PDA

View Full Version : Poll for current and former baseball players

ripdog
07-05-2005, 02:45 PM
Regarding eye dominance and hitting performance. I was an excellent hitter when I played and had a very good eye for the strike zone (I never swung at pitches out of the zone). I never thought about eye dominance back then. I am a right handed hitter with left eye dominance. Here is a link that seems to provide a decent test for dominance:

Bullseye dominance test (http://library.thinkquest.org/C0125680/eye.htm)

Another method is to extend your hand out in front of you with your thumb up as though you are giving a friend the thumbs up sign. With both eyes open, pick an object about twenty feet away from you and position your thumb so that the end of it covers that object. Now, close your left eye. Did your thumb seem like it moved over to the left? If it did, your left eye is your dominant eye. If nothing happened and your thumb is still covering the object, close your right eye. Did your thumb seem to have jumped over to the right? If so, your right eye is the dominant eye.

I'm guessing that you won't see much thumb movement if you don't have a dominant eye (if this is even possible). Mine jumped way off to the left when I closed my left eye and did not move at all when I closed my right eye. What did you pick? How would you rate yourself as a hitter? I wonder how much of an advantage or disadvantage this trait imparts. I'd be interested to see how many people who rate themselves as good hitters are cross dominant. I'd also like to see what the prevailing pattern is regardless of rating.

Voltron87
07-05-2005, 02:52 PM
I am right handed, but left eye dominant and left footed, if that has anything to do with it.

ripdog
07-05-2005, 02:59 PM
What's the test for footedness?

MoreWineII
07-05-2005, 03:00 PM
Right-handed, right-eyed, right-footed, and my right ball hangs a little lower than my left one.

Voltron87
07-05-2005, 03:03 PM
i dont know if there is one, but I was a serious soccer player for a while and was left footed. it also works like lefthandedness/righthandedness, one is just stronger and better coordinated. My left leg is more flexible, stronger, and my balance is better on it.

asb165
07-05-2005, 03:29 PM
Someone has already thought of this (http://www.kidsource.com/kidsource/content4/hand.eye.dominance.html) They found no correlation.

kyro
07-05-2005, 04:04 PM
I was right/right, but I have ptosis in my left eye so that certainly impacts my results.

kyro
07-05-2005, 04:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i dont know if there is one, but I was a serious soccer player for a while and was left footed. it also works like lefthandedness/righthandedness, one is just stronger and better coordinated. My left leg is more flexible, stronger, and my balance is better on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm certainly right-footed, but I always played on the left side of the field because I was one of the few kids on the team who could ever kick with his left foot. Also, I'm guessing I scored about 40% of my goals with my left foot, 59% with my right, and 1% with my face.

ripdog
07-05-2005, 04:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Someone has already thought of this (http://www.kidsource.com/kidsource/content4/hand.eye.dominance.html) They found no correlation.

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw that already and don't believe that there is zero correlation. I didn't need to test to tell which of my eyes is the dominant one. I could tell by tracking the flight of anything--I always follow it with my left eye. When I think about trying to track a baseball from the pitchers hand to the strike zone, I think it would be more difficult to do it with the right eye. I would pick the ball up later and have less time to react. I'm curious as to the breakdown. Are more people right handed and right eyed? What is the breakdown? Besides, I could show you several websites that say the exact opposite of the one you linked.