PDA

View Full Version : Party SNG 10+1 trouble

Exsubmariner
07-05-2005, 11:13 AM
Hi Guys,
I thought I might post to try and get some feedback. I normally play ring, but play 10+1 SNG's at party to keep my account active. I have about 400 Sng's in my database (prior to the structure change of adding the 150/75 level) where I was 38% ITM with about a 20% ROI. My last 120 SNG's, however, I have dropped to 30% ITM and am now running at -15% ROI. It seems that I find myself way short stacked way fast and end up taking chances early that I wouldn't normally do trying to get a bigger stack sooner. I also find myself pushing with more marginal hands later and of course I only get called by hands that dominate mine. My game has become exceptionally sensative to coinflips, and I have not had a good run with those either (I loose alot of them).
My question is how much variance should I expect in the normal course of playing these? I know that my sample isn't that large, but I was hoping someone could give me some advice on playing a structure that leaves you short stacked very quickly. I seem much more comfortable playing structures where you start deeper stacked, but had no trouble with Potty SNGs before they added the new level. Would it be better if I went to Stars? Anyone like the structure there better? Thanks in advance for your help.
X

MeanGreenTT
07-05-2005, 11:18 AM
I really can't answer your question, but am interested as well....as a side note, Ex-Navy Nuke here, USS Bainbridge for 4 years, 4 months and 2 days /images/graemlins/smile.gif

XxPenguinxX
07-05-2005, 11:45 AM
Play UB or Stars if you're not comfortable with / don't have the bankroll for push/fold poker.

I do, and you can stay away from the coinflips (although, before all the regulars jump on me, at a cost to your $/hr). Party SnGs are basically turbos, and I prefer time to play, maneouver, observe and accumulate. Not as big bet or high octane, but every bit as skillful and suits me better.

1Winston
07-05-2005, 11:46 AM
I like Stars structure a lot better and have had a ton more success with them. I even like the turbos on stars much better than the Party structure, though I am still trying to come to terms with Party.

revots33
07-05-2005, 12:01 PM
At the 800-chip levels, Party turns into push-or-fold poker quick. I started out at Stars, and the Party structure definitely takes some getting used to.

The good news is, the players are bad and will often call all-in bets on level 1 or 2 when you've got them beat. It seems like a lot of the Party players (at the 11s anyways) simply CANNOT lay down a hand once you go over the top of their raise. This gives you the chance to double or triple-up quickly if you catch a hand early. At Stars I found it harder to get paid off on my big hands.

45suited
07-05-2005, 12:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I seem much more comfortable playing structures where you start deeper stacked, but had no trouble with Potty SNGs before they added the new level.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because the two parts of your statement seem contracdictory, my guess is that you're just experiencing a bad run of luck. The new level adds time to the Party structure, so if you thought that the blinds moved up too quickly before, the new level 5 should be good for you.

I think the consensus among the regular posters on the forum is that we like the new level. (I know that I do.) It allows you to be a little more patient than you could be under the old blinds structure.

xLukex
07-05-2005, 12:33 PM
If you want, we can swap tourney histories and check up on eachother's game...

PM me.

Exsubmariner
07-05-2005, 01:12 PM
I ended up being 8 days shy of four years on my boat because of a paperwork screwup with my terminal leave. I really really enjoyed those 8 days. Someone actually argued with me that I was losing sooo much money in those 8 days I should just ride it out. Can you believe it? Money isn't everything though when you get to escape a stinking sewer pipe early. Ah, the days... I'm glad they're over.
X

Exsubmariner
07-05-2005, 01:23 PM
I think that's an interesting point you have. I have thought it could just be a variance as well. However, I noticed a different dynamic that comes up on the new level. Where b4, people would fold to your push or raise when the blinds were 100/200 because they were afraid they would miss the money, they seem to be more willing to call you for 150. There also seems to be a sort of dead period on that level where no body bets, but seem to be waiting on the short stacks to get squeezed out by the blinds, or they play limit with each other. Plus if you sit tight to the 150 level, you only have 5BB in your stack which has been depleted by blinds to that point so even if you double up, you will still only have 10 BB and still have to push if you go in again. So, you will have to win 2 pushes in a row to even be in the running against the 5 or 6 players who are left. I don't know if that is a statistically viable strategy or not. I hope that made sense???? I think that perhaps the only way to get an edge is to come up with a sort of all or nothing strategy. Maybe I'll go to Stars...
X