PDA

View Full Version : Advice for college

LoaferGee12
07-05-2005, 02:27 AM
Well in a month and a half I'll be off to Indiana University for the first college year of my life. Let's hear some college tips / advice.

jaxUp
07-05-2005, 02:31 AM
It's not that hard. Have some [censored] fun.

LoaferGee12
07-05-2005, 02:33 AM
nice start

Edge34
07-05-2005, 02:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Well in a month and a half I'll be off to Indiana University for the first college year of my life. Let's hear some college tips / advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bloomington freaking rocks. Born and raised there, so i may be biased. Its a small town if it weren't for the college, but there's plenty to do, I mean, its been the #1 party school in the country once or twice i think.

Go to class. Rule #1. You'll have plenty of time to party. Plenty.

Use that time to party. Rule #2. Get the hell out of the dorm rooms. Meet insane numbers of hot chicks. Get drunk. Have the TIME OF YOUR LIFE.

Go to basketball games. IU hoop is still great even without the right head coach. The records may not be impressive, but its IU hoop. Its life in Bloomington. Plus, you can use this in conjunction with the partying and having fun rule.

The first year of college is a time where you can do (and be) anything you want. Take that chance.

UCF THAYER
07-05-2005, 02:35 AM
stay in shape.

nothumb
07-05-2005, 02:37 AM
1. Always, always wrap it up. Assuming you can get any.

2. Try to get in the habit of doing 1-2 hours of studying in the afternoon. Especially if you have the time between classes and would otherwise spend it loafing. This allows you to get away with those nights where you take a few bong rips and pass out with a bag of dinner mints on your lap.

3. Make sure you know the names of all your professors, and try to make their acquaintance early, sit in the front of the class for at least a week or two. You can always sit in the back and sleep or cut it later if you want to; for Christ's sake at least but in a little real work.

4. If you haven't registered yet, don't be a donk overachiever and take too many classes, or all serious ones. Do that in the spring.

5. Wear shower shoes. I repeat, WEAR SHOWER SHOES.

6. Wear a snazzy suit every now and then just to mess with people.

7. No serious relationships until spring semester, preferably not until sophomore year. Don't be that guy who disappears into some needy girl's vagina and gets forgotten by November. It won't work out.

8. No drinking after 2 PM on Sunday.

9. "I have a boyfriend back home," actually means, "I'll regret this a little bit, but I'm almost drunk enough. You can get away with not calling me since I'll feel a good bit of shame about this anyway."

10. See rule number 1.

NT

brassnuts
07-05-2005, 02:41 AM
Good rules. Execpt:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't get it.

ChoicestHops
07-05-2005, 02:42 AM
All pretty good advice so far. The best I've seen is getting to know your teachers. Dont suck their ass, but make sure they know you on a name basis. At big colleges alot of times professors will not know name's of half their class.

Study in the afternoon, so you can party at night. Light on the weekdays, hard on the weekends. I learned the hard way my freshman year.

Only thing I disagree with here is getting into a relationship period.

LoaferGee12
07-05-2005, 02:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]

4. If you haven't registered yet, don't be a donk overachiever and take too many classes, or all serious ones. Do that in the spring.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

Sh1t :/ I wanna get in to the business school though.

squeek12
07-05-2005, 02:52 AM
I can best reply to this by telling you what I regret about my college experience.

1) I didn't allow myself to make enough new friends. I constantly hung out with my old friends from home. I grew up and many of them didn't, and now I don't have as many cherishable memories as many of my classmates.

2) Stay single as long as possible. There are just too many good times to be had to be in a serious relationship.

3) Grades are important, but not as much as building a well-rounded resume. Get involved on campus and in the community.

4) Major in something that you truly enjoy. If you hate what you study in college, you will most likely hate the job that you get when you get out.

5) Live on campus for at least your first two years.

6) Get to be friends with at least a couple of your professors. Many of them are really interesting people and can help pull strings for you when you get out.

7) Don't be "too cool" for anything. If it interests you, check it out.

8) Study and party equally hard.

9) Don't buy books at the bookstore, they can all be found online.

10) Stay in shape. You will have access to a gym for free on for a marginal fee. Take advantage of it.

Edge34
07-05-2005, 02:54 AM
IU's business school kicks ass hardcore, but you can get in with good grades, taking 18 credits per semester isn't going to impress anybody. Its been done, you won't be the first or last.

LoaferGee12
07-05-2005, 02:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]

9) Don't buy books at the bookstore, they can all be found online.

