PDA

View Full Version : Bring Back The Limp!

bkbluedevil
07-05-2005, 02:01 AM
I just watched World Poker Conference 2004, specifically the final table part by Daniel N where he says the title of this post repeatedly. One of the main points of his speech was that people don't limp nearly enough and every book that says 'raise or fold late' is more or less wrong. Specifically he likes limping in a situation where you are on the button with a short stack in the SB and big stack in BB, or in one where you are in SB and the big stack is in the BB. You get the point.

Harrington also says he would never fold heads up in HOH2, that limping is much superior. I'm not sure if this applies when BB is playing AI/fold.

I'm just curious what everyone else thinks. Limping isn't a play I use at all. Is this a leak? When should I be limping?

johnnybeef
07-05-2005, 02:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I just watched World Poker Conference 2004, specifically the final table part by Daniel N where he says the title of this post repeatedly. One of the main points of his speach was that people don't limp nearly enough and every book that says raise or fold late is more or less wrong. Specifically he likes it in a situation where you are on the button with a short stack in the SB and big stack in BB, or in one where you are in SB and the big stack is in the BB. You get the point.

Harrington also says he would never fold heads up in HOH2, that limping is much superior. I'm not sure if this applies when BB is playing AI/fold.

I'm just curious what everyone else thinks. Limping isn't a play I use at all. Is this a leak? When should I be limping?

[/ QUOTE ]

Its all a matter of style. If you check out Jesus' sight he reccomends never opening a pot without a raise. The key thing to remember is to remain unpredictable.

bkbluedevil
07-05-2005, 02:07 AM
Yea, I read that article too. Intresting stuff. It's amazing how much the approaches of these two top pros differ. Chris also says (and I'm not sure in which article) that he likes min raises, which again isn't something I do at all.

lastchance
07-05-2005, 02:08 AM
Well, if I limp, I want a stack behind me so I can actually call raises. HU, I do a lot of limping and postflop stealing if opponent isn't in push/fold mode yet.

johnny005
07-05-2005, 02:12 AM
I'm with chris on this one I never limp... Like never I cant rember once when I've limped late in a tourney. I hate sticking my men out there without a fight, I might limp sometimes if i have P K's or A's and the table is playing fairly agressive. Maybe I'm missing out on some chances by not limping ever? Anyone else play this way?

microbet
07-05-2005, 02:39 AM
I haven't seen what you're talking about, but it is pretty likely he's talking about situations with much deeper stacks.