PDA

View Full Version : Tom Cruise / Scientology update

TStoneMBD
07-05-2005, 11:43 AM
Tom Cruise was on The View today (no I don't normally watch this show) and spoke a little about Scientology.

The ladies there asked him if it was important to him that Katie Holmes convert to Scientology and he responded that he would like to see her convert, but its a life decision that everybody makes and she doesn't have to. He then went on to say that there are "Jewish Scientologists, there are Christian Scientologists" and that he's just trying to answer life questions or something to that effect.

My question is how is it possible that there are Jewish and Christian Scientologists? What about that whole Xeno/human inhibiters thing? What level of the religion has Tom Cruise been exposed to in your opinion and has he even heard about the Xeno plot yet? Tom seems to treat the religion the way Scientology treats newcomers in that he acts more as if Scientology is not a religion but more a form of life appreciate/meditation. For someone so apparently dedicated to the cause it surprises me that he describes Scientology in this manner when it seems to go against the grain of advanced Scientology concepts.

BZ_Zorro
07-05-2005, 12:30 PM
I think he's more oriented towards some of the methods in scientology such as the ones for curing depression, alcholism, dealing with life's problems, and so on. At least publicly. I think if they hit you with the weirdness up front a lot of people wouldn't even look at it. Dianetics is uncomfortable reading.

The concerning thing is that he's starting to appear more and more divorced from reality and normality. It's a weird religion so not suprising I guess.

iggy
07-05-2005, 01:29 PM
I think Tom is actively trying to "sell" Scientology when he does these appearances. Scientology uses celebrities to try and bring more people into their money making psuedo-religion, and they dont mind if you're Jewish, Hindu or Buddhist, as long as your checks don't bounce.

And yeah, he does appear to be losing it completely.

SheetWise
07-05-2005, 02:13 PM
"For someone so apparently dedicated to the cause it surprises me that he describes Scientology in this manner when it seems to go against the grain of advanced Scientology concepts. "

Advanced Scientology concepts?

Give me a break.

TStoneMBD
07-05-2005, 02:25 PM
you misunderstand what i mean by "advanced"

what i mean is that ive read that in scientology they slowly tell their followers the detail of the religion as they become more and more brainwashed. when i use the word advanced i mean has tom cruise been exposed to the concepts that are only explained to people who have been involved with the program for a long time?

spoohunter
07-05-2005, 02:30 PM
Just a brief note, slashdot.org was sued by scientogists due to content on their website that was deemed libelous (I believe that was the legal term used), and forced to remove it. So becareful what you say about the scum sucking cult.

pc in NM
07-05-2005, 02:38 PM
Hey, he's a high school dropout who belongs to a pseudo-religious cult - the only reason we are even aware of him is that he's pretty good (and pretty, too) at enacting words and characters from other peoples' imaginations....

The media caters to this guy, because he's "popular" - but why is anyone here even giving his idiotic pronouncements a second thought???

MoreWineII
07-05-2005, 03:05 PM
I dunno, I don't really care about him spouting off about his religion, but I'm really a big proponent of live and let live. He's a zealot, BFD. Because he's not a Christian zealot, it seems all weird to some people I suppose.

I think his 'relationship' with Joey is loads more disturbing.

spoohunter
07-05-2005, 03:07 PM
Scientology is not, and has never been a religion.

MoreWineII
07-05-2005, 03:14 PM
According to who? You?

Main Entry: re·li·gion
Pronunciation: ri-'li-j&n
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English religioun, from Latin religion-, religio supernatural constraint, sanction, religious practice, perhaps from religare to restrain, tie back -- more at RELY
1 a : the state of a religious <a nun in her 20th year of religion> b (1) : the service and worship of God or the supernatural (2) : commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance
2 : a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices
3 archaic : scrupulous conformity : CONSCIENTIOUSNESS
4 : a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith

spoohunter
07-05-2005, 03:24 PM
cult ( P ) Pronunciation Key (klt)
n.

A religion or religious sect generally considered to be extremist or false, with its followers often living in an unconventional manner under the guidance of an authoritarian, charismatic leader.
The followers of such a religion or sect.
A system or community of religious worship and ritual.
The formal means of expressing religious reverence; religious ceremony and ritual.
A usually nonscientific method or regimen claimed by its originator to have exclusive or exceptional power in curing a particular disease.

Obsessive, especially faddish, devotion to or veneration for a person, principle, or thing.
The object of such devotion.
An exclusive group of persons sharing an esoteric, usually artistic or intellectual interest.

BZ_Zorro
07-05-2005, 03:36 PM
From acronymfinder.com:

NH New Haven
NH New Hebrides
NH New Hire
NH Nice Hand
NH No Hacks (multiplayer gaming)

Your Mom
07-05-2005, 03:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
From acronymfinder.com:

NH New Haven
NH New Hebrides
NH New Hire
NH Nice Hand
NH No Hacks (multiplayer gaming)

[/ QUOTE ]

Poker has arrived!

bernie
07-05-2005, 03:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Scientology is not, and has never been a religion.

[/ QUOTE ]

According to the US government as far as taxes it is.

b

drudman
07-05-2005, 07:08 PM
Oh brother, now not only has SMP been overrun by religion, even pseudo-religion gets in the front door now.

oneeye13
07-06-2005, 01:42 AM
the tragic thing is that among reasonable people there are no psycho lone gunman types. presidents getting shot and this guy is alive.

tek
07-26-2005, 05:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He then went on to say that there are "Jewish Scientologists, there are Christian Scientologists" and that he's just trying to answer life questions or something to that effect.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt any real Jews who would hand over all their money to some crack pot philosophy started by a Sci-Fi author. I know I am not going to... /images/graemlins/tongue.gif