PDA

View Full Version : Playing an opponent who will always Raise with the Ace door card

BeerMoney
07-05-2005, 07:10 PM
I believe this is a question Dynasty asked as like his first post, but that was before my time.

I don't think I've come across this too much, but there are a coupla players on party who are more than happy to complete like 90% of the time with the high card on 3rd. (If no one else has yet entered the pot, I believe they are more likely to do this.)

But, for those of you with more experience, how have you handled such a player? And, if this is hard to handle, why doesn't everybody employ such a strategy. (Which will obviously be much more successful at a tight table.. blah blah..)

Spladle Master
07-05-2005, 07:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But, for those of you with more experience, how have you handled such a player?

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously it depends on what I have and the cards that are out. But in general it's a lot like dealing with a maniac in hold 'em. Isolate and punish him.

beta1607
07-05-2005, 07:28 PM
agreed - once you play back at them a couple times they tend to settle down. Also, you will know if you fall behind a lot of the time as they make open pairs etc.

BeerMoney
07-05-2005, 07:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But in general it's a lot like dealing with a maniac in hold 'em. Isolate and punish him.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's really not though. They're not raising everyhand, and they could have a decent hand even when they do not have aces, but some other hand like a 3 flush, or a smaller pair.

mscags
07-05-2005, 07:41 PM
Run then cry

beta1607
07-05-2005, 08:02 PM
If the player is raising every Ace and there are no other Aces out it is only about 20% that the person has AA I believe so the correct play against their range of hands is to punish them. Remember you will likely also have the advantage of acting last on future rounds of betting.

Andy B
07-06-2005, 12:52 AM
If you have a pair that you intend to play against him, raise to get it heads-up unless you're in a game where people just don't fold. If heads-up, give him some rope and see what he does with it.

BeerMoney
07-06-2005, 02:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you have a pair that you intend to play against him, raise to get it heads-up unless you're in a game where people just don't fold. If heads-up, give him some rope and see what he does with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason why ask this because I noticed a player tilting the other night.. This is typically harder to notice in an online game... He wasn't megatilting or anything. But he raise with a K up, and I almost came over the top with a 636. The problem was the bring in was fishy, and may not be cooperative to my 2-bet. As well as the fact that I wasn't crazy about battling it out with 636. It turned out the raiser was full of it and I wish I made the "gutsy" play.

Spladle Master
07-06-2005, 02:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But in general it's a lot like dealing with a maniac in hold 'em. Isolate and punish him.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's really not though. They're not raising everyhand, and they could have a decent hand even when they do not have aces, but some other hand like a 3 flush, or a smaller pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

It really is though. Hold 'em maniacs aren't raising every hand, and they could have a decent hand even when they do not have aces, but some other hand like big suited cards or a smaller pair.

Sorry for being a smartass, but c'mon, this is common sense. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Spladle Master
07-06-2005, 02:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]