PDA

View Full Version : Who wants Brett Boone?

ripdog
07-05-2005, 12:02 PM
I was trying to come up with a place to send him and couldn't fathom anybody wanting him and his bloated contract. This was before the M's designated him for assignment. After they did this I wondered why the hell they would do that without a trade in place. Their explanation was that they wanted to force the issue with other teams. Good enough for me. So where does he go and how much of his salary do the M's eat? My guess is to the NYY and they eat $4 million. What do we get in return?

sublime
07-05-2005, 12:25 PM
My guess is to the NYY and they eat $4 million. What do we get in return?

is this a serious question?

no team is giving anything up for a washed up 2nd baseman who has been playing awful. especially a team with no hole at 2b.

hoopsie44
07-05-2005, 12:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was trying to come up with a place to send him and couldn't fathom anybody wanting him and his bloated contract. This was before the M's designated him for assignment. After they did this I wondered why the hell they would do that without a trade in place. Their explanation was that they wanted to force the issue with other teams. Good enough for me. So where does he go and how much of his salary do the M's eat? My guess is to the NYY and they eat $4 million. What do we get in return?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just what the Yanks need, another over the hill, broken down,overpaid player. Yanks won't touch this guy. Cano is their second baseman.

MoreWineII
07-05-2005, 12:59 PM
Somebody will grab him, these are pro sports GM's were talking about here.

ripdog
07-05-2005, 02:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My guess is to the NYY and they eat $4 million. What do we get in return?

is this a serious question?

no team is giving anything up for a washed up 2nd baseman who has been playing awful. especially a team with no hole at 2b.

[/ QUOTE ]

The media talk around Seattle has him going to NY or San Diego. He is still a great defensive player and has offensive potential. What you quoted was my guess. Like I said in the OP, I can't imagine anybody wanting him, but the Yankees have a proven track record of taking on overpriced and underperforming talent, so I stand by that guess. So what does Seattle get in return? I would assume something less than a top tier prospect or two.

hoopsie44
07-05-2005, 02:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The media talk around Seattle has him going to NY or San Diego. He is still a great defensive player and has offensive potential.

[/ QUOTE ]

The media talk in Seattle is dead wrong as far as NY is concerned. You talk potential about a talented young player
who has upside, not a player who is past his prime. Robinson Cano is batting close to .300 and although he has made 8 errors, he has shown excellent range and can turn a DP very well. No way Yanks bring Boone in and sit Cano.

ripdog
07-05-2005, 02:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The media talk around Seattle has him going to NY or San Diego. He is still a great defensive player and has offensive potential.

[/ QUOTE ]

The media talk in Seattle is dead wrong as far as NY is concerned. You talk potential about a talented young player
who has upside, not a player who is past his prime. Robinson Cano is batting close to .300 and although he has made 8 errors, he has shown excellent range and can turn a DP very well. No way Yanks bring Boone in and sit Cano.

[/ QUOTE ]

So where does he go and what does Seattle get in return?

sublime
07-05-2005, 03:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So where does he go and what does Seattle get in return?

[/ QUOTE ]

nowhere and nothing

wayabvpar
07-05-2005, 03:03 PM
Seattle will be lucky to get a career minor leaguer in return. Boone is beyond done at this point. He can't hit, his range has severely diminished, and he is 36. Not gonna get any prettier from here.

liquidboss
07-05-2005, 03:28 PM
The only team that I've seen show real interest in Boone is the Padres. He basically got a try out when the Mariners went down there to end interleague play. They sat him for an entire homestand to "work things out," then when they went to San Diego he played, they come back and he is fired. The M's front office was just giving the Padres a chance to see him again.

pryor15
07-05-2005, 03:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just what the Yanks need, another over the hill, broken down,overpaid player. Yanks won't touch this guy. Cano is their second baseman.

[/ QUOTE ]

it wouldn't be the first time they dealt a prospect for a player past his prime.

[censored]
07-05-2005, 03:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it wouldn't be the first time they dealt a prospect for a player past his prime.

[/ QUOTE ]

world of difference between past one's prime and essentially washed up.

pryor15
07-05-2005, 03:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

true. but weren't people saying the same thing last year about Olerud?

[censored]
07-05-2005, 04:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Yankees did not trade for Olerud he was signed as a free agent after being released.

Triumph36
07-05-2005, 04:09 PM
The Yankees have 2 2nd basemen on the roster already. This isn't like last year where Jason Giambi and Tony Clark couldn't hit; Cano has been consistently getting a hit a game for the last month.

The Yankees will often replace a problem with another problem, but they need pitching much, much more than they need hitting.

sublime
07-05-2005, 04:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Yankees did not trade for Olerud he was signed as a free agent after being released.

[/ QUOTE ]

which is what will happne with boone, whoever he ends up with.

[censored]
07-05-2005, 04:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

which is what will happne with boone, whoever he ends up with.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, MLB GM's are adept and smelling blood in the water when it comes to teams wanting to get of a player. No one is going to trade for Boone because it is obvious the M's want to and will be rid of him shortly.