View Full Version : I raised it, Ray - PLO8

Graham
02-09-2003, 01:52 PM
Online baby PlO8 game; 7-handed with .25/.50 blinds. A couple of poor players who gave me $150 in about half an hour. (...Luckily, I'm not as poor at this game as they were...). I have everyone well covered.

I get AhAs4s5c in the cutoff. A fold, a call, I raise the max. One fold immediately behind me and everyone else calls.

Pot $11.25. 5 see the flop of 2s8cJd. Not fantastic, but I'd like heads up to the showdown from here.
A check, next player bets 0.50 all-in, I raise to $3.50 (prob should have made it the max). Two more callers...errgh.

Turn: 2s8cJdTc and 3 active players, including me. Ick!...
Check, I check, next player bets $13.15 all-in into $22 pot. Other player calls. Should I fold here? The bettor is the more decent of the other players and I read him for a two-way draw of a possible low and maybe a flush draw he just picked up.

I think I made a mistake and called as well.
River is 2d, we check it down and I scoop the $46 pot.

Tell me I should raise more on the flop and/or fold the turn - then I can flog myself properly...

G

Guy McSucker
02-09-2003, 02:49 PM
I haven't a clue about preflop play in this game. AA45 looks good but I'm still a bit stuck to think of many decent flops for it other than 3-2. I would really like to hear what others think here. That very good article from Russ GCA about this game said that pair-less hands were best, so who knows?

Anyway. You didn't get a great flop. I guess you can see 4th street looking for the 3c, but I still don't see where this hand is going.

On fourth street you have nothing. No low, only a 3 can make you the nuts, and one pair with no draw except to trips which will give someone else a low. I would be folding.

When the 2 falls I expect you outdrew somebody else's two pair. This seems pretty lucky to me.

I really want to see what other people would do. Perhaps I'm just too pessimistic.

Guy.

Graham
02-09-2003, 05:04 PM
Yeah, the hand looks like a dead potato by the turn. I must have been feeling in a fishy mood to put chips in there.. /forums/images/icons/blush.gif . Getting heads-up on the flop may have been my only reasonable postflop play of the hand other than folding.

First all-in guy had total junk, 2nd all-in guy had top pair J's and picked up the nut flush club draw with a crappy low draw. The other active opponent had the bare A3 draw (the kind of thing I'd hoped to ditch by the preflop raise).

Ray Zee
02-09-2003, 07:34 PM
on the flop your hand only plays well if you get it headup. then you have a hand not too many can dominate. you need to get into the mindset of the amount of your raise is most important. in any omaha game you almost never want players to call. you want them out and if they do call you want to punish them. it is just too easy to pick up some kind of draw that they now take away all your equity in the pot.

on fourth street you have a fold. most times you will be facing a straight.

of course at these stakes the players generally have little clue, so they are hard to figure and impossible to put them on big hands.