[/ QUOTE ]

Link? -.-

squeek12
07-05-2005, 02:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
IU's business school kicks ass hardcore, but you can get in with good grades, taking 18 credits per semester isn't going to impress anybody. Its been done, you won't be the first or last.

[/ QUOTE ]

I took 18 almost every semester until my senior year, when I had 9 in the fall and 12 in the spring. This kicked much ass. I think this is a decent line, considering senior classes are often very intense and time consuming.

squeek12
07-05-2005, 02:59 AM
half.com

nothumb
07-05-2005, 03:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Good rules. Execpt:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't get it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you will probably drink every other day of the week for a while, the no drinking Sunday afternoon (which does not by any stretch prevent you from taking a drinking lunch on Sunday, one of my favorite hobbies) gives you pretty much your only chance to prepare for the week ahead. Also you will presumably leave a lot of work until Sunday night. My typical Sunday in college involved getting a pretty good buzz on at lunch, chilling out a little bit, and then doing some work and going to bed.

If you're going to pick one day not to drink on Sunday is the clear favorite. I won't pretend I didn't drink 7 days a week through good bits of college but sober Sunday nights is actually an excellent plan.

However it doesn't mean Sunday has to be an uptight day, usually it was my most relaxed day.

NT

Matt24
07-05-2005, 03:10 AM
I graduated from IU in May 04, from Kelley school of Biz with a degree in Entrepreneurship, I've been playing poker professionally since Sept of 04 btw. I second going to bball games and you should tailgate the football games, hell this year you may even go in, the passing attack may actually be fun to watch.

Getting into the biz school is cake, or at least it was. Used to you had to have a 3.0 in 3 classes out of Calculus, Finite, Business Admin(An older guy teaches this who lets you out early and is super cake, easy A, and K101(Excel and other computer stuff). So make sure you take the Business Admin which is X101 so you can subsitute that grade for one of the other 3 in case you suck in one of those others. The X101 is an elective so you arent forced to take it.

Clubs are good to be involved in because they look good on your resume, maybe you should start a Poker club and be president, seems simple enough, clubs arent that much work really. Hell I could guest speak.

I also recommend against living at Sterling Glen unless things have changed, the place is nice, but its so boring over there, its not like the commons, or Hoosier Courts or definately not the Villas, seems like nothing is ever going on, everyone stays in over there.

If going to the bars, see Hairbangers Ball at theluebird and Dave and Rae are usually good too.

Where are you from btw?

Chairman Wood
07-05-2005, 03:39 AM
This is all very good advice and you should give a big thank you to No Thumb. But one thing I would advise is step out of your "shell" and try new things. Now that doesn't mean just do anything for the hell of it but if anything sensible interests you explore it and give it a shot. Before I went to college I thought trying new food was adding a few new items to a pizza and a vacation was heading to a beach an hour away and riding jet skis and getting drunk all the time. Now trying new food means eating deep fried grasshoppers or bull's testicles and vacations for fun means hiking in the Andes and for purpose means doing Tsunami relief in Thailand and Sri Lanka. You will meet so many new people, get the hell out there and try ANYTHING new that remotely interests you. Although, I am somewhat biased when I say this and it does go along (for most people) with the idea of doing something new, I would tell you to play rugby!!! I have played against IU, rugby team so I know they have a club and they are somewhat well represented on campus. Rugby has its own sort of "culture" that one would only know by experience. It's a beautiful thing. I was involved in sports all my life but the sports that I played in high school (hockey, soccer, tennis) I had no chance of making the varsity team in college. I found a natural fit at Rugby. It was one of those things where I thought hell it's college I'll try something new and I have been in love with it ever since. Best sport ever. Don't worry either if you think you are too small, there exists a position for everyone regardless of size and shape. As much as I love to promote Rugby though, it is most important that you do get involved in something!!!! Whether it be Rugby, some other club sport, a fraternity, student newspaper, political groups, student government, etc. etc. etc. JOIN SOMETHING and make a big school like IU smaller. You will be much happier that you did.

Reef
07-05-2005, 03:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really want to hear the story behind this, but I kind of do.

Macdaddy Warsaw
07-05-2005, 03:44 AM
I'm drunk now (why, when drunk is it important to state this) and read the other replies half-heartedly so this was probably said.

Go out and have a good time, no matter how shy you are. Meet new people, make new friends. I was a shy kid my whole life and now entering my junior year I am regretting it more than I have probably rgegretted anything in my whole life. I probably didn't open up until second semester sophomore year (possibly because I had one of those long distance HS girlfriends) Just do it. Don't worry about getting a girlfriend too early, I don't think that should be a concern (companionship = nice, but if she crowds your style, kick her to the curb). Be more concerned about enjoying yourself and doing what you think is fun. You don't need to get crunked/high/stoned/etc. to do this, just go out and experience life and people.

