PDA

View Full Version : wanted examples of true Irony.

[censored]
07-05-2005, 01:28 AM
Could someone give me some examples of true irony. ie that meets the actual definition of Irony.

also what is 2.

brassnuts
07-05-2005, 01:31 AM
So who's gonna quote Alanis Morissette first? Come on, who's it gonna be?

bisonbison
07-05-2005, 01:32 AM
"Hey honey, check out this show on the WB - Cheaters. I can't believe this stuff."

fluxrad
07-05-2005, 01:32 AM
1. The song "ironic" is actually ironic in and of itself.

brassnuts
07-05-2005, 01:34 AM
"Who would've thought ... it figures"

brassnuts
07-05-2005, 01:35 AM
I believe I just gave you an example irony.

Edit: Hah, bison beat me to it. Actually, he caught me right in the middle of setting it up. But, we both went for Socratic irony.

Lawrence Ng
07-05-2005, 01:38 AM
Quote from Bart Simpson,

Sometimes you're damned if you do, and you're damned if you don't

Wait, that's a paradox.

Lawrence.

fluxrad
07-05-2005, 01:46 AM
Ooh. I also like this one from Wikipedia:

A shipboard scene of reconciliation and hope for an estranged couple ends with the camera pulling back to reveal a life preserver stencilled "SS Titanic".

Jack of Arcades
07-05-2005, 02:03 AM
Dead is my favorite poster.

OtisTheMarsupial
07-05-2005, 02:15 AM
I took a Communications class in college but the classroom was changed the day before classes started. The course coordinators didn't bother to send out an email or put up a sign on the old classroom door.

nothumb
07-05-2005, 02:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Dead is my favorite poster.

[/ QUOTE ]

He asked for irony, not idiocy.

NT

kipin
07-05-2005, 02:26 AM
"Firehouse burns down while celebrating commencement of the new building."

brassnuts
07-05-2005, 02:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I believe I just gave you an example irony.

Edit: Hah, bison beat me to it. Actually, he caught me right in the middle of setting it up. But, we both went for Socratic irony.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't it also ironic that I could give such a good example of irony and then make an incorrect reference to Socratic irony. I just looked up the definition of irony and then Socratic irony. I've always had it backwards. Anyways, I'm stupid.

OtisTheMarsupial
07-05-2005, 03:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"Firehouse burns down while celebrating commencement of the new building."

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the classic example. Don't use it; it's cliche.
Use this instead:

Nevada makes things easy and accessible to everyone by putting legal forms online. For example, the form entitled "Petition to File Bankruptcy in Paper Format" is only available online.

OtisTheMarsupial
07-05-2005, 03:48 AM
OK, I know there are some English experts who read theses forums, so I must correct myself.

You wanted, true irony, right? OK, that's just plain old serious sarcasm, only there is no hint of truth and if you didn't know the context, you might not even get it.

I am a wallaby.
2+2 publishes crappy books.
OOT is filled with wisdom.

Firehouse example is ironic, not true irony. Basically, true irony isn't funny. It's kind of disturbing. Sarcasm is funny, but also a little disturbing. Ironic things are, well, funny and annoying.