PDA

View Full Version : Defending Check-Calling

Mempho
07-05-2005, 10:44 AM
This is one of those irritating situations where you can't get someone to fold even though you started with the best hand...happens to me all the time. I hate this because I don't know if they are drawing and I still have the best hand or if they are just letting me bet their hand for them. Either way, I know that if I check, I'm going to lose the pot because I can't call turn and river bets here without bleeding off money.

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4 SB) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (3 BB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

River: (5 BB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 7 BB

Jeffage
07-05-2005, 10:49 AM
I think you played it fine. The board is draw heavy and he has just called you. So it's possible he just has a big heart or even some kinda busted straight draw. Or he could be slowplaying a monster or just calling you down with a pair b/c he puts you on overs. But when you check the end, I think you have potentially induced a bluff and have to call. And yes, it's annoying to get showed something like black 4's here. But Hold Em can be an annoying game sometimes, just play solid.

Jeff

Mempho
07-05-2005, 03:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you played it fine. The board is draw heavy and he has just called you. So it's possible he just has a big heart or even some kinda busted straight draw. Or he could be slowplaying a monster or just calling you down with a pair b/c he puts you on overs. But when you check the end, I think you have potentially induced a bluff and have to call. And yes, it's annoying to get showed something like black 4's here. But Hold Em can be an annoying game sometimes, just play solid.

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

The guy showed me 6 4...for a pair of 6s here. I was slightly annoyed but there is little I can say. I just wish I could stop dropping off money to these hands without getting too weak-tight when the flop doesn't come down as I dreamed. I appreciate the input here...it helps.

Jeff W
07-05-2005, 03:36 PM
Perfect.