PDA

View Full Version : How tight can you play and turn a profit?

PokerCat69
07-05-2005, 11:04 PM
I've had some financial problems lately and had to withdraw most of my bankroll to cover some expenses. I've left a little over $50 at pokerstars and hope to rebuild this playing the 5NL game.

I want to play tight as possible because there is less variance/risk and once I'm back on my feet and built up $300 for 10NL I can open up a bit.

I was thinking: AA-22, Aks-AJs, AK, AQ, KQs
Playing these hands a +EV game?

theben
07-05-2005, 11:16 PM
i think if you are playing in nano stakes games, playing super tight is the way to go

DMACM
07-05-2005, 11:55 PM
I play less than that and im profitable over like 100k hands. Not at 10bb/100 tho more like half that. I think I should probalby add more. I assume ur talking full ring.

PokerCat69
07-06-2005, 01:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I play less than that and im profitable over like 100k hands. Not at 10bb/100 tho more like half that. I think I should probalby add more. I assume ur talking full ring.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah 9 handed. What hands did I list that you don't play?
Also when your on the SB are you completing with alot or just sticking to the premium hands?

vulturesrow
07-06-2005, 01:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've had some financial problems lately and had to withdraw most of my bankroll to cover some expenses. I've left a little over $50 at pokerstars and hope to rebuild this playing the 5NL game.

I want to play tight as possible because there is less variance/risk and once I'm back on my feet and built up $300 for 10NL I can open up a bit.

I was thinking: AA-22, Aks-AJs, AK, AQ, KQs
Playing these hands a +EV game?

[/ QUOTE ]

Buy Ed Miller's GSIH and play his short stack strategy. It will be profitable.

cfb1739
07-06-2005, 12:38 PM
Eliminate AQo AJs AJo KQs from early position.

Don't call raises w/ these hands. You can raise these hands when folded to you in late position, or when there is only one limper (you have position on him).

Don't call late position raises w/ small pocket pairs. This could be anything and you might not get paid off if you flop your set.

BB_Specials
07-06-2005, 01:07 PM
You could stick to AA-77 AK, AQ.
Drop everything else.

This will probably be more profitable at such loose tables.

sammy_g
07-06-2005, 01:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
you want to be careful not to play so tight that you win rate goes way down. your risk of ruin is governed by both your std/100 hands AND your win rate together. you want to find a balance that minimizes that risk of ruin.

that said i'm certain that you can play winning poker with only that mix of hands.

sammy_g
07-06-2005, 01:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Buy Ed Miller's GSIH and play his short stack strategy. It will be profitable.

[/ QUOTE ]
it's profitable, but since your win rate is so low, i suspect you actually need a larger bankroll to play this style.

by the way, the cost of GSIH is about half of the original poster's bankroll.

meow_meow
07-06-2005, 01:46 PM
If you have any aptitude for HU, I'd seriously consider playing the HU SNGs on stars. You've got 9 buy-ins for the 5+0.25, which is enough for a minimal ROR if you can muster a winrate in the 60's.
Move up to the 10+0.50 then to the 20+1's as appropriate. I find the level of play much better (worse for winrate) at the 50+2.5 and above.

subzero
07-06-2005, 02:24 PM
Also look for the really loose tables (high % players seeing the flop). You'll have more opportunities to dominate another hand and you'll be more likely to get action on your monster hands.

shermn27
07-06-2005, 02:30 PM
Why not just play at lower limits and build up from there at first?

subzero
07-06-2005, 02:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why not just play at lower limits and build up from there at first?

[/ QUOTE ]
You should start at the lower limits and build up. You should have at least 20 buy-ins at the level you're playing at to withstand the bankroll swings. Don't move up until you have 20 buy-ins at the next level. I personally need 30 buy-ins so I can play comfortably.

Even at the lower limits, you can look for the loosest tables. A high percentage of players seeing the flop implies a loose table. In contrast, a low percentage of players seeing the flop (e.g. 15%) implies a table of tight players (maybe tight-aggressives). It would be tough to win at a table of TAs as a tight player.

I realize that the 10NL tables are loose to begin with, but it's good to start practicing table selection. High average pot size is another stat. to look at.

BZ_Zorro
07-06-2005, 03:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
AA-22, Aks-AJs, AK, AQ, KQs

[/ QUOTE ]
These are my only profitable hands at $25NL. For a while these were the only ones I played and I have a 20PTBB/100 winrate at that level. I loosened up with broadway and suited connectors later, but they hardly made a difference (about 8% of profit combined), and introduced more variance. I've asked other players to post their SC and broadway stats, those that have show nothing great with these hands.

Don't forget to keep raising with hands like AQs even though you've only got 10 buyins.