PDA

View Full Version : James Joyce

Ghazban
07-05-2005, 12:13 PM
I haven't read anything by him but I want to. I glanced at Finnegan's Wake about a year ago, went "huh?....Is this in English?" chickened out, and read another Dostoyevsky book instead. Is he worth reading and, if so, what's a good book to start with? (Ulysses, maybe?)

asofel
07-05-2005, 12:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I haven't read anything by him but I want to. I glanced at Finnegan's Wake about a year ago, went "huh?....Is this in English?" chickened out, and read another Dostoyevsky book instead. Is he worth reading and, if so, what's a good book to start with? (Ulysses, maybe?)

[/ QUOTE ]

The notes on Ulysses are bigger than the book itself. Be prepared to look up every third sentence or so. I read it in a highschool English course and enjoyed parts of it; other parts were very tedious.

Finnegan's wake scares me.

Robk
07-05-2005, 12:32 PM
he is well worth reading imo. (although i havent read finnegans wake.) start with "portrait of the artist as a young man", try to get a good editiion with lots of footnotes. if you try ulysses or finnegans wake youll need annotations or a lot of secondary literature to get the most out of them.

Ghazban
07-05-2005, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the headsup. I work in a large university library so finding editions with the necessary annotations/footnotes/etc. shouldn't be a problem.

sfer
07-05-2005, 12:44 PM
I started with Dubliners.

Robk
07-05-2005, 12:51 PM
i have ulysses annotated by don gifford. its very good, but there may be better things out there.

shakingspear
07-05-2005, 01:03 PM
I read "Portrait" in high school. It was kind of difficult, but probably a good place to start.

edtost
07-05-2005, 01:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I started with Dubliners.

[/ QUOTE ]

CCass
07-05-2005, 01:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear El Diablo is an expert on Ulysses.

LittleOldLady
07-05-2005, 02:00 PM
I don't think Finnegans Wake is worth the effort, but Ulysses is. As others have suggested, start with Dubliners and Portrait of the Artist (particularly the latter), and see what you think. I have taught both Dubliners (well, The Dead) and Portrait of the Artist to undergrads, and they went OK. My senior seminar as an undergrad read Ulysses. It's appropriate for that level. Finngans Wake isn't.

Blarg
07-05-2005, 02:04 PM
Dubliners is where to start, I think. If you can't handle the short stories, you surely won't be ready for the way more "out there" Ulysses and especially Finnegan's Wake.

Then I'd do Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.

Then if you are feeling more adventurous than you know what to do with, Ulysses. Save Finnegan's Wake for last. Like after you're retired or something.

pryor15
07-05-2005, 03:24 PM
def don't start w/ ulysses

PoBoy321
07-05-2005, 05:04 PM
I would suggest either Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man or The Dubliners. Hardly light reads by any stretch of the imagination, but certainly easier than Ulysses.

Ghazban
07-05-2005, 09:17 PM
Thanks, all. I picked up 'Portrait' and am about 30 pages in. Its interesting; I don't think I've ever read anything written quite like it.

Bigdaddydvo
07-05-2005, 09:22 PM
Portrait is awesome. Did my high school research on it.

The Yugoslavian
07-05-2005, 09:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Dostoyevsky

[/ QUOTE ]

Just keep readin' this dude.

Throw some Kierkegaard in there too.

Yugoslav

Ghazban
07-05-2005, 09:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Dostoyevsky

[/ QUOTE ]

Just keep readin' this dude.

Throw some Kierkegaard in there too.

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

Those two are among my favorite authors already /images/graemlins/grin.gif

For those who abhorred Ulysses, this review might amuse you: http://www.dougshaw.com/Reviews/review1.html