PDA

View Full Version : Gulity Pleasure Songs

PokerBob
07-05-2005, 03:50 PM
We all have songs that we like that we are ashamed of. Let's see 'em. Here are a few of mine:

Phantom Planet - California - god i love that song, and I have a Savage amp, they use a Savage amp, I guess that makes it OK....

Hootie and the Blowfish - Hannah Jane - Easily one of the worst bands of the 90's, (and maybe all time) but that song is really good. I feel shame.....

RHCP - Californication - I hate, I mean HATE that band, but I really like that song

George Michael - Father Figure - Apparently I am gay. Get over it.

istewart
07-05-2005, 03:51 PM
IMO, the OTHER Phantom Planet hit was really good too. I forget the name; somebody help.

The Killers - Mr. Brightside, I guess. I think they suck but that's a catchy song.

MoreWineII
07-05-2005, 04:42 PM
Milli Vanilla, Blame it on the Rain.

haha, I'm gayer than you are.

IggyWH
07-05-2005, 04:52 PM
I hate techno, but after hearing songs like Sand Storm and Zombie Nation so many times, I actually get hype for them now.

WackiRodeMyGayAz
07-06-2005, 12:28 AM
Salt N Pepa - Short Dick Man

/images/graemlins/heart.gif

pryor15
07-06-2005, 12:34 AM
Wheatus -- Teenage Dirtbag

DMBFan23
07-06-2005, 12:41 AM
dude how you gonna hate on hootie. so what if darius does burger king commercials now

PokerBob
07-06-2005, 12:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
dude how you gonna hate on hootie. so what if darius does burger king commercials now

[/ QUOTE ]

That reminds me of another song: Crash by DMB, a band I LOATHE. I really like that song.

daryljobe777
07-06-2005, 12:30 PM
Wild Thing by Tone Loc.

CollinEstes
07-06-2005, 12:31 PM
I saw the sign

Ace of Base.

AsiaKurosawa
07-06-2005, 12:41 PM
rob thomas-- lonely no more

touchfaith
07-06-2005, 12:42 PM
Jewel - Morning Song
Sade - Cherish the Day
Tatu - Clowns

I win /images/graemlins/frown.gif

J_V
07-06-2005, 01:09 PM
Why do people feel they must like certainly types of music and dislike others? It's so lame. People try so hard to be cool. Do people stop liking mint chocolate chip ice-cream because everybody else does, or because it's easy to make?

Please don't be this guy:

You like Aerosmith/RHCP, before they sold out. You like old school beasties, when they used to rock. Led Zepplin and Jimi Hendrix were the best ever obviously. You are a big fan of the Talking heads.

But your favorite song right now is some totally obscure cross-genre crap with one of the best unknown guitarists in the world. Also, you hate current corporate hip hop, but you really dig a couple of dudes in the underground hip hop scene.

It's conveniently cool to also have a few "guilty pleasure songs." Gay.

DMBFan23
07-06-2005, 01:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That reminds me of another song: Crash by DMB, a band I LOATHE. I really like that song.

[/ QUOTE ]

there was a thread about that a while ago, bands you hate that have songs you love. I think Jason_T and one other frequent poster both picked DMB and Two Step.

razor
07-06-2005, 01:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hootie and the Blowfish - Hannah Jane - Easily one of the worst bands of the 90's, (and maybe all time) but that song is really good. I feel shame.....

[/ QUOTE ]

this IS a guilty pleasure

[ QUOTE ]
RHCP - Californication - I hate, I mean HATE that band, but I really like that song

[/ QUOTE ]

this does NOT qualify as a guilty pleasure.

Dr. StrangeloveX
07-06-2005, 01:41 PM
People don't like mint chocolate ice cream because it's gross.

...And a TOTAL sellout.

Roy Stalin
07-06-2005, 01:50 PM
I have a homemade CD titled "Guilty Pleasures" that starts with these 3 songs:

Hold On - Wilson Phillips
Blame it On the Rain - Milli Vanilli
Everybody (Backstreet's Back) - BSB

I defy even the biggest haters not to sing along with any of them.

swede123
07-06-2005, 01:52 PM
Did you include Wilson Phillips before or after that Whitecastle movie? If before, cool. If after, not cool.

Swede

OtisTheMarsupial
07-06-2005, 02:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
rob thomas-- lonely no more

[/ QUOTE ]

yup, that's on my list, along with Kevin Lyttle

razor
07-06-2005, 02:23 PM
Donna Lewis - I Love You Always Forever

PokerBob
07-06-2005, 02:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why do people feel they must like certainly types of music and dislike others?

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't about that at all. (At least not for me. I give not a [censored] about being "cool", as I am 34 and over it.) Some bands simply suck and have made lots of awful music, but have written one good song (or one you think is good.) Why is this so difficult to believe?

I for example, HATE the Red Hot Chilli Peppers. I don't like any of their songs, in fact I HATE most of them. But that Californication song I really like. I don't feel "guilty" about it. It's just that "guilty pleasure" is the label often associated with such things. I suppose I should have titled the thread "Songs that you really like by a band that you really [censored] hate." But that would have been too long.

