PDA

View Full Version : AQ vs AK broke every time?

boooomer42
07-05-2005, 02:57 PM
Just wondering what i can do to not go broke here every time, obviously i ruled out a 6 because he raised pf... i guess i was just hoping for Ax lower then Q or JJ-KK

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (6 max, 4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Hero ($98)
UTG ($189.8)
Button ($156.8)
SB ($230.97)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif. SB posts a blind of $0.5.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $4</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $3.

Flop: ($8.50) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $8</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $23</font>, Button calls $15.

Turn: ($54.50) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $45</font>, Button calls $129.80 (All-In), Hero calls $26 (All-In).

River: ($255.30) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $255.30

amoeba
07-05-2005, 03:02 PM
actually against me, I would have folded my AK to your turn bet unless if I had a really good read on you.

the way not to go broke is to fold AQ preflop to a raise when out of position. if you feel thats too weak, at least try not to play for your whole stack once you hit the A.

also don't be so quick to rule out a 6 until you have a read.

djoyce003
07-05-2005, 03:03 PM
I typically call down here instead of raising........if you raise, what is calling you? You just let KK fold instead of continuing to bet, you just made A-10, A-9, and maybe A-J fold as well....you also let AK clobber you by not controlling the pot size. Calling down might make him nervous, and keep him from full potting his bets, and you stand to probably win the most/lose the least under these methods.

Put yourself in his shoes...he has QQ, he raises, you call...flop comes with an ace, he bets, you raise....he folds.....if you call his flop bet he likely leads the turn again...or a weak ace could lead the turn again....instead you've gotten the pot huge and gave him the ability to push against you. Standard play here I think is to call down...relatively drawless board unless he raised with 89 or something, which isn't likely.

elus2
07-05-2005, 03:08 PM
you should either lead that flop or check call the whole way. you could easily have him crushed for 2 to 3 outs at this point but check-raising that big on the flop rarely gets you any action from hands you beat. as far as his hand range goes, he could have a million hands here. he was on the button and action was folded to him. unless you have a specific reason, you need to widen the range of hands you assign this player.

meow_meow
07-05-2005, 03:11 PM
Check calling all the way is much, much cheaper if you can't get away from TPGK

Wayfare
07-05-2005, 03:18 PM
I probably get real worried after he calls my first raise.

sourbeaver
07-05-2005, 03:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Check calling all the way is much, much cheaper if you can't get away from TPGK

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. By raising the flop, you just set yourself all-in on the turn, unless you're planning to check-fold the turn after he calls your flop raise.

amoeba
07-05-2005, 03:19 PM
holy crap!!!

where have you been?

sourbeaver
07-05-2005, 03:20 PM
A ghost /images/graemlins/ooo.gif
WB /images/graemlins/smile.gif

amoeba
07-05-2005, 03:22 PM
against the right thinking player, this line could allow you to get AK to fold.

I think I would have folded to turn lead since no flush draw on flop so I would discount that. 89 or 45 would try to take a free card on the turn I would think. AK or AQ wouldn't play it this aggressively typically.

Since the ace its out, its obvious what I have if I raised preflop and bet the flop.

so if I was villain, you would have gotten me to laydown best hand.

djoyce003
07-05-2005, 03:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
against the right thinking player, this line could allow you to get AK to fold.

I think I would have folded to turn lead since no flush draw on flop so I would discount that. 89 or 45 would try to take a free card on the turn I would think. AK or AQ wouldn't play it this aggressively typically.

Since the ace its out, its obvious what I have if I raised preflop and bet the flop.

so if I was villain, you would have gotten me to laydown best hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd agree against a thinking player this could work...against the typical party donk who will call all the way down with Top pair, no kicker, this play will almost never work. I had a guy call me down with Q6 offsuit on a queen high flop. I had AQ....they will play any two cards and won't fold top pair...some of them won't fold second pair.

soah
07-05-2005, 03:53 PM
If you don't know of any way to play one pair that doesn't involve putting your entire stack in the pot, then I would really suggest that you drop down to the nano-limits or give up on playing NL entirely.

It's not that there aren't times when it would be correct to go all-in with one pair, but the fact that you think you MUST go broke with top pair is really troublesome. The best thing you can do is just start reading everything you can. Your problems aren't going to be fixed by a single thread.

pokernicus
07-05-2005, 04:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I probably get real worried after he calls my first raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

This would set off alarms for me as well. Though, I have often seen people who make a pre-flop raise and then a continuation bet make what appears to be a "face saving" call in the situation that they get re-raised. (Either that, or they think you're bluffing and are willing to look you up...)

Though given the amount you raised, and your opponent having called, it leans a lot more towards your opponent having a real hand than just saving face.

TheWorstPlayer
07-05-2005, 05:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i guess i was just hoping for Ax lower then Q or JJ-KK

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
<font color="#CC3333">Button bets $8</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $23</font>

[/ QUOTE ]
Why raise if that is what you are hoping for? Don't you think he would be likely to fold those hands to your raise?

djoyce003
07-05-2005, 05:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you don't know of any way to play one pair that doesn't involve putting your entire stack in the pot, then I would really suggest that you drop down to the nano-limits or give up on playing NL entirely.

It's not that there aren't times when it would be correct to go all-in with one pair, but the fact that you think you MUST go broke with top pair is really troublesome. The best thing you can do is just start reading everything you can. Your problems aren't going to be fixed by a single thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is excellent advice.......you have no business at the NL table thinking that you have no choice but to get stacked with top pair, "good" kicker.

pzhon
07-05-2005, 05:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
That's too extreme. I would recommend not buying in for more than about 30 BB for a while, though.

I don't like the size of the turn bet, or the call of the turn push, but this hand was a defense against a blind steal (late position open-raise). The button doesn't need much of a hand to raise, and you don't need much of a hand to check-raise.

CourtesyFlush
07-05-2005, 05:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is harsh but I agree totally. To the OP: you can be sure that if you lose your stack with one pair, when a significant part of your stack did not go in preflop, you played it badly. With the line you took, you win the flop bet plus existing pot when you are ahead, and get yourself stacked when behind. Either lead out on the flop and take it from there, or checkraise and proceed VERY carefully if it is called.

TheWorstPlayer
07-05-2005, 05:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Either lead out on the flop and take it from there, or checkraise and proceed VERY carefully if it is called.

[/ QUOTE ]
No.