PDA

View Full Version : Duel

RacersEdge
07-06-2005, 03:36 AM
Anyone ever seen this movie - probably on TV. Not a great movie - kind of interesting in that it was directed by Speilberg - I guess about his first movie. Amazing that he made such a low budget thing like Duel a couple years before the monster Jaws.

Duke
07-06-2005, 03:58 AM
You don't have to go far to find extensive psychological analyses of Duel online. I didn't think it was great either, but I will call it neat.

~D

Blarg
07-06-2005, 04:48 AM
I thought it was a hell of a lot of fun.

RacersEdge
07-06-2005, 11:22 AM
I think the psychological stuff pretty much hits you over the head. It is a pretty "simple" movie - almost like an independent type movie you would see today.

-Skeme-
07-06-2005, 11:49 AM
I think there is more than one Duel. I remember the Duel involving the lead character being hunted and stalked by a psycho driver in a semi truck. I don't remember entirely what I thought of it as I rented it a long time ago. The bar scene was pretty good. Joy Ride completely stole the idea, right?

touchfaith
07-06-2005, 11:54 AM
Duel is an alltime classic movie.

[ QUOTE ]
Duel is a thriller about a traveling salesman called David Mann, who is played by Dennis Weaver. Mann is driving home on the back roads of the California desert. For no apparent reason, he is terrorized by a large truck, which repeatedly chases and attempts to run him off the road. The film consists of a cat and mouse struggle between the truck and Weaver's character. Throughout the film, the driver of the truck remains anonymous and unseen, with the exception of one shot where his arm beckons Weaver to pass him, and another shot where Weaver observes the driver's snakeskin boots. His motives for targeting Weaver's character are never revealed. In reality, the truck driver was played by the late stuntman and character actor Carey Loftin.

[/ QUOTE ]