PDA

View Full Version : Do you agree with this play?

Rojosox
07-05-2005, 04:23 AM
Ok, I know this is not a tournament.... I am just curious if people agree with how i played this flop... it's a $10/20 NL Cash game. I was using my old s/n Orangesox.
Seat 10: Orangesox ( $4885.26 )
Seat 6: boless ( $1180 )
Seat 1: SortOf ( $1835 )
Seat 5: bridgelady ( $2079 )
Seat 9: Petra4 ( $1980 )
Petra4 posts small blind [$10].
Orangesox posts big blind [$20].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Orangesox [ 8c 8d ]
SortOf raises [$85].
bridgelady folds.
boless folds.
Petra4 calls [$75].
Orangesox calls [$65].
** Dealing Flop ** [ Th, 8h, Js ]
Petra4 checks.
Orangesox checks.
SortOf bets [$253].
Petra4 calls [$253].
Orangesox raises [$1700].
SortOf is all-In [$1497]
Petra4 folds.
Orangesox calls [$50].
** Dealing Turn ** [ Kd ]
** Dealing River ** [ 8s ]
Orangesox shows [ 8c, 8d ] four of a kind, eights.
SortOf doesn't show [ As, Ac ] two pairs, aces and eights.
Orangesox wins $4006 from the main pot with four of a kind, eights.

I know it worked out, but was what I did ideal? - Jared

RaiNz
07-05-2005, 04:49 AM
Looks ok to me. You may get better responses in the Mid-High-Stakes Pot Limit and No Limit forum.

Also to create a better and less results oriented discussion in the future; you should stop the action after you have acted on the Flop.

I am no expert by any means. Just trying to be helpful. The more I look at this hand; the more I think your re-raise is rather large. Isn't this the kind of hand where you are either way ahead or way behind? Either up against a bigger set, or like in this example an overplayed over pair?

Rojosox
07-05-2005, 04:53 AM
Well, an overset is possible, but maybe not? I dont know. The board was scary as hell to me. I decided to check-shove. again, not sure if this is ideal.

Jared

DeathbySuckout
07-05-2005, 07:01 AM
I think it looks good. With the very draw heavy flop, you can't aford to slowplay this.

Unarmed
07-05-2005, 08:59 AM
When I flop a set OOP I either:

C/R all-in - If stacks are relatively shallow and you can pot commit your opponent through a C/R all-in, its the preferred play as it gets a whiffed AK's continuation bet. If there are players in between you and the PF raiser you can also often sandwich them in there and collect their dead money. (exactly what happened in this hand)

Lead - If stacks are deep I prefer leading because checking means that you have to "decloak" at some point and make a bet that reveals the strength of your hand. If you just lead and keep betting no one can be sure you have middle pair, top pair, a draw, or a monster.

In this case, stacks are pretty deep but I don't mind the C/R because many opponents will put you on a draw and call you down with top pair. It's a stupid call really, top pair is either barely ahead or already smashed, but that doesn't mean people won't make it a good deal of the time. Doing this also provides increased FE for when you DO C/R all-in on a draw.

So yeah, I like it, and will do it (mostly live) against many opponents. It's evil. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

adanthar
07-05-2005, 09:16 AM
I am not a cash game player so take this with a large grain of salt, but after the raiser pots the flop and gets a call on that board I think the push is more than fine. However, I think his call is terrible and most of the time you get an uncontested $700 out of this*.

BTW, given this raise shorthanded is probably closer to any two than our typical standards, you're ahead on this flop pretty much every time.

*I'd be very interested to know the minimum hand a min-high stakes regular would call with in this situation. JT? J9h? J9o?

hansarnic
07-05-2005, 10:13 AM
Well, the best line probably depends on reads that you didn't provide. How light is original raisers PF standards? What does 1st caller need to call with PF? Will original raiser bet at it near 100% if checked do? Can he get away from QQ-AA if you CR? What will he think you need to call PF? Have you show any draws you've played very aggressively?

Anyway, not to over complicate it you either lead out for a standard sized bet (for you) or you CR. No way I stop and go on this board, there are too many cards that kill your action on the turn. If original raiser has a very wide range and will bet at it most times then the CR all-in is fine. It's also fine if he can't get away from a big pair.

If he's pretty good he may be able to lay down an overpair when you CR all-in (though on a drawy board 5-handed that would be some laydown), in which case a lead would probably give you a better chance of stacking him. Leading also prevents the nightmare scenario of it getting checked round and a Q or a 9 coming on the turn (or to a lesser extent a /images/graemlins/heart.gif)

So, I'm afraid tyhat my slightly incoherent conclusion is that it depends....

arod15
07-05-2005, 03:51 PM
Well you had to raise and you def wanted any flush draws out. I think it was a good move. However heads up just raise there hope he plays back at you

DonButtons
07-05-2005, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am not a cash game player so take this with a large grain of salt, but after the raiser pots the flop and gets a call on that board I think the push is more than fine. However, I think his call is terrible and most of the time you get an uncontested $700 out of this*.

BTW, given this raise shorthanded is probably closer to any two than our typical standards, you're ahead on this flop pretty much every time.

*I'd be very interested to know the minimum hand a min-high stakes regular would call with in this situation. JT? J9h? J9o?

[/ QUOTE ]

In this party nl 2000 game, I think some people would call with AJ, KJ, A9 here lol...Ive datamined it a little after a couple of my sessions at like 4am est-6am est, and there is a ton of donks.

This line is not so bad short handed and specially in this game, but I prob would pot the flop and hope to get played back at.