PDA

View Full Version : common situation

TightIsRight
07-06-2005, 12:11 AM
I don't have any stats on this player. This is my second hand at this table. I keep finding myself in TP weak kicker situations out of the blinds, and I don't know what to do. What do you do on this drawless board?

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, Hero. . .

pryor15
07-06-2005, 02:09 AM
calls, re-evaluates on the turn

TightIsRight
07-06-2005, 02:19 AM
(10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (4 BB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero. . .

BruinEric
07-06-2005, 02:20 AM
I'm all ears on this one since I commonly make SB plays like yours above. This same problem comes from mid or late position playing Ax suited, except there you have at least some position on the betting.

At the moment, I'm playing this read-dependently. On the hand you posted, there are times I'll fold to the flop raise. There are some ultra-passive players for which a raise is a clear indicator of a dominant hand and I'm mucking. Most of the time I'm probably calling on the flop.

If a K or 6 hits on the turn, I'm betting and will probably just call a raise. For the 6, this is probably weak on my part.

If a club hits on the turn, I'm betting into a field of 3 others and check/calling one bet to a smaller field.

If an A hits the turn, I'm check-folding.

If anything else hits the turn, I'm checking and then folding at least half the time to a bet.

pryor15
07-06-2005, 02:27 AM
since BB could have anything (a 7 isn't uncommon here), i'd probably check/call it down. your kicker no longer plays here, so the best you're actually hoping for is a push. it's also entirely likely the river invalidates his kicker as well. it's places like this i really wish i had a decent read on the opponent, but i say see the showdown as cheaply as possible. i'm now prepared to have 15 people tell me i'm a fish....

ALawPoker
07-06-2005, 02:28 AM
Fold. No need to try to re-evaluate on the turn. You're gonna check and he's definitely gonna bet. Don't give up an extra small-bet here, maybe your hand is best, but likely it isn't. You're not gonna beat party poker .50-1 games by trying to outplay people in situations like these, just fold your hand and wait patiently for the next one. If the pot's bigger and his raise still brings it down to just the two of you, then maybe you call it down and hope he's playing fast with a weak hand or you suck out, but it's not worth it here with just a few limps.

adsman
07-06-2005, 02:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If an A hits the turn, I'm check-folding.

[/ QUOTE ]

If an A hits on the turn I'm betting.

Dave G.
07-06-2005, 02:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Fold. No need to try to re-evaluate on the turn. You're gonna check and he's definitely gonna bet. Don't give up an extra small-bet here, maybe your hand is best, but likely it isn't. You're not gonna beat party poker .50-1 games by trying to outplay people in situations like these, just fold your hand and wait patiently for the next one. If the pot's bigger and his raise still brings it down to just the two of you, then maybe you call it down and hope he's playing fast with a weak hand or you suck out, but it's not worth it here with just a few limps.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't see how folding top pair is going to improve anyones win rate. If you routinely make these laydowns, you are being pushed out of many more pots than you realise.

To the OP:

I think you played this hand well.

The turn was a good card for you. Call down from here. You have a decent chance of splitting with most Ks, and you're still beating any 7. A 2 is unlikely, so I say you have to see this through from here.

Bodhi
07-06-2005, 02:53 AM
No, I wouldn't fold with top pair and the bdfd (I know that's a fraction of added value, but I take what I can get). The reason why this hand is so much better than, e.g. Jx for top pair, is that only one overcard can come to beat your Kings for a better pair.

The turn card is good for you. Hope that the river is an A(!), Q, J or T and you'll hopefully split if he has you outkicked for the moment.

SoftcoreRevolt
07-06-2005, 03:02 AM
The flop is a call, you aren't totally happy about it, but you have TOP FREAKING PAIR. The turn is a very good card, now you are ever so likely to split if Jack or higher hits, a two hits, a king hits (and may have just runner runnered to victory if villain had an unlikely 77) etc.

xenthebrain
07-06-2005, 05:44 AM
I call the flop in these spots and check-fold the turn UI against an unknown or passive player.

Read the section "Making loose flop calls" in SSH.

Sasnak
07-06-2005, 10:35 AM
Grunch:

You have outs to a K,6 and a BDFD and you're closing the action and are now HU with villain. I'm calling the raise looking to improve and not allowing the table to notice the new guy easily folds to a raise.

~

davelin
07-06-2005, 10:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Fold. No need to try to re-evaluate on the turn. You're gonna check and he's definitely gonna bet. Don't give up an extra small-bet here, maybe your hand is best, but likely it isn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hands can improve you know...

bozlax
07-06-2005, 10:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
since BB could have anything (a 7 isn't uncommon here), i'd probably check/call it down. your kicker no longer plays here, so the best you're actually hoping for is a push. it's also entirely likely the river invalidates his kicker as well. it's places like this i really wish i had a decent read on the opponent, but i say see the showdown as cheaply as possible. i'm now prepared to have 15 people tell me i'm a fish....

[/ QUOTE ]

You're a fish, and I'm sitting with 14 people that agree with me. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

I agree with this line. This one plagues most players, here.