PDA

View Full Version : Super aggresive player on my immediate left

gerf
02-09-2003, 04:16 PM
Local NL 50 person tournament, start with T1000, add-on T1200 after two rounds, T800 rebuys for first two rounds. I draw a seat at the last table that breaks to make the final table, so I'm likely stuck in that seat for much of the day. To my immediate left is a player who is extremely aggressive and very loose.

I have raised a couple times with decent hands, but not power houses (once from cutoff, other when everyone folds to me in the small blind). He has raised all in each time and I have folded. He is beating up on other players as well and has shown down some pretty weak hands and has gotten a little lucky. I have raised some other hands as well, but I believe he is not as aggressive when more than one person is in the hand or if there are a lot of others left to act. At this point, I have a tight and just slightly aggresive image.

So we are down to 4 tables, I have T3500 (a little above average) and he has T5500 (table chip leader). Blinds are T200-T400 (6th round) and the rounds last 15 minutes. Top 10 get payed, pay scale is top heavy to the top two players.

My question is, do I make a stand with an average hand or do I wait it out and hope to either pick up a good hand or hope he gets busted out or one of us gets moved? My fear is that if I can not pick up my normal amount of blinds from late position, I'm going to get short stacked quick.

I end up raising to T1200 from the cutoff with KQ, he raises all in, and in a semi-tilt move, I call. I know KQ is not a great hand to go all in with, but he could very well have a worse hand (KJ, JT, suited connectors), or any pocket pair. He also could have almost any ace, which is not good for this hand. This time he has 88, and I go home early.

So, what is the best strategy against this type of player? What hands should I be willing to call an all-in bet at this stage of the tournament (or within the next couple of rounds) against him?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

MS Sunshine
02-09-2003, 10:08 PM
"To my immediate left is a player who is extremely aggressive and very loose."

This is my number one thing I hate about tournaments, because I never stay in this position live.

"My question is, do I make a stand with an average hand or do I wait it out and hope to either pick up a good hand or hope he gets busted out or one of us gets moved? My fear is that if I can not pick up my normal amount of blinds from late position, I'm going to get short stacked quick. "

The first decent hand, considering position, my chips beat him into the pot on his all-in. KING-QUEEN, I LOVE AGAINST THIS GUY.

MS Sunshine

whiskeytown
02-10-2003, 12:53 AM
gonna side with MS Sunshine on this one...take him down before someone else does...

esp. if he's on your left..on your right, well, you have some warning...but as it stands, you'll never be able to make any plans without pushing all in...

down to 2 seats from the money...another story...but 4 tables left...get a stellar hand and drop him

and if you don't think KQ is great....remember this...he was only a 52/48 fav. - LOL - KQ vs loose cannons (esp. when I see a lot of raises without at least an A) - you can relax a bit...

but definately go for him if you have good cards...if you don't someone else will..
rb