RAAAR.

Chairman Wood
07-05-2005, 03:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
3) Grades are important, but not as much as building a well-rounded resume. Get involved on campus and in the community.

[/ QUOTE ]
squeek makes some good points and is right one with the one above. Now it depends on your major and what you want to go into but what I am about to say is correct for 85% of college students: Grades are important, but not nearly as important as what you do outside of the classroom that is related to your class. What I mean by this is an A in some course that you take is not as important as going to that same professor's office hours, chatting it up with him, getting a job with him over the summer that will cause him to write you a fat recommendation. The same thing applies with internships and stuff. I have had friends who have had C averages but great internship experience and recommendations galore have no problem getting jobs but people with A- averages and no experience or recommendations having a great deal of difficulty. If business is your thing, get in with your business professor and he should be happy to try to get you in with some company he knows of. If some kind of research is your thing, try to work for a professor during summer months or even during the year. Those types of things are more important than grades.

Popinjay
07-05-2005, 05:26 AM
I too am going be a freshman at college next year but I'm at Loyola Marymount in LA. However, I don't drink or do drugs for various reasons (yes I've done both several times). Any advice for me?

handsome
07-05-2005, 06:07 AM
Gotta agree w/ the books thing. Half.com is your friend.

Meet as many people as you can when you get there. Srsly. After your freshman year it will be much harder making new friends.

ClaytonN
07-05-2005, 06:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Two people from my high school (suburb Atlanta) are going there. Cool stuff.

And yea, I'm going to UGA in the fall.

Brain
07-05-2005, 06:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we've all heard at least one of these. Let's not revisit those and scar our young friend.

Brain
07-05-2005, 06:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Good rules. Execpt:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't get it.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about no drinking after 7:30PM (or insert appropriate time for your time zone) when the second football game is over?

NoOuts
07-05-2005, 07:17 AM
If you drop the soap, it's generally ok to bend over to pick it up.

1800GAMBLER
07-05-2005, 07:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I too am going be a freshman at college next year but I'm at Loyola Marymount in LA. However, I don't drink or do drugs for various reasons (yes I've done both several times). Any advice for me?

[/ QUOTE ]

Drink.

dcasper70
07-05-2005, 09:56 AM
Try to either have no classes before 10 AM, or have as many classes as possible stacked on Tuesday & Thursday.

Search out classes that are only once a week. They're out there...

Study hard Sunday through Wednesday so you can be silly on the weekend. Two or three hours 4 nights a week, develop a routine.

LoaferGee12
07-05-2005, 10:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I graduated from IU in May 04, from Kelley school of Biz with a degree in Entrepreneurship, I've been playing poker professionally since Sept of 04 btw. I second going to bball games and you should tailgate the football games, hell this year you may even go in, the passing attack may actually be fun to watch.

Getting into the biz school is cake, or at least it was. Used to you had to have a 3.0 in 3 classes out of Calculus, Finite, Business Admin(An older guy teaches this who lets you out early and is super cake, easy A, and K101(Excel and other computer stuff). So make sure you take the Business Admin which is X101 so you can subsitute that grade for one of the other 3 in case you suck in one of those others. The X101 is an elective so you arent forced to take it.

Clubs are good to be involved in because they look good on your resume, maybe you should start a Poker club and be president, seems simple enough, clubs arent that much work really. Hell I could guest speak.

I also recommend against living at Sterling Glen unless things have changed, the place is nice, but its so boring over there, its not like the commons, or Hoosier Courts or definately not the Villas, seems like nothing is ever going on, everyone stays in over there.

If going to the bars, see Hairbangers Ball at theluebird and Dave and Rae are usually good too.

Where are you from btw?

[/ QUOTE ]

How was the business school, difficulty-wise? I'm from a suburb outside Chicago and I'll be moving in to a Foster dorm.

CollinEstes
07-05-2005, 10:10 AM
My only things I would have changed about my approach to college is that the first two years when you are taking the generally easier classes try to make the best possible grades you can. If you can make As or Bs in those first two years it will be hard to screw up your GPA in the last two years when the classes get harder.

The reverse is true if you screw around those first two years and try to pick up a bad GPA in the last two years it is going to be very hard to do.

I looked back when I was applying for Law school and kicked myself over some Cs in easy classes that I was just lazy in.

