PDA

View Full Version : Tire question

Stuck
07-05-2005, 05:25 PM
To the more mechanically minded out there - my tire has a tear in the side, where I hit the curb, but the inner tube must be fine, as it isn't going flat or anything. Can I just ignore this, or is there some risk to it (like an increased chance of a blow out or something)? Thanks!

fluxrad
07-05-2005, 05:39 PM
Any structural damage to the tire could be an issue. I would have a professional look at it.

PokerGoblin
07-05-2005, 05:47 PM
I used to work in the tire business.

OK first there is no tube inside a radial tire. The sidewalls of the tire seat right to the rim. You cannot put a tube in a radial tire, so if it does leak that isn't an option. You'll need to buy a new tire.

It's also possible even though the tire isn't punctured you may have done structural damage to the steel cords within the tire sidewall. Watch for a 'bubble' to appear over time, if so the tire needs to be replaced.

A picture of your problem would help. Some scratches on tire sidewalls are only cosmetic damage that don't need any service. It depends on how deep the abrasion is. If it's more than like say 1/4 of an inch deep it could be a safety problem. Without seeing it your best bet is to take it to a tire store to have it looked at.

What kind of vehicle is it on?

PG

Stuck
07-05-2005, 06:25 PM
Thanks, knew I could rely on OOT. I'll take a pic of it this evening and post it. Its on a Honda Civic BTW.