PDA

View Full Version : Greatest American Rock Band: Round 1

fluxrad
07-05-2005, 08:40 PM
Seeding is complete...

Fight!

touchfaith
07-05-2005, 08:44 PM
I still get a chuckle everytime I see Guns N Roses listed...

Anyone who thinks this 'band' is among the greatest of all time needs to have sometime stuck in their pooper to tickle their brain.

lol, guns n roses...hahhahahahah, it just gets funnier everytime I think about it.

mantasm
07-05-2005, 08:49 PM
I only voted for one top seed. i think something is wrong here

fluxrad
07-05-2005, 08:53 PM
I didn't pick 'em. I just need to make that clear.

Edit: also the following 4 bands did not make this list

17. Allman Brothers (29 votes / 3%)
18. Kiss (20 votes / 02%)
19. The Band (13 / 01%)
20. Boston (9 / 00%)

Any band not mentioned was not nominated during the ~24 hours during which the seed list was compiled. Or...the nominated band sucks (as in the case of the Neville Brothers).

SackUp
07-05-2005, 08:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ya, you voted incorrectly!

DasLeben
07-05-2005, 08:58 PM
People are voting Red Hot Chili Peppers over Aerosmith? FOOLS.

CallMeIshmael
07-05-2005, 09:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Anyone who thinks this 'band' is among the greatest of all time needs to have sometime stuck in their pooper to tickle their brain.

lol, guns n roses...hahhahahahah, it just gets funnier everytime I think about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree

OrianasDaad
07-05-2005, 09:29 PM
Some interesting matchups here.

Still like to see one with Ted Nugent, Tom Petty, Niel Young, Bob Segar and ZZ Top.

I like these poll threads. Keep up the good work.

mason55
07-05-2005, 09:34 PM
Uh... so how is Metallica beating The VU. If there was no VU, Metallica doesn't exist. And how did R.E.M. get a worse seed than Metallica. (Not complaints, just rhetorical)

Jack of Arcades
07-05-2005, 10:14 PM
Pixies.
REM.
Dead.
VU
Aerosmith
Van Halen
Beach Boys
CCR

Nottom
07-05-2005, 11:32 PM
I think the Ramones got the shaft in this poll, of all the bands that didn't make it they were the only one that I remember being mentioned about 3 times in the original thread.

ethan
07-05-2005, 11:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
People are voting Red Hot Chili Peppers over Aerosmith? FOOLS.

[/ QUOTE ]

My guess would be they've only heard post-"I don't want to miss a thing"-Aerosmith.

fluxrad
07-05-2005, 11:58 PM
I just want to know how Nirvana is beating The Grateful Dead.

I mean...I grew up on Nirvana...but come on. You can't even compare songs like In Bloom or Polly etc. to Casey Jones, or Truckin'.

CallMeIshmael
07-06-2005, 12:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Pixies.
REM.
Dead.
VU
Aerosmith
Van Halen
Beach Boys
CCR

[/ QUOTE ]

I picked exactly the same

tbach24
07-06-2005, 12:03 AM
Doors
REM
Nirvana
VU
RHCP
Eagles
Beach Boys
CCR

I still don't understand why Green Day is getting left off all of this, anyone care to explain?

fluxrad
07-06-2005, 12:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I still don't understand why Green Day is getting left off all of this, anyone care to explain?

[/ QUOTE ]

Green Day is not even the best punk band out of the U.S. not to mention the best Rock & Roll band.

I would have put the Ramones or Bad Religion on the poll before Green f'ing Day. Dude. I would have put Millencolin on the list before Green Day.

Seriously. Start listening to some real punk...the stuff that was made before punk was raped and left beaten on the streets by other, crappier music.

Jack of Arcades
07-06-2005, 12:15 AM
Am I the only one who can't listen to Smells Like Teen Spirit without saying "Self high-five?"

tbach24
07-06-2005, 12:16 AM
I'm not calling them serious punk either.

They have put out as many (if not more, I'm no music historian) CDs as Nirvana and are probably the most popular band of the past 10 years.

BottlesOf
07-06-2005, 12:17 AM
I like all of the results so far, except those two matches which are too close to call...hope those go the right way...

cbfair
07-06-2005, 12:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I just want to know how Nirvana is beating The Grateful Dead.

I mean...I grew up on Nirvana...but come on. You can't even compare songs like In Bloom or Polly etc. to Casey Jones, or Truckin'.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or US Blues or Samson and Delilah or One More Saturday Night or Shakedown Street or Saint of Circumstance or Hell in a Bucket or even Picasso Moon... The list could go on and on.

This isn't hippie dippy love fest music, people, this is straight up American Rock N F*ck'n Roll.

Not to mention all the various other influences pervasive in their music (like Jazz, Blues, country, bluegrass) which make them uniquely american; or that they toured 6-9 months a year for almost 30 years and continued to create new music throughout the whole run.

I chalk it up to the average age of posters here, but I too am very surprised at the lack of support for the GD. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

touchfaith
07-06-2005, 12:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

pryor15
07-06-2005, 12:36 AM
this may be the first tourney where the majority of the lower seeds are better than the higher ones.

PokerBob
07-06-2005, 12:38 AM
The Pixies are the 1 seed, right? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

DemonDeac
07-06-2005, 12:39 AM
these rankings sucks HARD CORE

Jack of Arcades
07-06-2005, 12:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Am I the only one who can't listen to Smells Like Teen Spirit without saying "Self high-five?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, during the chorus, want to yell "It's educational"?

