PDA

View Full Version : Value bet river?

kurto
07-05-2005, 01:18 AM
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

MP1 ($94)
MP2 ($101.45)
CO ($40.95)
Button ($98.50)
<font color="#C00000">SB ($79.80)</font>
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($177.40)</font>
UTG ($63.25)
UTG+1 ($47)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: ($2) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($2) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $2</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $6</font>, SB calls $4.

River: ($14) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero ???????

vulturesrow
07-05-2005, 01:43 AM
I would. My guess is he has Ax, hopefully not with a 5 or 6 /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Here is where you knowing your player is nice. Youd like to fall into his "trap" if you think he will set one. Or just lead out with a weak bet if you think he will raise. I definitely want to get some money in on this river...so checkraise or lead out depending how you think he'll play back at you.

DMACM
07-05-2005, 01:59 AM
Id try to bet enough that trip aces will call but not reraise you. I wouldnt check raise because of full house and flush potential in a hand id like to show down.

vulturesrow
07-05-2005, 02:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Id try to bet enough that trip aces will call but not reraise you. I wouldnt check raise because of full house and flush potential in a hand id like to show down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok Im not even drinking tonight and I cant read /images/graemlins/smile.gif Totally missed the flush hitting. I agree with middling size value bet.

xorbie
07-05-2005, 03:40 AM
If he will checkraise here with trips, and you are going to fold to a checkraise (which you probably should), then checking behind is not so bad.

kurto
07-05-2005, 10:37 AM
after reading the comments, I'm still not entirely sure if I correctly checked on the river.

I think if I had a lot of time to think about it, I would have value bet. Even when he bet the turn, it struck me that I didn't have the nut-straight. When the A /images/graemlins/heart.gif hit, I think my hand dropped to about the 8th nut hand.

Though he could have been trapping, his play seemed a bit passive throughout for someone holding a monster. If he had a fullhouse, I don't see him checking it through.

On the other hand, I think Xorbie is right... had I bet and he checkraised, I would have to lay it down. So I would have to be really sure of my read on the guy to lead out.

Well, taking a small pot isn't the end of the world. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Results: He was much much weaker then I feared. He had 7-8os. At least for this hand, the question of betting would have been moot, since I can't imagine he would have called anything.

Though perhaps this demonstrates why to checkbehind? He's going to fold anything I can beat and anything he would consider calling with would beat me.

soah
07-05-2005, 11:01 AM
I bet this flop 100% of the time.

Ghazban
07-05-2005, 11:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I bet this flop 100% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me, too. I'm also value betting the turn and river close to 100% of the time. Whether OP has only the 8th nuts or whatever is almost irrelevant as this is a blind vs. blind situation. Villain will call a bet on the end with a lot less than a boat or flush.

TheWorstPlayer
07-05-2005, 11:09 AM
My first instinct is to bet, of course. But he didn't raise preflop and he didn't bet the flop, so he most likely does not have an ace. So what can he pay you off with? He might call with a pair, but he most likely folds it, I think, once you raise the turn and bet again on the river. And his play is pretty consistent with picking up a flush draw on the turn. But I wouldn't be too happy betting and folding to a raise. So since I don't want to fold to a raise, and I don't think it is very likely that villain pays off here if you are ahead, I think checking might be the best move.

DrPublo
07-05-2005, 01:46 PM
Check behind because bad players will c/r you big with just an A, and you will have to fold.

The Doc