PDA

View Full Version : Problem with 2nd Monitor...

Shilly
07-06-2005, 12:54 AM
I just bought a new PCI card because my AGP card only has one monitor port. After installing the video card myself, I restarted by computer with one monitor hooked up to the AGP card and another connected to the PCI card. Upon start-up, the 2nd monitor remained black, but the one attached to the AGP card was fine. Is this because I still need to install the drivers for the new video card? I put in the CD for the drivers, but it says that I will need to remove previous graphics drivers before I continue. Since I plan on using my AGP card to drive all video and just need the PCI card for a 2nd monitor, is this necessary?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

NateDog
07-06-2005, 12:58 AM
Right click on the desktop (working monitor of course) and select properties. Settings tab, click the '2' monitor, and check the box that says 'extend desktop to this monitor' or something like that.

Shilly
07-06-2005, 01:04 AM
Hey Nate,

I tried this and that option is not available. Perhaps that's because I haven't installed the drivers for the new PCI card yet??

P.S. -- Thanks for replying to my PM earlier.

NateDog
07-06-2005, 01:17 AM
When I did this, I put the drivers in. It worked for me, BUT, I later read the instructions (doh!) and it said not to. Is your computer not seeing the PCI card? You need to get into your device manager.

Click start, right click on my computer, properties, hardware tab, device manager bar. Display adapters is where your recognized video cards will be. This is where you will right click and disable an onboard video card, should you ever need to. Make sure both cards are showing up. You can also right click on the drivers and 'scan for hardware changes' if your comp didn't pick it up at boot.

Shilly
07-06-2005, 03:20 PM
I just tried what you said to do. I went into the device manager, but it was only picking up my AGP card. I scanned for new hardware, but nothing came up. I went ahead and installed the drivers for the new video card, tried searching for new hardware again, but nothing came up then, either.

Could it be that my video card isn't properly installed into the motherboard? It seems to be in there pretty firmly, but when I put the case back together the screws on the doors didn't line up perfectly.

NateDog
07-06-2005, 09:27 PM
Take it out, put it back in. Make sure it is all the way seated in the slot. You need 'some' pressure here. The screw that holds the card to the back of the comp should go all the way down.

gojacketz
07-07-2005, 10:57 PM
If what Nate said doesn't work, try another PCI slot. I have seen motherboards with bad slots before, unlikely, but possible.

Gojacketz