PDA

View Full Version : Overcall weirdness

SomethingClever
07-05-2005, 04:02 PM
I very rarely go for overcalls. Tell if I screwed this up.

I have 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif in the BB. CO limps, SB completes, I check.

Flop comes 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif

Checked around.

Turn: 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Checked around

River: T /images/graemlins/spade.gif

SB bets. I call hoping to get a call out of CO. Meh? CO raises. SB calls. I just call?????

Edited: I didn't have an OESD on the flop. I can't remember what the exact cards were, except that they were low and I didn't have any thing but backdoor draws and maybe a gutshot.

I Play 2 Ski
07-05-2005, 04:09 PM
yeah, just call. I like to lead the turn here also.

Lost Wages
07-05-2005, 06:21 PM
Not betting the turn is pretty bad. If CO bets and SB folds then you can't call.

Lost Wages

SomethingClever
07-05-2005, 06:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not betting the turn is pretty bad. If CO bets and SB folds then you can't call.

Lost Wages

[/ QUOTE ]

Say I bet the turn and get called by CO. On the river I don't improve. Check/fold?

Lost Wages
07-05-2005, 06:29 PM
The pot is pretty small so that doesn't make a bluff very attractive. On the other hand, what hand does he call the turn with that he doesn't bet the flop with?

Lost Wages

SomethingClever
07-05-2005, 06:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
On the other hand, what hand does he call the turn with that he doesn't bet the flop with?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ax or Kx UI?

ggbman
07-05-2005, 07:06 PM
I cant fathom how this isnt a 3 bet after the CO raises. Given that it was checked around on the turn, and he most likely would have bet a spade draw there, i would think you're usually good. He could easily be raising a good ten here given the action and that you just called the river bet. The only thing i am concerned about is flopped set which he decided to slowplay and then he filled and gave a free card. Still a re-raise IMO.

aK13
07-05-2005, 07:14 PM
I don't like 3betting the river. I can't see what CO would be raising with on the end that we are beating. T? unlikely, since SB is representing one, and the only ones he would probably reraise if he were bold enough would be AT and KT, which probably would have raised PF. 5 probably would have bet the turn, and set probably would have bet the flop or at least the turn. T8 probably would have bet the flop.

Surfbullet
07-05-2005, 07:17 PM
I bet this turn very often when I pick up the flush draw.

On the river I think this is a clear 3bet, most big flush draws would have bet the turn, and this river raise is often just a T or maybe even a 5 that whiffed a turn c/r. There are a large # of worse hands that will raise (and call the 3bet), and there's also the possibility that the 3rd player will call with a T or some other equally weak hand.

Surf

baronzeus
07-05-2005, 07:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Lost Wages

[/ QUOTE ]

Say I bet the turn and get called by CO. On the river I don't improve. Check/fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bet fold unless it completed some draws, I think.

MrStretchie
07-05-2005, 07:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I bet this turn very often when I pick up the flush draw.

On the river I think this is a clear 3bet, most big flush draws would have bet the turn, and this river raise is often just a T or maybe even a 5 that whiffed a turn c/r. There are a large # of worse hands that will raise (and call the 3bet), and there's also the possibility that the 3rd player will call with a T or some other equally weak hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed in full.

btspider
07-05-2005, 07:27 PM
i'd raise the river the first time. CO is almost certainly pairless (unless he hit the T.. in which case he may call 2 bets anyway) after checking the turn, so your overcall hopes are on Tx or Ax. SB could have Tx (maybe 3x) and want to see a showdown.