PDA

View Full Version : Did I miss anything here?

Fitz
02-09-2003, 12:15 AM
Fairly tight passive 2/4 game on Paradise.

All fold to UTG+3 who bets, MP raises all fold to me in SB I call with JcTc. We see flop three handed $12 in the pot. Is this a questionable call?

Flop comes [ Jh 4s 5s ]. I bet, UTG+3 folds, MP calls. Turn comes 9h making board [ Jh 4s 5s ] [ 9h ]. I bet MP raises I call, but I don't much like it.

River comes 7c making the final board [ Jh 4s 5s 9h ] [7c ]. I check MP bets I call he shows down pocket queens and takes the the pot. I realize he raised pre-flop, but that could have been any number of hands I could beat.
With him raising the turn, it made me feel I was probably beat, but I still couldn't lay it down.

Did I get married to my top pair here? Did I miss something that could have saved me a few bets?

Things have not been going well lately, so I'm trying to take a critical look at some of the hands I play.

Any comments welcome,

Thanks,

JTG51
02-09-2003, 01:16 AM
I would fold preflop every time.

I would have folded on the turn against many opponents.

davidross
02-09-2003, 01:28 AM
I don't like the pre-flop call either. I make calls like this way too often with hands that look way better than they are. I think you need two more players to play this from the SB. From the BB I would play it. If I play it my preference is to check-raise the flop. If 3-bet I might fold on the turn If I don't improve.

Ed Miller
02-09-2003, 06:04 AM
I would have folded on the turn against many opponents.

I don't think he can fold the turn... his opponent probably has an overpair, and he basically has odds to draw to his five outs at this point (7-1 versus 8-1). With the extra bet he expects to make on the end... if there's basically any chance at all that his opponent is fooling around with AK or a pocket pair lower than Jacks, he needs to go ahead and call.

Bob T.
02-09-2003, 07:28 AM
You could very well be behind both the three bettor,and the open raiser, who might still make it four bets. Fold preflop, you have a pretty hand, but if you play it shorthanded for multiple bets, it will be a pretty expensive hand most of the time.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.

JTG51
02-09-2003, 02:29 PM
Good piont, majorkong. Thanks for the correction.

I'll change my statement to say I'd fold against some opponents instead of many.

There are a lot of when you won't be able to make 2 bets on the river. A T or J will look like a scare card to many players, and they'll check behind with an overpair. We've al seen timid players do this many times.

I agree that he could be fooling around with AK, but he'll also have JJ some of the time.