PDA

View Full Version : Ethics Question Involving Dealer Error

Riverman
07-05-2005, 12:48 PM
So I am sitting in a 5-10 blinds Pot Limit game when the following situation comes up. There is a player in the ten seat who is great action. He is terrible, but he has sucked out a few times and has a ton of chips at the moment. Anyway, he raises out of the BB and gets two callers. The flop comes K 7 8 with a flush draw, and he bets the pot and is called only by the button.

Now, the turn comes an offsuit 4 and the action player once again leads out for a pot sized bet (which was $375- 125 preflop plus a called flop bet). After about 30 seconds the button says "I raise the pot." Before the dealer announces the amount, the action player quickly says "call."

Now, he is supposed to call the 375 and raise 1125 for a total of 1500. Instead, the dealer screws up and somehow tells the button to put in 1125 (375 + 750). He does, and the action player calls the incorrectly sized raise.

Finally, the river brings the flush card and it goes check-check. The button flips over 5 6 for a straight (horrible river check but thats not the point). He is awarded the pot.

Immediately after being given the pot, button overhears a regular in the game point at the dealer and whisper to another player "you see that [censored], thats why you have to pay attention." Button quickly realizes that there was an error that cost him some money but decides to say nothing because he doesnt want to chase the fish and he assumes it is his responsibility to make sure the pot is right.

Three questions:

1. What do you think of the player who clearly saw the error in progress and did not say anything about it?

2. Was the button correct to just let it go?

3. Should the dealer be reported, and how serious of an error is this?

coffeecrazy1
07-05-2005, 04:42 PM
1)Yes...the player should have said something.
2)Hard to say what the button should do, but I know I would not let it go...too much money involved...even if it was fruitless(floor would probably rule that it was spilled milk).
3)Dealer should not be allowed to deal pot-limit until he can accurately count down the pot for his superiors. PL is the hardest game to deal for this reason(I think...I believe that's what my dealer friends have told me)...and it takes a very competent dealer to deal it. Sure...mistakes happen...but someone dealing 5-10 or above should be past the point where it is anything but automatic, IMHO.

youtalkfunny
07-06-2005, 12:04 AM
1. I'm not going to say anything. First, whenever I try to correct the dealer in situations like this, it seems that the dealer is usually right, and I am usually wrong, and I look like a jackass. So I have learned to keep my mouth shut. Second, I want as many chips in front of that fish as can be arranged.

2. The button has no choice but to let it go. We've completed the action on the turn, AND on the river, AND the pot has been pushed. The statute of limitations is up.

3. Don't blame the dealer. It's the players responsibility to protect his action, as well as his cards. The dealer will do his best to make sure things are right, but he/she is not a guarantee to do so.

4. This is a great topic for the B&M forum.

Nottom
07-06-2005, 03:04 AM
1) its not the other players responsibility to get involved

2) I'd say something about it just to let the dealer know he made a mistake.

3) I might mention it to the floor if he does it again, but I'm not going to bust the guy for one mistake.

jedi
07-07-2005, 02:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1. I'm not going to say anything. First, whenever I try to correct the dealer in situations like this, it seems that the dealer is usually right, and I am usually wrong, and I look like a jackass. So I have learned to keep my mouth shut. Second, I want as many chips in front of that fish as can be arranged.

[/ QUOTE ]

But, surely you can phrase it in the form of a question. If the dealer double-checks and finds that he was correct all along, a simple "thank you" will suffice. No questioning of the dealer's integrity or competence, and everything ends up where it should be.