PDA

View Full Version : NBA Top Prospect Article

Brad22
07-05-2005, 01:54 PM
Attention Avid NBA Fans!!

Critique this article written by the Sports Guy from ESPN.com:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/050701

I like him, and he's funny, but I have serious disagreements here. Read first, then read my comments in the next post.

Brad22
07-05-2005, 02:00 PM
OK - 2 major problems.

-Lebron is definitely in the Top 3 Untouchable Category, and should be ahead of Dwayne Wade, for several reasons:

1. He's better - plain and simple. He has less to work with, and has shown a better game - not by a ton, but is the better of the two.

2. Dwayne has been injured already, and LeBron has no problems.

Other main issue:

-Garnett's placement. For all the comparisons between KG and Duncan, most give the edge to Duncan. That's garbage, they are completely equal. Duncan is a bit of a better post up player, and defender.

But for those edges, KG is a better passer, free throw shooter, rebounder, and a much more versatile scorer. I can't stand when everyone says Duncan is the champion, and KG just can't get it done. Does anyone ever point out that Minnesota is an inferior team, with inferior coaching and mgmt., and has been since the two have been in the league?

The rest of the list is understandable, these were my major problems.

Josh W
07-05-2005, 04:05 PM
Lebron is going to be 'touched'. Wade isn't. Who's more untouchable?

KG is prolly better all around than Duncan. But Duncan wins. He won't be touched because he's a winner. KG may be moved for a fresh start.

The list isn't who's better. It's who's more untouchable. Wade is more untouchable than Lebron and TD is more untouchable than KG. How can you disagree with that?

Josh

[censored]
07-05-2005, 04:13 PM
yes Brad, you gererally missed the point of the article. Basically James was saying that there os 0% of Duncan being traded right now and 0.0001% of Garnett being traded, the catch being that the only player Garnett could possibly be dealt for is Duncan straight up.

Lebron has top 3 talent but given future salary concerns and a possible desire to play in a large market it is not out of the question that the Cavs would feel the need to deal him rather than get nothing in return.

However I do think going by the rules of the article James should be higher than Wade, as a Wade for James straight would be more likely to be dimissed by the Cavs and accepted by the Heat.

MoreWineII
07-05-2005, 05:32 PM
Garnett is a better athlete than Duncan, but Duncan has....something... that I don't think KG has. Leadership, the ability to make other players better, whatever name you want to put to it, Duncan seems to have it and KG doesn't. If you put KG on this year's Spurs team, do they win the thing? I'm not so sure.

I love KG as a player and as a person, but until he proves he can take a team past the first round I just can't say he's better than Duncan. Or even equal to.

Brad22
07-05-2005, 05:39 PM
Wade and Duncan more untouchable than KG and Lebron?

I feel its pretty even. KG on the Spurs would be the same result in my opinion. The media shits on KG for faults that are not remotely his. I mean, look at the Spurs supporting cast since 98' - There is no way KG can compete with the cast he's had.

holeplug
07-05-2005, 06:41 PM
Nash at 9 seems alittle high. I'd at least flip him and Howard.

Phoenix1010
07-05-2005, 06:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nash at 9 seems alittle high. I'd at least flip him and Howard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Phoenix broke the bank to wrench Nash away Dallas, and he performed better than anyone could have possibly imagined. They think they have a championship team in the making and he and Amare are at the center of their universe. For the forseeable future, Nash is not going anywhere for anyone.

Josh W
07-05-2005, 06:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wade and Duncan more untouchable than KG and Lebron?

[/ QUOTE ]

I still think you are thinking of the players too much and missing the point of the article. You are ignoring situations. KG's repeated struggles to advance his team mean he's MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH more likely to be moved that TD.

Lebron's situation in Cleveland is tenous at best. If they don't get a shooter and/or a power forward, Lebron could be gone very soon. He's much much more likely to be touched than Wade.

If I was a GM would I want Lebron over Wade? Yep. But that doesn't change the fact that he's more likley to be moved than Wade.

Josh

Brad22
07-05-2005, 09:22 PM
Yo!....I did miss the point of the article. You're right about it - I would have to agree. But somewhere in the article it said to assume that you would never trade a lower numbered player for a higher numbered player - that's what I was arguing.

You're right about the not being moved factor.

Josh W
07-05-2005, 09:56 PM
true about the trading A for B....if a Wade for Lebron trade came up, I think I agree with you that CLE is the team that says "NO", so going by that, Lebron should be higher.

[censored]
07-05-2005, 10:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
true about the trading A for B....if a Wade for Lebron trade came up, I think I agree with you that CLE is the team that says "NO", so going by that, Lebron should be higher.

[/ QUOTE ]

The truth is The Sports Guy sort of blurred his own rules this time around. In previous years it was based on which team does this trade if any (straight up) and if neither which considers it more. That was stated again this year but when he got into about the top 10 or so it was clear he also added a who is more likely to get moved at some point by their current team stipulation.

So while James may be more likely to be traded than Wade, there is no way he could argue that the Cavs do a James for Wade straight up trade, while The Heat would definently have to give it serious thought and would honestly probably pull the trigger.

Popinjay
07-05-2005, 11:10 PM
Ray Allen is way too low.

Phoenix1010
07-05-2005, 11:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ray Allen is way too low.

[/ QUOTE ]

Disagree. Allen has not showed very much dedication and work ethic in the past, so expect a large drop off in his production after his contract issues get settled. He'll be making a ton of money, he's injury prone, he's 30 years old, and he's at best a two dimensional player, even when he's healthy/motivated.

There are no more than three guys above Allen whose team I think would willingly trade 1 for 1: Paul Pierce (who is far too high), Zach Randolph, and maaaaaybe Rip Hamilton.