PDA

View Full Version : Call this hand as chipleader?

waarior
07-05-2005, 07:40 PM
PartyPoker $50.
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

SB (t475)
Hero (t5690)
UTG (t1160)
Button (t2675)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t1160 (All-In)</font>,

Folded to me in the Big Blind. SBlind has 375 after posting.

Is this a call? I intuitively think yes. Am I a moron?

My read is UTG is pushing with close to any 2. He is a good player and knows his fe is about to be gone. If I call and lose will be left with 4300 and still in command of table yet if I win will be a near lock for 1st.
Thoughts?

lastchance
07-05-2005, 07:45 PM
Fold and move on. UTG is nowhere near pushing any 2, and you've got T7o without amazing pot odds. No reason at all to call this.

pokerlaw
07-05-2005, 08:51 PM
I would never call here.

AliasMrJones
07-05-2005, 09:05 PM
You're a moron. After the blinds he'll have 800, which with the current blinds is not that much different than his current 1,100 in terms of FE. The small stack has just more than half the number of chips as this guy and is about to get blinded out. To raise through all 4 players I think he has some kind of hand and your hand is complete garbage. Fold.

freemoney
07-05-2005, 09:08 PM
this forum is really turning to [censored]

AliasMrJones
07-05-2005, 09:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
this forum is really turning to [censored]

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's because I called him a moron, it was a joke. He asked , "Should I call or am I a moron?" I chose the latter with tongue firmly in cheek.

bigt439
07-05-2005, 09:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
PartyPoker $50.
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

SB (t475)
Hero (t5690)
UTG (t1160)
Button (t2675)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t1160 (All-In)</font>,

Folded to me in the Big Blind. SBlind has 375 after posting.

Is this a call? I intuitively think yes. Am I a moron?

My read is UTG is pushing with close to any 2. He is a good player and knows his fe is about to be gone. If I call and lose will be left with 4300 and still in command of table yet if I win will be a near lock for 1st.
Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a very bad call for several reasons (I say very bad not to make you feel stupid, but to emphasize that it's not even very close). UTG is absolutely not pushing any two. In fact I think he has to be very strong here considering that the blinds really aren't that big yet, he has 6 of them so he's not in ridiculous shape, and the SB is in horrible shape so I'm sure he'd like to see him bust. T7o really doesn't play well against his pushing range. You have a huge chip lead which is very easy to exploit with the bubble alive and the short stack so short. Since it is the bubble players won't want to call you unless they're fairly huge because they don't want to bust in 4th, obviously. You want to keep the bubble alive unless you yourself have a huge hand. You obviously don't. As well there is a fairly large difference between what you have now and what you will have if you lose because right now you can afford to PUSH almost every hand (this is better than calling as calling ranges are smaller than pushing range and you have folding equity) and still be okay if you get called and lose. At around 4000 this is not the case. Finally you are nowhere near a lock for first if you bust this guy and then the SB the next hand. One double up from the other guy and you're even. Hope that helped.

waarior
07-05-2005, 09:42 PM
Thanks for the replies. No offense taken from anyone.

Reason that I thought he would push with any two here is because he knows that I am a "good player" and I had been folding to pushes. I had also been very agressive at stealing and he knows he is forfeiting his upcoming blinds. If he doesn't push this hand he will be down to 860 and the blinds will be at 300 before he can act again.
Though slightly below average was thinking this hand might be good enough to gamble with as it was unlikely it would be dominated. If I lose I am still in the drivers seat yet if I win (35%+ of the time) I'm driving a Mack truck.

Needless to say I did fold and move on but when I was reviewing my hand histories this hand was really bothering me, and I really couldn't figure out why.

freemoney
07-05-2005, 09:51 PM
no, no it was def in reference to OP, you were much kinder then i would have been.

AliasMrJones
07-05-2005, 09:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the replies. No offense taken from anyone.

Reason that I thought he would push with any two here is because he knows that I am a "good player" and I had been folding to pushes.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with that line of thinking is that in this case he has to get not only you, but the other players to fold to steal the blinds. (and your hand is garbage anyway.)