My other advice: TALK TO PEOPLE ABOUT PROFESSORS. Go to Pickaprof.com and look up you University and check out the profs. Whether you get the good professor of not could be the difference in not trying and getting an A, or busting your ass and making a C. Sad but true.

augie00
07-05-2005, 10:17 AM
I see you are a White Sox fan, so you will probably go far in this world. White Sox fans are quality people.

Here is some advice:

Don't fall in love. All women are whores.

Bradyams
07-05-2005, 10:34 AM
Some of these will be repeats of others' suggestions.

1) Go to [censored] class. Life will be much much easier if you do. I cannot stress how badly you need to go to class.

2) It does not count as going to class if all you do is sleep through it. Stay awake.

3) Look for books online before you buy them at the bookstore. You can get them used on Amazon for a lot cheaper sometimes.

4) Read those [censored] books you spent so much money on.

5) Use www.ratemyprofessors.com (http://www.ratemyprofessors.com)

6) I recommend not joining a frat. I'm not going to explain why since I'll probably get flamed by those who are or were in a frat.

7) Go to [censored] class.

samjjones
07-05-2005, 10:38 AM
Also, make at least 3-4 friends (more are preferred) in each of your classes. I went to business school at Rutgers (NJ state school), where a small class was 100+ people (most were 300-400 people). You'll be able to help each other prepare for any projects, and study groups are extremely helpful in preparing for exams. Business school isn't terribly hard, but it is competitive, so I'd second the suggestion of building your GPA up early. FWIW, my finance major has very little to do with my current job (software developer), which I've been doing for the 8 years since college...so don't take things TOO seriously. Have fun and best of luck.

Wintermute
07-05-2005, 11:23 AM
Best piece of advice I can give is don't be a puss when you have a hangover. This means that during the week, you go to class hungover if need be. On Saturday, get up and resume drinking after some KFC or whatever... don't stay in on Sat night just because Friday night was rough. On Sunday, study hungover. Don't skip practice if you're hungover, too. I faked a shoulder injury when I was too drunk to execute a flip turn (swimmer) once--the other 500 odd practices I got through no matter what my condition. And somebody said it, I'd suggest taking it easy on Sundays party-wise with the obvious exceptions of Super Bowl and the like, and getting some work done.
Anyhow, if you whine/decide sleep it off when you're hungover, it'll cut into your time a LOT because you'll be hungover a lot.

turnipmonster
07-05-2005, 11:32 AM
best advice I ever got was to go to class, every day. the guy that told me that got 3 degrees (EE,CS and history!) in 4 years, and I asked him how he did it. he said he went to class, "you don't always have to do your homework, you don't have to study, but just go to class every day".

--turnipmonster

DemonDeac
07-05-2005, 11:35 AM
ill keep this short and sweet:
1)go to class

2)join a club. preferably a club sport cuz ull build some good friendships through the sport and women always like an athelete even if ur not on the varsity team. also, u can become an executive member of the club which'll look good on ur resume

Matt24
07-05-2005, 11:52 AM
The business school isn't as hard as everyone makes it out to be. Your junior year will suck when you take I-CORE, but besides that, it isnt overly difficult. And by the way, that Business Administration class is X100 I think not X101, and the professor you want is Heslin or something close to that name.

Vote4Pedro
07-05-2005, 01:06 PM
cocaines a hell of a drug

Vote4Pedro
07-05-2005, 01:13 PM
DEFINITELY check out pickaprof and ratemyprof. Words cannot describe how much theyve helped me through my first 3 years

Vote4Pedro
07-05-2005, 01:18 PM
I'd like to hear your reasoning for #6.

Brad22
07-05-2005, 02:15 PM
I couldn't read all these. NTs advice was good - obviously tailor the time mgmt. stuff to the way you operate, ya know?

My only advice - Don't hook up with any girls on your floor until you know them all, at least enough to gauge their sanity - you'll make a real awkward situation for yourself if you hook up with a psycho, regret it, /images/graemlins/confused.gif and have to see that person everyday - trust me on this one.

Plus - you'll have every girl wanting you more if you play it cool for a bit. In the meantime, go after all other girls. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Drew16
07-05-2005, 02:22 PM
Watch where you park. I was just in Bloomington a few weeks ago and got my car towed. Once we realized it was missing we called the towing company, which wouldnt answer the phone. So I decided to go to the police station since I wasnt sure if it had been towed or stolen. The police station was CLOSED. I gave up for the night and the next day I finally get ahold of the inbreed at the towing place and had to go pay him $85 to get my car back. Go Hoosiers!

nothumb
07-05-2005, 02:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we've all heard at least one of these. Let's not revisit those and scar our young friend.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I was not a victim of this, but listen, all you freshmen: warts. Warts all over your feet. Nasty, painful, incurable warts.