PokerBob
07-06-2005, 02:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Donna Lewis - I Love You Always Forever

[/ QUOTE ]

I like that song too. And that, "Gotta be strong, gotta be blahblahblah......love will save the day" song by that chick I don't know the name of.

PokerBob
07-06-2005, 02:35 PM
.....but we could never agree on anything except "Lucky Man" by Emerson Lake and Palmer, so it's the only one we did.

Some others.....
Bette Davis Eyes - Kim Carnes
Suddenly Last Summer - the Motels
To Live and Die in LA - Wang Chung
I Kissed a Girl - Jill Sobule
Burnin for You - Blue Oyster Cult
Take it on the Run - REO Speedwagon
Who's Crying Now - Journey
Room on Fire - Stevie Nicks
Lucky Star - Madonna (OK, I don't like that one, but it would have been hilarious.)

Eegs
07-06-2005, 03:00 PM
All I got on my ipod are guilty pleasure songs. George Michael...yup...Chicago? yup...Fleetwood Mac? yup...Britney Spears? Yup...I always have to lower the volume when I drive by someone with their window down because I feel stupid blasting careless whisper out of my car to the general public.

Sykes
07-06-2005, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you hate one of the top 10 bands of all time?

VBM
07-06-2005, 03:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dance with My Father, Luther Vandross.

Apparently the depths of OOT gayness go even deeper...

PokerBob
07-06-2005, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you hate one of the top 10 bands of all time?

[/ QUOTE ]

good lord

Sykes
07-06-2005, 04:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dance with My Father, Luther Vandross.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see your Luther Vandross and re-raise you one Rollergirl in Geisha Dreams.

M2d
07-06-2005, 04:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Opportunities Pet Shop Boys

LSUfan1
07-06-2005, 04:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my 3 year olds fav song, like father - like son....couple of gays here I guess.

LSUfan1
07-06-2005, 04:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I saw the sign

Ace of Base.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, my son's 2nd fav song, only to blame it on the rain.....I have both of these on my fav pirated CD. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

IndieMatty
07-06-2005, 04:11 PM
Kelly Clarkson - Since You've Been Gone.

and like 5 Dashboard Confessional songs.

The de-evolution is getting worse..

whiskeytown
07-06-2005, 04:27 PM
I've been singing along to the Killers now for the last week, and as a whole, I don't think the "Duran Duran for 2005" thing does it for me....

but then, maybe I'm just obsessed with all things vegas - for lack of any other, I'll pick the new tunes from Kelly Clarkson -

but I like her anyways....she has a habit of wearing things that look like corsets - LOL

RB

johnc
07-06-2005, 04:37 PM
Smalltown Boy by Bronski Beat. It's one I've listened to over & over and it's quite literally very gay.

Bulldog
07-06-2005, 07:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hold On - Wilson Phillips

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is the definition of what the OP was looking for. I'll be shocked if anyone comes up with something that tops it.

Nottom
07-06-2005, 11:36 PM
Morning Train - Sheana Easton

GrooveNougat
07-07-2005, 12:42 AM
J-Lo. Jenny from da block.

Joshssj4
07-07-2005, 12:45 AM
Elliot Smith - Because

J_V
07-07-2005, 03:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This isn't about that at all. (At least not for me. I give not a [censored] about being "cool", as I am 34 and over it.) Some bands simply suck and have made lots of awful music, but have written one good song (or one you think is good.) Why is this so difficult to believe?

[/ QUOTE ]

That makes perfect sense to me. How come you dislike RHCP so much?

touchfaith
09-04-2005, 09:06 PM
This thread requires reviving.

I just went to pick up food and absolutely blasted Tatu on the way...

Something about them 2 chics (and their voices) does it for me.

Think either of them are into internet dating??? /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Edge34
09-04-2005, 09:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
IMO, the OTHER Phantom Planet hit was really good too. I forget the name; somebody help.

The Killers - Mr. Brightside, I guess. I think they suck but that's a catchy song.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you talking about "Somebody's Baby"? Or maybe "Lonely Day"?

I like Mr. Brightside too, even though I don't really like the Killers either.

Dave G.
09-04-2005, 09:37 PM
Dancing Queen - ABBA.

Actually, a lot of ABBA songs.

thatpfunk
09-04-2005, 10:09 PM
lil kim ft 50 cent- Magic Stick

I've had way to much fun while this song is playing.

wheelz
09-04-2005, 10:26 PM
gwen stefani - what you waiting for?

or maybe this is acceptable because she's hot and a solo artist now... I don't think so though. I despise no doubt.

MrWookie47
09-04-2005, 11:14 PM
I think I'm going to have to go with Tommy Tutone - 867-5309. It's not a good song, but I love rockin' out to it all the same.

DasLeben
09-04-2005, 11:24 PM
Kelly Clarkson - Breakaway
Hillary Duff - Come Clean
Nena - 99 Luftballons

/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Bill Murphy
09-04-2005, 11:50 PM
"Drops Of Jupiter" & "Calling All Angels". And "Sittin' Up In My Room". /images/graemlins/blush.gif OK, OK, and I'm a big Journey fan, too. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Also, tons of 70's stuff like Chevy Van & Brandy, but I'm actually not ashamed of any of those.