PDA

View Full Version : Hand Stats changing after reading some Sklansky and Malmuth

BB_Specials
07-05-2005, 04:01 AM
I noticed that I have been playing more hands based almost solely on position after reading Hold 'em For Advanced Players. I also noticed myself check raising a bit more on my flush draws and straight draws (which pays off quite well when it hits). I can't get enough.

What kind of percentage of hands are we looking at as a good number to stick by? I am currently running at 30%-35% of flops seen. When I go to super tight mode, it cuts down to about 15%-20%

Also, can someone recommend a good NL strategy book from 2+2 ?

Malachii
07-05-2005, 04:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What kind of percentage of hands are we looking at as a good number to stick by? I am currently running at 30%-35% of flops seen. When I go to super tight mode, it cuts down to about 15%-20%

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the beautiful things about NL is that, with deep stacks, you can be very flexible with your preflop play. There are winning players on the forum who probably have VPIP in the mid teens and there are winning players who run around 40%. I see about 35% (6 max though.)

[ QUOTE ]
I also noticed myself check raising a bit more on my flush draws and straight draws (which pays off quite well when it hits.)

[/ QUOTE ]
Checkraising flush draws is a very risky business. Sure, it works beautifully the 20% of the time that you hit on the next card, but the problem is that you're building a big pot out of position when you have the worst of it. What do you do when a blank comes on fourth street?

Personally, I'm very careful with flush draws out of position. Checking and calling, using a weak lead, or leading out as a semibluff are all options, but I dislike checkraising for the reasons mentioned above. Remember that HPFAP is for limit, and NL is a vastly different game.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, can someone recommend a good NL strategy book from 2+2?

[/ QUOTE ]
This has been covered a thousand times in the last week. Use the search function.

BB_Specials
07-05-2005, 04:25 AM
Excuse my mistake, semi-bluffing, not check-raising the draws. Many times, this will win the pot for me right then and there. And, when the flush or straight hits, they assume I am bluffing it because I bet before. /images/graemlins/grin.gif