That should suffice.

NT

augie00
07-05-2005, 04:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
6) I recommend not joining a frat. I'm not going to explain why since I'll probably get flamed by those who are or were in a frat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's funny how most people who didn't join fraternities don't recommend them and people who did think they are the best thing you can do in college.

Advice on fraternities:

the good: you meet tons of chicks, get drunk a lot with little to no interference w/ the cops (depending on the quality of your greek system), you make a TON of connections on and off campus (alumni can set you up with jobs just because you are a brother), and you instantly make 30-40 friends simply by joining.

the bad: you carry the obvious stigma of being a "stupid drunken frat boy" but that label is generally carried with people who know little or no people who are in fraternities/sororites so you don't have to deal with it much.

Although Animal House is a pretty accurate depiction of some fraternities (both omega and delta), you'll be surprised at how little you actually know about fraternities. So go through rush, and see if you enjoy it. Don't write off fraternities before giving them a chance, because there is a good fit for ANYONE on every campus (and i'm sure that holds true at IU as well).

ChoicestHops
07-05-2005, 04:18 PM
I'd recommend joining a fraternity as well. Who cares what people think? If its a strong greek system you have alot to gain. You will have alumni connections, and thats just as important as making good grades. You'll always have a social event to attend, you'll know the hotter girls at campus, and never have a boring night.

Then again, some frats are full of nerds or wanksta's.

hotsauce615
07-05-2005, 04:20 PM
Work hard Play hard. I'm not saying don't go out four times a week, but rather be a man and wake up the morning after and do what you got to do. Makes you stronger /images/graemlins/wink.gif. Learn to drink cheap beer, and find a good wingman.
Dont pledge a frat just use em for free things
Find some girl that will put out that lives in your building, because in like 2 years they get all sophisticated and don't pull that crap as much.
Also don't forget to find some real loose games to make some cash. College is a goldmine for a good poker player! I found people so bad that I would purposely screw around and lose games so I'd get called back and I knew for certain I would win the next 10.

hotsauce615
07-05-2005, 04:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Best piece of advice I can give is don't be a puss when you have a hangover. This means that during the week, you go to class hungover if need be. On Saturday, get up and resume drinking after some KFC or whatever... don't stay in on Sat night just because Friday night was rough. On Sunday, study hungover. Don't skip practice if you're hungover, too. I faked a shoulder injury when I was too drunk to execute a flip turn (swimmer) once--the other 500 odd practices I got through no matter what my condition. And somebody said it, I'd suggest taking it easy on Sundays party-wise with the obvious exceptions of Super Bowl and the like, and getting some work done.
Anyhow, if you whine/decide sleep it off when you're hungover, it'll cut into your time a LOT because you'll be hungover a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen brother! That was my attitude! Be a man! It will pay dividends for years to come! I'm hungover at work right now, been here since 5am! Gotta get your bachelors in Hungover Management along with everything else.

Short story. I met some awesome girl at the bar , did mah 50cent Pimp What Holla back life thing , but got up at 830 and went to class. She was pissed off! I could of had morning action but I had a 10 pt quiz!!

ChoicestHops
07-05-2005, 04:31 PM
There are definitely different degrees of a hangover. If I kick it hard, and really binge one hight I have to sleep. Now if you drink 8 beers the night before you have no excuse. If you kill a fifth the night before it's forgiven.

PokerNoob
07-05-2005, 04:43 PM
Try to arrange your day so that you have a good bit of non class time in the middle, and use that for studying. I blew off a lot of important homework because there was always something interesting to do late afternoons and evenings.

phage
07-05-2005, 05:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
DEFINITELY check out pickaprof and ratemyprof. Words cannot describe how much theyve helped me through my first 3 years

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't depend too heavily on these sites...These ratings are extremely subjective.

Go to class!!!!!!!

Analyst
07-05-2005, 05:16 PM
Don't pick a major based upon job prospects. Even if you think you know what you want to major in, take a variety of classes. Find the one(s) where you enjoy doing the homework and reading, and make that your major - and career.

Tyler Durden
07-05-2005, 05:30 PM
Like others have said, meet lots of ppl (read: girls) and try new things. I lived in the biggest dorm on campus freshman year and my roommate and I went to every female floor and met all the girls. This is very important.

Also, if you didn't like who you were in high school, this is your chance to do something about it. In HS I was shy, not w/ the "in" crowd. At college I ran for president of my dorm, 460 kids lived there, nearly twice the size of my senior class in HS and I won the election. Stupid position really but it helped me to meet lots of ppl, mostly girls.

