PDA

View Full Version : stuck in a hand, shortstacked with KJs

proell
07-05-2005, 04:05 AM
the SB has been min-raising and calling a lot of hands. BB is fairly solid.

how should I have played this differently? pushed it preflop? folded preflop? pushed after the min-raise?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

BB (t1655)
Hero (t525)
MP (t2315)
Button (t1640)
SB (t1865)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t150</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t250</font>, BB calls t200, Hero calls t100.

Flop: (t750) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t500, BB raises t1300, Hero???</font>.

donny5k
07-05-2005, 04:14 AM
Any of those 3 is better than what you did. How soon are the blinds going up? If next hand, I probably push. Otherwise, I probably fold, although if you think SB is going to call with a crappy hand pushing is an option since you are the only short stack. 75 chips isn't a lot but it's something. If I somehow made your raise I push after the minreraise.

pergesu
07-05-2005, 04:15 AM
I just shove preflop. May be a leak of mine, and I'd like for someone to tell me I'm a moron for playing it like that.

Just calling the min raise is horrible. You're pot committed, may as well push and gamble. Or you could do a go-n-stop-n-go. That's where you raise, call a reraise, and push any flop. But given the pot odds and their stack sizes, you'll get a caller on any flop. Gotta push after the reraise.

So I open push. But if I screw up and do what you did, I push when it gets back to me. If I really screw up and just call, then I call the flop cause I'm getting slightly under the pot odds I need (need 5-1, you're getting 4.7-1) to call, and I can't do [censored] with just 275 chips really.

RaiNz
07-05-2005, 05:06 AM
I push/fold preflop. I would also push after the mini raise.

unreal_nh
07-05-2005, 05:12 AM
i would just push it preflop and hope you dont get called. but since you only raised, i would definitely push after the mini-raise, because you are going to get all your chips in anyway as you are pot committed. looks like an ugly situation the way you describe it.

The Yugoslavian
07-05-2005, 05:36 AM
How about a fold?

Does everyone keep forgetting that:

Folding is sublime......

Yugoslav

Sabrazack
07-05-2005, 06:18 AM
I fold this preflop without second thought, you have 10xBB and are UTG. I dont like KJ in this situation.

treeofwisdom7
07-05-2005, 07:42 AM
the pot is offering you more than 6-1 on your call. I dont see you having any FE so no point in pushing preflop. On the flop you will have to fold because catching a 10 is 5.8-1 and the pot will offer you 4.6-1. Im starting to think that a fold preflop might not be a bad idea with KJs. But i do believe that against 4 players KJs holds some value, but only if those players are tight around this time. Fold KJ - KQs with 4 opps acting after you unless you can push all in. A small raise might not be a bad idea in this situation ither.

GL

proell
07-05-2005, 12:21 PM
looking back after the hand I think that folding was really the best play here.

At the time I wasn't willing to push with this hand UTG so should have folded, but with just over 10bb I decided to put in a 3x raise. The mini-raise and call threw me off and I made the terrible play of just calling.

After completely screwing the preflop there was no way I could get away from the hand, but boy did I feel like an idiot for getting myself into that situation.

I actually got lucky and hit the 10 on the river.

Moonsugar
07-05-2005, 12:47 PM
All these people that say push preflop are wrong. You should fold.

rvg72
07-05-2005, 01:25 PM
UTG I think you have to fold this... You have 4 people with at least three times the chips that you had and all would love to have an extra 525 going into the bubble so the chances of getting your all-in called is very, very high and it would most likely be by a hand that has you beat more often than not. Blinds are still low so you will have better opportunities.

Good job on winning the hand though - the difference between pushing or folding in any given instance is usually quite small but making this move consistently would likely be a long term leak.

rvg

11t
07-05-2005, 01:27 PM
Fold preflop. You don't have the stack to play KJs UTG without investing your entire stack preflop and you have enough chips you don't have to take such a risk.

So fold preflop. Fold after the re-raise preflop. Fold the flop.

11t
07-05-2005, 01:29 PM
I am not a fan of pushing KJs UTG with 10xBB unless the blinds are going up while he is on the blinds.

PapiChulo503
07-05-2005, 01:38 PM
Its still early, blind is only 50 and you have 10x the BB. You have horrible position and you dont have the NUT flush to draw to, I mention this because these suited cards are not much stronger than the unsuited version. Would you have played if they were unsuited?

Preflop- You have to either FOLD or Go all in. After that weak min raise you definetly need to move in or get out.

Flop- At this point your pot commited and almost forced to gamble. Move in and move on to the next SNG if you lose.

Phil Van Sexton
07-05-2005, 01:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How about a fold?

Does everyone keep forgetting that:

Folding is sublime......

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

I probably fold this, but don't tell anyone because it would ruin my reputation.

kyro
07-05-2005, 01:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
All these people that say push preflop are wrong. You should fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would fold here, but I think it is very close. 6-handed, easy fold. 5-handed...grit-your-teeth fold.