be lazy with respect to deleting the unnecessary portions before

posting.

However, several people have asked that the quotes be included

citing the ease of responding to specific points in the message

being responded to.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.

Chuck

08-30-2001, 12:06 PM
I don't think you need to automatically copy the post into responses if you keep the "Post Response" text box directly below the original message. People can cut and paste the relevant parts themselves.

If you go back to having responses on a page separate from the original message (not recommended) you should go back to automatically copying the original post into the response.

-Mark

08-30-2001, 12:50 PM
As I already stated, I don't like it. Most of the time, I would not wish to have very much of the previous post in my new message, but I sometimes copy some of it into my message. Having the entire thing in every message will probably result in more of what you are talking about, as people are generally lazy.

Dave in Cali

08-30-2001, 01:00 PM
no message

08-30-2001, 02:02 PM

08-30-2001, 02:04 PM
I intended my prior post to have no text, thus typing n/t in the subject heading. Then, I went to add the period "." into the message box, as you have to do that on this site, as we all know. Then, I thought, with all the other changes here on the Vince Forum, maybe you don't need the period anymore.

Lo and Behold, you don't, and, the software added *NM* after my subject heading, turning it into the redundant creation it is.

WTG, Chuck.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

08-30-2001, 02:06 PM
I am wishy washy forgive me.

vince

08-30-2001, 02:08 PM
I post on the Vince Forum at 2:02, and by 2:06 Vince has read my post, written a reply, and posted it.

What a guy!

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

08-30-2001, 02:11 PM
Did you consider the fact that I may not have a life. couple that with fear of Fossils and it should be easy to understand.

Hey what about commenting on my "Important" thread and letting this one die.

vince

08-30-2001, 02:17 PM
Chuck, if people are too lazy/stupid to copy/paste, they're not going to be highlighting and deleting, either.

08-30-2001, 02:23 PM

08-30-2001, 08:15 PM
Chuck,

If you automatically put the original message in the response box the forum may become like RGP. At RGP people often have one line answers to 100 line posts and all 101 lines come up in the response. What will become of "digestify" if the files are that large?

I often reply to specific parts or a previous post but I do my work in MS Word and cut and paste it into 2+2. That is easy for anybody, even Vince.

Regards,

Rick

PS I hope you have time (or Mason pays you) to fix and clean up the archives. They are a treasure!

PPS You have a spell checker! Bravo

08-31-2001, 05:10 AM
In the interest of parsimony and forum loading speed, I vote against the post being responded to appearing in the response box. It is helpful to have the post appear above the response box for cutting and pasting.

08-31-2001, 01:32 PM
testing

08-31-2001, 02:50 PM