So try new things.

Oh yea, go skydiving w/ a bunch of friends when you're a senior, right before graduation. It's a kick ass bonding experience.

Tyler Durden
07-05-2005, 05:32 PM
One more thing, avoid a relationship. Chances that you'll marry a college g/f are very slim. Have fun and hook up w/ any girl you want whenever you want.

And if you cheat on a g/f while on Spring Break, for god's sake do not tell her about it.

LoaferGee12
07-05-2005, 05:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

And if you cheat on a g/f while on Spring Break, for god's sake do not tell her about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Learned the hard way?

Anyways, thanks all. Lotta things here I hadn't really thought of. Man I can't wait for college..

Eurotrash
07-05-2005, 05:50 PM
Here's all you need to know.

Classes: nothing before eleven.

Beer: it's your best friend, you drink a lot of it.

Women? you're a freshman, so that's pretty much out of the question.

Will you have a car?

[You:] Um, no

Well someone on your floor will, find them and make friends with them on the first day.

Matt Flynn
07-05-2005, 05:51 PM
1. Study what you enjoy. It will be much easier and you will learn more.

2. Don't sweat all the supposedly required courses for B-school, law, etc. Other than the staples for med school and maybe a math and econ class to show you can do basic math you can major in anything and still do almost all grad schools including med, law and B-school.

3. College is easy if you have good study habits. So do this: every morning before lunch go to class and get two hours of hard core studying done. Every day. By late lunch your day is yours and you will do better and get more done than 80-90% of your classmates without lifting another finger. I am not kidding. Do it alone. Read your notes after lecture and just imagine how you would explain it to a classmate and what you believe the prof will ask on the test.

4. Schedule a lot of lunches. With friends, girlfriends, whomever.

5. Find some activities you like. Take archery. Go rock climbing. Whatever you like. College is a phenomenal opportunity to do interesting things.

6. Find good friends.

7. Have fun.

Blackjack
07-05-2005, 05:54 PM
Always wrap it and remember that health services offers the morning after pill if you have any slipups.

Blackjack

gvibes
07-05-2005, 05:58 PM
I don't get all this "go to class" sh!t. It's much more fun staying awake until 7 in the morning every day playing mario kart and goldeneye for shots and sleeping until 3 in the afternoon.

pryor15
07-05-2005, 06:01 PM
don't get into a serious relationship until your sophomore year. the odds are either a) you'll change so much it'll end badly, b) she'll change so much it'll end badly, or c) one of you won't come back soph year and it'll end badly. either way, it rarely works out and if it does, it's -EV for the rest of your college experience.

sam h
07-05-2005, 06:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't you heard of this sport called football that is often televised on Sunday afternoons during the fall?

Sponger15SB
07-05-2005, 06:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I mean, its been the #1 party school in the country once or twice i think.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks to a bullshit rating system.

Edge34
07-05-2005, 07:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks to a bullshit rating system.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you haven't heard of IU's massive porn collection. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Also, certainly schools like ASU and stuff are going to get them, but for IU to get the reputation it has in THAT city...they're doing something right.

augie00
07-05-2005, 10:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
One more thing, avoid a relationship. Chances that you'll marry a college g/f are very slim. Have fun and hook up w/ any girl you want whenever you want.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was covered in my "don't fall in love all women are whores" post.

Seriously. Don't fall in love. Seriously.

1800GAMBLER
07-05-2005, 10:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen brother! That was my attitude! Be a man! It will pay dividends for years to come! I'm hungover at work right now, been here since 5am!

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

fimbulwinter
07-05-2005, 11:04 PM
1. do what you want
2. make friends with a 21YO girl who will buy you booze. fakes are for people with no social skills.
3. go to fraternity rush. even if you don't think you'll like it, at least take a look. don't commit to joining a house, just look and see with an open mind.
4. when you get girls, don't tell anyone. its like being a table coach- nobody cares and it will only screw you over in the future.
5. learn to make a good margarita out of bad starting materials. learn to throw a party in an hours notice. learn how to be wasted and likeable.
6. booze and weed if you wanna. all other drugs are for losers.
7. study for an hour each day, during the day, from day one. nights are for fun.

fim

DemonDeac
07-05-2005, 11:10 PM
heres a good one:

learn drinking card games. i knew my fair share and it is awesome. girls like playing them and when ur controling the game explaining the rules telling people what to do, girls like it. gets girls drunk, gets you talking to drunk girls, gets you action (example: me Friday nite, bitches).

MarkL444
07-05-2005, 11:15 PM
force yourself to get out of your room as much as possible, everything else will happen naturally.

