PDA

View Full Version : Turn play against a 2+2er.

Entity
07-05-2005, 02:38 PM
Villain is aggressive and in my opinion, has been overplaying his hands so far. I've played with him before and that seems to be the consensus -- he's too tight and too aggro. I don't know if he knows who I am.

I got in a conversation about hands like these with scrub a while ago, and he said that I need to be able to pull the trigger a little bit better against some of these players when I have a good hand (in another hand, I didn't 3-bet AJ on a J345 turn when villain raised me; I just called down).

Ideally, if I'm capped, I should bet-call on a King or a /images/graemlins/spade.gif, I think, and check-fold anything else? Since I rarely 3-bet in this position I'm still not sure how I should reconcile the rest of my play with it.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls.

Flop: (7 SB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>...

sinfulslick18
07-05-2005, 02:42 PM
i like it.

PokerBob
07-05-2005, 02:47 PM
I like it. But what about c/ring the flop and leading the turn? A flop c/r here is a standard bluff, and he's likely to pop the turn anyway thinking you were full of it. Just a thought.

I hope villain wasn't me. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

StellarWind
07-05-2005, 02:55 PM
This is good so far.

[ QUOTE ]
Ideally, if I'm capped, I should bet-call on a King or a /images/graemlins/spade.gif, I think, and check-fold anything else?

[/ QUOTE ]
You have to show this hand down regardless.

TMFS9
07-05-2005, 02:58 PM
Against this opponent I like it as you will see something like Jx /images/graemlins/spade.gif a lot more often then you will see a made flush. Also I don't see you getting capped by a set very often on this board if he decided to wait for the turn. The only hand I would really worry about here is A2 especially if he holds the A /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Grisgra
07-05-2005, 03:11 PM
Yeah, I can't fold this to one bet on the river. If your read is that this guy is super-aggro, he might cap the turn with A /images/graemlins/spade.gifJx, or even Q /images/graemlins/spade.gifJx. Or Q /images/graemlins/spade.gifQx. Probably not, admittedly . . . if he caps the turn you are probably screwed more often than the pot-odds you need, unless he's an absolute maniac.

But I couldn't lay it down on the river. That doesn't mean I agree that it's an auto-showdown. Just that I'm not good enough to fold it!

EDIT: I guess we're getting 13:1 on a river call, eh? If it gets capped? Yeah, gotta show it down regardless. Pot didn't look so big after the flop /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

sfer
07-05-2005, 04:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Villain is aggressive and in my opinion, has been overplaying his hands so far.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the turn 3-bet is trivially easy with most TP hands given this information. There is no river card I'm not betting, and quite a few I'm 3-betting.

Derek in NYC
07-05-2005, 04:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There is no river card I'm not betting, and quite a few I'm 3-betting.

[/ QUOTE ]

You bet a non-spade ace?

sthief09
07-05-2005, 05:41 PM
what else can you do? check-calling sucks. he'll check worse hands and bet better ones. and he probably won't raise AJ or A/images/graemlins/spade.gifx

Derek in NYC
07-05-2005, 06:24 PM
So the rationale to betting here is the same as the check-call, check-call, bet line that one often takes against a PFR when you hold a weak ace and an ace flops, and/or the Clarkmeister--namely, that you get a crying call if you're ahead, and you most likely won't be raised if you're behind.

I assume that if you took sfer's bet any river approach, you'd also fold to a river raise, then, right?

obithrawn
07-05-2005, 07:03 PM
I think this is 100% true.

imported_azalin
07-05-2005, 07:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Villain is aggressive and in my opinion, has been overplaying his hands so far.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the turn 3-bet is trivially easy with most TP hands given this information. There is no river card I'm not betting, and quite a few I'm 3-betting.

[/ QUOTE ]