How about wanting to scream "eighties!" during Come as You Are?

Jack of Arcades
07-06-2005, 12:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
these rankings sucks HARD CORE

[/ QUOTE ]

There was a seeding thread, he just ordered them by most popular.

PokerBob
07-06-2005, 12:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pixies.
REM.
Dead.
VU
Aerosmith
Van Halen
Beach Boys
CCR

[/ QUOTE ]

I picked exactly the same

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too, except for the Dead. I wish they still had those big hippy fests, so I could fashion a crude nuclear device and do the world a favor. Wait, is Phish still around? Damn.

CallMeIshmael
07-06-2005, 12:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Me too, except for the Dead. I wish they still had those big hippy fests, so I could fashion a crude nuclear device and do the world a favor. Wait, is Phish still around? Damn.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, the dead/nirvana race is the only one I had to think about.

I like nirvana a lot more, but I still had to go dead.

EDIT: also, van halen / eagles is close, the the eagles surely win in 'greatness'. But, my hatred of the eagles makes it van halen.

PokerBob
07-06-2005, 12:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, the dead/nirvana race is the only one I had to think about.

I like nirvana a lot more, but I still had to go dead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's the thing about the Dead; I hate them and their annoying little following. And you should to. I have spoken

fluxrad
07-06-2005, 01:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I chalk it up to the average age of posters here, but I too am very surprised at the lack of support for the GD

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.kreweofbacchus.org/kandt/images/ed_macmahon.jpg

You are correct sir!

zephed
07-06-2005, 05:25 AM
The Eagles suck, that is all.

bennyk
07-06-2005, 05:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

how did the pixies get seeded 16th???

whatever, oot.../images/graemlins/smirk.gif

bk

daveymck
07-06-2005, 05:40 AM
How there is no Ramones in this is beyond me the break through band of the punk movement and the effect they had on the breaking of the pistols and the clash was huge, maybe their impact was bigger in the UK than the states.

Green day should be on the list maybe not the best punk band ever but have made some fantastic rock records.

Chilli peppers over Aerosmith was how I voted mainly cos I think the peppers last 3 albums surpass even the earlier Aerosmith stuff and that boogie album thing of last year sucked ass big time, Dream on is still one of my all time favourite songs though.

blatz
07-06-2005, 05:48 AM
I muttered "The Doors?" to myself for about 5 minutes. I had absolutely no clue that peole still liked that band.

For me Metallica versus Velvet Underground was a real head scratcher. That could be the finals for me, with this lineup. Went with Velvet Underground, because I knew they would lose. Figured they'd be excited if the race was a little closer.

blatz
07-06-2005, 05:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I would have put the Ramones or Bad Religion on the poll before Green f'ing Day. Dude. I would have put Millencolin on the list before Green Day.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll set up a punk one, I started to nominate you to do it, but then I saw your pro Grateful Dead post, and decided I'd best put matters into my own hands.

bennyk
07-06-2005, 06:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I'll set up a punk one, I started to nominate you to do it, but then I saw your pro Grateful Dead post, and decided I'd best put matters into my own hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO, nh /images/graemlins/grin.gif

bk

Vavavoom
07-06-2005, 06:02 AM
I didn't vote as I'm not a rock fan...

But i'm guessing The Eagles...or Beach Boys...

cbfair
07-06-2005, 12:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't vote as I'm not a rock fan...

[/ QUOTE ]

Just curious, what kind of music do you like and listen to?

samjjones
07-06-2005, 12:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. BANG!

touchfaith
07-06-2005, 12:25 PM
Anyone that votes Metallica without bitching that EXODUS is not on the list is a...

POSER!

/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Jack of Arcades
07-06-2005, 02:29 PM
How many of people voted for Nirvana and not the Pixies realize that Smells Like Teen Spirit is almost a direct rip from the chorus of U-Mass?

MEbenhoe
07-06-2005, 03:41 PM
Pixies (I dont care about the Pixies this is more just a statement because The Doors plain and simple are a terrible terrible band that got glorified due to Morrison's death)
REM (seriously how are they seeded this low?)
Nirvana
Metallica
Aerosmith
Van Halen
Lynyrd Skynyrd
CCR

Personally I'm rooting for REM, Aerosmith, or Skynyrd to win, but I can see already that is very doubtful

mmbt0ne
07-06-2005, 03:48 PM
Doors
REM
Nirvana
VU
Aerosmith
Van Halen
Beach Boys
CCR

I won't be voting anymore if Skynard beats the Beach Boys.

renodoc
07-06-2005, 08:44 PM
Nirvana over Grateful Dead.

Is this forum insane?

cbfair
07-06-2005, 09:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nirvana over Grateful Dead.

Is this forum insane?

[/ QUOTE ]

69% of respondents are.

oneeye13
07-09-2005, 05:20 AM
keep hating assclown. your bands are duckeaters.

beernutz
07-11-2005, 02:59 PM
Allman Brothers
Little Feat
Steely Dan
Stevie Ray Vaughn and Double Trouble
Jimi Hendrix and the Experience
Talking Heads
Bruce Springsteen and The E Street Band

Hell the Doobie Brothers and Boston are better that some of the bands listed.

What are they teaching you kids in school now-a-days? /images/graemlins/confused.gif