WackiRodeMyGayAz
07-06-2005, 12:19 AM
Don't get so drunk that you end up spelunking in the wrong cave.

/images/graemlins/heart.gif

PokerBob
07-06-2005, 12:46 AM
Transfer to UW-Madison. And it's not close.

PokerBob
07-06-2005, 12:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
3. go to fraternity rush. even if you don't think you'll like it, at least take a look. don't commit to joining a house, just look and see with an open mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

And then gun down everyone you see.

PokerBob
07-06-2005, 12:51 AM
.....IMO the best thing you can do is study your ass off Sunday through Thursday. Then Thurs-Sat go out and get tanked and have fun. Don't fall into the trap of getting drunk on a Tuesday. There are morons who get drunk every night, and if you are looking for it you can find it. Don't. The weekends (and your whole college experience)are a lot more fun when you have taken care of your schoolwork and don't have it nagging in the back of your mind. Work hard and play hard.

cbfair
07-06-2005, 01:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There's been some good general college advice already in this thread - NoThumb really nailed it, even the 2pm thing. I never went to IU but I lived in Bloomington for many years so here's some advice on how to get the most out of the town.

1. Drink Upland beer!!!
2. You'll need two forms of ID to get into any bars or liquor stores so plan ahead if that matters to you.
3. Spend a summer in Bloomington, do it early in your career and you may never leave. The town really is that great.
4. Drink more Upland Beer.
5. Go to an IU Soccer game.
6. Get to know the community outside the school, there are a ton of great folks there.
7. Ride bikes out to one of the quarries and go swimming on a moonlit summer night. Go with a bunch of friends - chicks are preferable as nudity is always best. Know where you're going first though, none of the quarries are open to the public. And don't be a dumbass, no diving at night.
8. When you get home, lift an Upland Wheat and think of me.

cbfair
07-06-2005, 01:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]

6. booze and weed if you wanna. all other drugs are for losers.

fim

[/ QUOTE ]

Word.

mblax10
07-06-2005, 02:07 AM
-Meet lots of people. Don't hold back, the more people you know, the more opportunities there are to do things. What I miss most about college is being around so many people with so few responsibilities. I could almost always find somebody to go eat with, drink with, play Nintendo, play stinky finger with the virgin down the hall or drive half way across the country for no reason.

-Learn to budget your time. If you can do this well, there's no reason you can't do whatever you want, including work 20+ hours, play a sport or party every night.

-Do lots of stupid crap, have fun and be creative. You'll miss it when you enter the real world.

-Skip the occasional class (or day of classes) if you can handle it. I did this often, but kept up with everything. Sometimes you just need a day or week of sitting on the couch with your roommates smoking pot and playing Bond. However, I wouldn't reccomend this right off the bat. First, get the feel of how your classes are going.

-Take electives that interest you. Learning to play raquetball was awesome. My buddy Brian (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/hockey/columnist/2004-03-22-harris_x.htm) actually got to play D1 hockey for a couple weeks and take the ice vs. Michigan at Joe Lous Arena because one of the assistant coaches knew him from hockey class.

-Join a club sport, best thing I ever did in college. You meet lots of life-long friends, women, stay in shape, lots of road trips & it's good for the resume.

-Don't get yourself into serious money troubles. I have too many friends who built up huge credit card debts or couldn't finish school due to financial issues.

-Do your own work, or at least have people your trust do it for. Don't be like This Girl (http://www.aweekofkindness.com/blog/archives/the_laura_k_krishna_saga/000023.html) .

Edge34
07-06-2005, 02:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There's been some good general college advice already in this thread - NoThumb really nailed it, even the 2pm thing. I never went to IU but I lived in Bloomington for many years so here's some advice on how to get the most out of the town.

1. Drink Upland beer!!!
2. You'll need two forms of ID to get into any bars or liquor stores so plan ahead if that matters to you.
3. Spend a summer in Bloomington, do it early in your career and you may never leave. The town really is that great.
4. Drink more Upland Beer.
5. Go to an IU Soccer game.
6. Get to know the community outside the school, there are a ton of great folks there.
7. Ride bikes out to one of the quarries and go swimming on a moonlit summer night. Go with a bunch of friends - chicks are preferable as nudity is always best. Know where you're going first though, none of the quarries are open to the public. And don't be a dumbass, no diving at night.
8. When you get home, lift an Upland Wheat and think of me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Word. Word.

wegs the wegs
07-06-2005, 02:42 AM
Get to class and keep the grades up freshman year otherwise you'll kick yourself your junior year.

