AM
can't remember...it was online, $10, and fairly insignificant..

let me tell you about my first money finish though...Playing a live Canterbury tourney...I end up squeeking into seat 1, with twice the BB, and having to pay it first hand...

I get AA...triple up, and milk it for awhile

finally we're down to 3...I have J10 suited and push all in (I have shortest stack) - both call

It's AQ vs KK vs 10/J suited...LOL 3 guys and 3 mega hands...

KK took it down...I got a kick out of how big those hands were when I finally made a steal...

but that was memorable, esp. the AA

RB

limitti
02-11-2003, 12:17 PM
My first tourney win was not a free roll at Planet Poker. The price money was $500 ($150 for the winner) except if the winner had not played for real money ever he would win a t-shirt. It was the first tournament ever at Planet Poker and it was also my first tournament ever. 300 participants and I won the whole thing and got a t-shirt + bonus deck of cards /forums/images/icons/smile.gif It felt absolutely great, beating every player in my very first tourney ever.
Since then I have won many tourneys but I have never had so big chip lead. I was the leader when about 30 players where still left the second player had the stack about 25% of my stack. Cards where running really hot all the time.

Jimbo
02-11-2003, 01:04 PM
I didn't win this tournament, heck I even missed making the money but that is what makes it my most memorable.

It was sometime in the late 80's and I was entered into the Gold Coast Open. Limit holdem with about 380 entrants. I eliminate Tom McEvoy with about 50 players left, he raised UTG with JT suited folded to me in the BB with JJ, I raised and he called. Flop comes Txx rainbow, I bet he raises, I call then I check call to the river with the board double pairing the xx. Out he goes and he says something like "I tell people not to do this in my book". Heck I had no idea who he was and went on playing the tourney. A railbired then tells me his name and I only shrug, still no big deal to me.

We get down to 29 players, the tourney pays top 28 being top heavy. I am short stacked UTG with QQ and raise taking me down to one big bet left in my stack. Short stack to my left reraises me, folded all around so I just put in the last of my chips putting me all in and him with 1 chip left. He has K/Q suited, flop comes one of his suit with no King, runner runner he makes his flush and I am out. I may have been able to dodge this bullet but I do not see how.

At any rate they announced that the final money tables had been reached and I got a certificate for a free poker book by ????? You guessed it Tom McEvoy!! I laughed saying "Heck, I just put this guy out, what am I gonna learn form him?"; and handed the certificate to a railbird on my way to the 15/30 game! LOL

limitti
02-11-2003, 01:17 PM
First sentence should be "..was a free roll...", of course.

Swiss Cheese
02-11-2003, 05:58 PM
My first tourney win came in my 2nd tourney, first tourney I did not even understand the chips and was too afraid to ask what the denomonations were. Since there are very few tourneys around chicago, I had to wait till I went to Vegas, I could not wait until the 120 limit tourney on wed or thur. night at the Mirage.

I played a very good game, actually better then my ring game at the time... waited for quality hands most stood up but, It got down to 2 tables and I was short stacked. I kept getting small pairs and raise with them they would hold up or everyone would fold.

I made it to final table with the least amount of chips. I looked for hands to double up and i did a couple times. I waited for other short stacks to bust out to move up money. When it got down to 3 I suggested a deal and the 2 locals not so politely declined and laughed. One was slightly drunk and the other I was told is a local young pro.

They were both aggressive and got them both to go to the river with my AA that held up. I then became the agrresive one and busted them out shortly there after.

They took my picture with the chips and gave me the 3500.00, I was on top of the world. I somehow lost the framed picture before I left Vegas a few nights later. My wife somehow got the Mirage to send another picture to me, and yes, to get that framed picture back was one of the best gifts I have ever recieved.

Swiss Cheese

bumaloting
02-13-2003, 01:55 AM
I first would like to point out that this is not a win, but still worth the reading for it is a very, very good read. With that said: I played in my first touny, in Oct. of 2002, in International Waters, off the coast of West Palm Beach. Every weds. is a defferent touny, the 3rd wed. is Limit Texas Hold' em, and thats why I was there.
There were only 39 players, each paying $55., rebuys and add on's (max of 2) at $30. I made it to the final table with a total of 9 players (money went to the top 6), I was the shortest stack out of the other 8 with 3 chips, and the BB to my right. I got a Ace nine (unsuited), and tock into the consideration that this was a very loose touny (I was playing to survive), and for some reason thought that I was in early position and b/c of that it wasn't playable and threw it away (without remembering I'd be all-in). Thankfully I did, cause we lost a player on that hand. So now only 2 players left and I posted my BB (left me with 1 chip), I was hoping for a free flop. I can't remember my cards but 3 players raised it, and went all-in. So I fold. There out, and I post my SB. I got a pair of 7's. I thought, "I'm saved". The button raised the BB, who folded and he won with AQ, an ace hit the flop, and I didn't get my 7. I placed 5th, and got $315. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif , but the feeling of beating everyone else is still with me and the emotions. I'm already getting myself ready for the 19th.
I have since found that AQ very unprofiatable myself, I went all-in with it in January (The same touny) and lost, as just one example.

