PDA

View Full Version : Silly Newb Questions (Didn't there used to be a sticky in this forum?)

fnord_too
07-05-2005, 09:23 AM
I am starting to play S&G's again, and I have a slew of basic questions. I could have sworn there was an FAQ in this forum.

Quick background: I have been very successful at MTTs, and moderately successful at ring games of various types and structures. I have played a lot of STTs, most at the $30 level and below, and had a lot of success there, too. I haven't seriously played them for over a year though, until starting recently (~80 50+5's in the past couple weeks). So, on with the newb questions:

What are fair, average, good, and very good ROI's at the various levels of party S&G's? (ROI is defined as net/total invested for S&G's, no?)

How many S&G's does it take to get a good idea of your ROI at a given level? 1K, 10K, 25K?

What are the bankroll rules of thumb for S&G's? 40 buy ins seems reasonable for the 50+5's, but I just pull that number out of the air. (I know it will depend on your ROI and ITM%, I'm just looking for the general area right now since I don't have the sample size to assess ROI or ITM.)

What are some of the common tools and sheets you all use? I know about eastbay's tool, but I have seen mention of some spreadsheets and such. (I have been searching some, and will search some more, but if someone happens to have threads discussing those favorited a link would be great.) I have couple of things that I have been working on for MTTs, but I would hate to reinvent a bunch of spreadsheets if I could help it.

How many S&G's can you play an hour on average if you 4 table? So far, I'm thinking about 10 in 2-2.5 hours. I think in the middle of a session it may be closer to 6/hour or more, but the rate is low on the tail end of a session.

How many S&G's can someone play at once? I am doing 4 right now, which seems fine. I am wondering how many poeple 6, 8, or more table these things.

Thanks for your time.

skipperbob
07-05-2005, 10:15 AM
I will attempt to answer just one of your questions: How many tables "can" you play?....= Age dependent

older than 60 (SFB) = 1
older than 40 (SlackernoSlacking) = 2
older than 30 (Irie/Zen) = 6 to 8 really good
older than 20 (Usher/Hurst/Lacky,et.al) = 12
younger than 20 (Raptor) = 7384596 (really poorly)

maddog2030
07-05-2005, 10:22 AM
SNG Wiki (http://poker.wikicities.com/wiki/Sngs)

Also you can add to it if you think anything's missing or needs clarifying.

fnord_too
07-05-2005, 10:27 AM
Holy Cow! We are outsourcing our FAQ's to Wiki? That is probably a great idea (unless someone beligerent and bad starts modifying them. Is Wiki content moderated at all now? Last time I really paid attention it was only self moderated, and it looked like you could have content wars if you disagreed on an issue.)

Thanks for the link, that is awesome. We should build a big wiki ... thing ... with some of the great 2+2 posts and FAQ's.

Edit - it looks like that may be a big wiki thing already. Nice!

maddog2030
07-05-2005, 10:33 AM
That's what the hope is. Right now it's a FAQ, and can stay that way if people don't want it to be more. If people want to they can branch it off to hold a wealth of good information.

And yes it's self-moderated. Anyone from the community can add content and are encouraged to do so. There is version control in case anything gets changed that shouldn't. If something is clearly wrong, it can be corrected. If it's in the grey area, you can set up alternate versions or simply present arguments for both sides. However, its original purpose was to answer the FAQ's and almost all of them have very clear cut answers.

fnord_too
07-05-2005, 10:36 AM
So far this looks great. You should point this out to the other forums to get them to put FAQ's and good threads there. Then we really just need one sticky saying where to find all this stuff.

maddog2030
07-05-2005, 10:41 AM
This wiki was setup by others from other forums who were pushing this there. There are other sections which are related to other types of games for limit cash games, etc. Unfortunately something like this can't be stickied so it needs to gain some community support before it will really become a useful resource.

lacky
07-08-2005, 10:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
older than 60 (SFB) = 1
older than 20 (Usher/Hurst/lacky,et.al) = 12

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to clarify, lacky belongs one row up.

fnord_too
07-08-2005, 11:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
older than 60 (SFB) = 1
older than 20 (Usher/Hurst/lacky,et.al) = 12

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to clarify, lacky belongs one row up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im 35 and just started 6 tabling. Now if only I can find the patience to stagger the tables by more than 10 minutes (total until all 6 are going).

Damn that chart! Must play 12 tables to prove it wrong!