PDA

View Full Version : Playing any two on the button (stats)

Ghazban
07-05-2005, 09:07 PM
A while back, I decided I'd play any two cards on the button if there was no preflop raise. Whether or not I'd raise or limp would be situation-dependent. As I've got a reasonable number of hands doing this now, I thought I'd post some PT stats.

These are all from the Party 1/2 game with at least 7 people at the table. There were 1,291 hands in this span where I had the button.

VPIP: 49.96
PFR: 13.56
Win %: 19.83
WtSD: 18.48
W$SD: 47.00
BB won/hand: +0.22

Even under this (probably suboptimal) method of playing any two cards, I'm making more per hand on the button than any other position (CO is in 2nd place with +0.19).

MoDOH
07-05-2005, 09:24 PM
The interesting stats arenīt the combined stats. The interesting thing is if you are profitable with offsuit crap like 28o and the like...

Ghazban
07-05-2005, 09:31 PM
Clearly, I would need a much larger sample size to get that information. My biggest loser on the button is KK, which I've gotten 4 times, was against aces three of those times and flopped top set the 4th time only to lose to a runner runner flush (all the money went in on the flop).

I only posted this because I told the forum I'd be doing it a while ago and never followed up. I've been playing more limit, tournies, and O8 than NL for much of the intervening time.

jdaddy
07-05-2005, 09:58 PM
"Whether or not I'd raise or limp would be situation-dependent."

Would you briefly explain range of hands or conditions under which you were limping versus raising (beside obvious raises).

Ghazban
07-05-2005, 10:07 PM
It depends a lot on the blinds. If other people have limped in and I have trash, I'll usually just limp along and hope to flop something. If there's 1 or no limpers, I'll raise if I think I can steal the blinds and limp if I can't.

The Stranger
07-05-2005, 10:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It depends a lot on the blinds. If other people have limped in and I have trash, I'll usually just limp along and hope to flop something. If there's 1 or no limpers, I'll raise if I think I can steal the blinds and limp if I can't.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was playing against a guy the other day who would limp UTG with God knows what. He'd call my button raise, and fold to a flop bet nearly every time. Luckily for me the blinds didn't mess around with me. The one time I saw his cards in this scenario, my AQ ended up chopping with his A4, with AKx on the flop and some running pair turn river, and him calling hefty bets to get there.

I hope this further sheds some light on the earlier poster's question.

DMACM
07-05-2005, 10:27 PM
Interesting, im impressed if thats possible in the long run. What were u playing in the CO and what do you play on the button normally?

Ghazban
07-06-2005, 09:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Interesting, im impressed if thats possible in the long run. What were u playing in the CO and what do you play on the button normally?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't answer this definitively. The table conditions are the biggest factor. Lots of the Party 1/2 tables are very weak tight. There, I'm playing tons of hands (pairs, SCs up to 3-gappers, unsuited 0- and 1-gappers) with position as I can pick up the pot when its checked to me on any flop a high percentage of the time.

I also change gears on a "when I feel like it" basis that has no direct correlation to anything else happening at the table. If its not obvious what to do with a given hand (for example, with AA an a few limpers, a raise is obvious, with T4o facing a raise and reraise, a fold is obvious), I do whatever feels right to me at the moment.

sammy_g
07-06-2005, 01:20 PM
this is interesting.

actually after about 10k hands of 100NL 6 max -- i am new to no limit -- i am showing an overall *profit* from the big blind. i am winning money with random hands out of position. (that says more about my opponents than me, by the way.)

it blows my mind since i lose so much in the blinds in limit.

that said, even if you are profitable playing any two cards on the button, you might be losing money with some of the real trashy hands. try filtering out pairs, suited hands, and broadway cards in PT and see if you are still showing a profit collectively with the offsuit trash. if so, i will be impressed.

meow_meow
07-06-2005, 01:26 PM
How does that compare to how you normally play the button (i.e. results prior to the experiment)?