redsimon
02-13-2003, 09:12 AM
My first live win was last month. A £50 pot limit HE in Sheffield England. I got though the rebuy stage without having to rebuy and didn't top up as I had 4000 chips from my initial 1000 buy in. My stack dwindled down till I made a move with A4o..the bb reraised and if I fold I have one chip (and a chair!) left. I call. BB shows QQ. Flop 356, turn x river Ace!

I hang in to final two tables with less than average stack. I then hit a rush and by the time final starts I have a quarter of total chips.

After lots of tooing and froing we get to last three hands and a chip count. I am heads up after we agreed a saver. Last three hands I get 99 AA and AKs and win all three preflop. A nice £3100 for a £50 buy in. Funnily enough winning felt more than the money, though the money was nice too!

nanoking
02-14-2003, 06:14 AM
My first two tournament wins came back to back at planet poker. A $20 pot limit holdem followed by a no-limit one. I had just started playing having read the books and practiced TTH. I remember being a little disappointed that my playing style wasn't going to knock any players. I remember feeling calm as the numbers got down at the final table. I was 4th in chips with 6 players left, but was comfortable that I could pit them against each other. I remember hiccuping at my keyboard when it got down to 3 players as some kind of parasympathetic signal to change gears. In both tourneys I was 3:1 outchipped when it got heads up. Both times the other player went hyper aggressive and I trapped them. There was some back and forth, but I was controlling the size of the pots to benefit me. It was like the end of the Polanski film "Ninth Gate" when I saw the tournament completed screens. The next week I played poker in a B&M for the first time and chopped in the tournament I entered. It was great seeing the playing styles that got people to certain points in the tournaments and where it failed them. My first three tourneys were "textbook", but since then tourneys have been a money suck and ring games have been a grind. It was the start down the road of experiencing every aspect of "Rounders". Haven't 3 bet any champs yet. I was driving a van last week, totally unrelated though.

NK

Josh W
02-14-2003, 06:18 AM
Well, I had just finished my junior year in college, and had just seen rounders, and thought I knew how to play texas holdem. One night, while chillin with some amigos in a bowling alley, I see they have a cardroom.

Turns out that on weekdays at 5:30, they have a $23 buyin, NL tourny, w/ 200 to the winner, and the rest (usually) to 2nd place. Usually about 12 players.

I show up, and get 11th outta 12. I was hurt, emotionally and financially.

But I was determined.

I was driving a forklift in a warehouse at the time, and I spent my lunchbreaks dealing out 10 hands, a flop, and seeing which types of hands won most often.

Then, at the end of the summer, about time to go back to LA for college, I play again, and end up winning. Don't remember too many hands. Any, actually.

But I went home, flashed my 10 $20 bills to my folks, and was hooked.

I went back to college, and almost bought two full textbooks with the "motherlode" which I had won.

Then, after graduating, I went back to Washington State for a couple of weeks before I started working.

Three days before I left WA for CA, I took $65 and played in a tourny at a now defunct card room...limit holdem.

A dealer there was also playing in the tourny, and he and I were friends. We agreed to swap 10% of each other. He busted out right before the final table, and ended up dealing to me at the final table. We took a break right before the final table, and he came up to me, the chip leader, and said "take it easy....you can ride for while".

Well, I don't play a hand until AA UTG. I raise (limit tourny) 4 cold call (bad players in this tourny), and BB calls. BB has a WSOP bracelet for stud.

Flop came A45, two hearts. Me, the nut flush draw, and the BB (who had 45) go to war. My hand is good, and I have almost all the chips now.

I end up heads up, with a 3:1 chip lead, we strike a deal, and I head over to a buddies of mine house. I say "goodbye" to him, as this is the last time I see him before I move to CA, and give him half of my win (like $400 or something). He needed the money. I didn't.

The next time I'm in WA, he's moved back east. I haven't seen him since. And I miss him.

Josh

David
02-15-2003, 11:46 AM
I remember 3 hands at the final table.....6 Handed I get AA twice in one round and both times another guy (the same guy) had KK. Three handed I get A6o on the button and move in since the other 2 players were VERY passive and the BB almost beats me in the pot with KK, but alas it was not his day as an A came on .......the river of course.

But, my most enjoyable experience came in the $125 w/ rebuys NLHE at The Orleans Open in 2001. I finished a respectable 25'th in my very first NL tourney ever after only playing any type of poker for a little over a year. I was put out after going all-in with 66 (short stacked) by Syracuse Chris's JJ.