Think of it this way. With tuition what it is, figure that skipping a class is the same as buying a $40 ticket to a ball game and decided to nap instead.

LoaferGee12
07-06-2005, 10:04 AM
Man this thing got massive. One more thing: Will I have time to play some online poker to pull in some extra income? Like, an hour or two a day?

tech
07-06-2005, 10:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Half the schools in the country lay claim to this.

augie00
07-06-2005, 11:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Man this thing got massive. One more thing: Will I have time to play some online poker to pull in some extra income? Like, an hour or two a day?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course. You only go to class for 3-4 hours a day, yo. The rest of the time is yours. You probably won't want to play much though, because you'll realize that going out and doing [censored] is a lot more fun.

squeek12
07-06-2005, 11:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Poker? Is that slang for masturbating or something?

PokerBob
07-06-2005, 11:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Of course. You only go to class for 3-4 hours a day, yo. The rest of the time is yours.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true, but you must be careful. With all the time you have, it is easy to blow [censored] off and sya "I'll do it later." Getting behind REALLY fucks you. Stay on top of your work, and your life will be much more enjoyable.

chaas4747
07-06-2005, 11:24 AM
Most of the stuff I am going to post has already been said, but here is my take.

In your first and second semester try to get the best possible grades you can. Math justifies this. If you start with a 3.8 with 24 credits, a 2.0 in a class will not knock you down that much, however if you start with a 2.0 for 24 and you make a 4.0 it will not improve your GPA that much. Start fast and you can slack a few classes off if you choose.

Rush - even if you never plan to join a house do this. It will allow you to meet many people and jump start your social life on campus.

Time management- This is something that will become important for the rest of your life. Learn this skill now. If you have an exam in two days it is much easier to study for a couple of hours over the next couple of days, than to slam 6 hours of studying in one night.

Keep up with you reading - Falling behind in your reading is the hardest thing to catch up on.

Show up to class & answer questions if you can - Popular belief says you are just a number, but if your professor takes attendance, and ask for participation do this it may be the difference in on of those borderline grade situations.

Have fun - always take time to enjoy yourself.

Stick it in as many poopers as you can (but always wrap it up).

Good luck.

lil_o
07-06-2005, 12:01 PM
If you have a girlfriend break up with her, especially if you are going to a big school like Indiana.

cbfair
07-06-2005, 12:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Show up to class & answer questions if you can - Popular belief says you are just a number, but if your professor takes attendance, and ask for participation do this it may be the difference in on of those borderline grade situations.

Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is huge. My formula throughout college was to:

1. show up to class
2. sit in the front row
3. participate
4. take good notes
5. review that days notes each afternoon or evening
6. read most of the assigned text - before class... this is how you participate

As long as I kept up with this formula I always did well and had lots of time on my hands to party, ski, hike, travel, whatever.

Reviewing for tests with this formula mostly consists of going over the notes from class once or twice. I always found that information the professor chose to highlight is far more likely to find its way onto an exam than random bits from the text.

ChipWrecked
07-06-2005, 12:52 PM
Tri-Deltas like to be tied up and take it in the pooper.

Wrap it up.

ChipWrecked
07-06-2005, 12:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is huge. My formula throughout college was to:

1. show up to class
2. sit in the front row
3. participate
4. take good notes
5. review that days notes each afternoon or evening
6. read most of the assigned text - before class... this is how you participate

As long as I kept up with this formula I always did well and had lots of time on my hands to party, ski, hike, travel, whatever.

Reviewing for tests with this formula mostly consists of going over the notes from class once or twice. I always found that information the professor chose to highlight is far more likely to find its way onto an exam than random bits from the text.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, working in a pizza joint at which your professor is a regular is an almost sure thing in a borderline grade situation. It's what let me graduate on schedule.

Also, he knows why you don't make his 8am class a lot of mornings.

midas
07-06-2005, 03:48 PM
Matt-

I've always wanted to ask this question. What the h*ll is a degree in Entrepeneurship??? Have you started your business yet?

BTW, IU biz school has a great rep in the mid-west but doesn't carry much cred on the coasts. Don't let poker create too big a gap in your resume - it may be tough to explain when you're looking for some steady employment down the road.

augie00
07-06-2005, 04:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've always wanted to ask this question. What the h*ll is a degree in Entrepeneurship??? Have you started your business yet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny story:

One time I talked to my ex-girlfriend (a dumb whore) about possibly transferring to the entrepreneurship program at Bradley. She said, "Why would you do that? What kind of job are you going to get with a degree in entrepreneurship???"

maxfisher
07-06-2005, 04:53 PM
go to class, be confident- the rest will take care of itself