PDA

View Full Version : Call every time?

kurto
07-05-2005, 01:13 AM
Villain in hand has been stacked twice. Both times he bet his whole stack with top pair, weak kicker. One hand he had A10os and another time an A8os. He minraised a lot with all sorts of junk regardless of position.

Table has been very passive preflop and a lot of donkish minraises allowing a lot of limping with medium strength hands.

With that being said....

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

MP1 ($49.85)
MP2 ($68.15)
MP3 ($49.25)
CO ($21)
Button ($102.25)
<font color="#C00000">SB ($26.85)</font>
BB ($78.30)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($52.85)</font>
UTG+1 ($45)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif.
Hero calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls $0.50, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $1</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $0.50, MP2 calls $0.50, Button calls $0.50.

Flop: ($4.50) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $0.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, MP2 folds, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $5</font>, Hero calls $3.

Turn: ($14.50) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $5</font>, Hero calls $5.

River: ($24.50) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $15.85 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls $15.85.

Final Pot: $56.20

Logik
07-05-2005, 01:20 AM
You really didn't get any information on this opponent. He min-raised pre-flop, which means that he probably was delt two cards, of any value. It appears that he wants to play a multi-way pot, as his raise wasn't going to get anyone out of the hand.

Why didn't you re-raise the flop, or raise the turn?

He could be betting because he thinks you're weak (raise, call, call, call), or he might have a monster.

That said, I do call every time, given the SB's past actions. Its too bad that his min-raised 77/22 hoping to hit a set ended up working.

Rosie5
07-05-2005, 01:23 AM
I call knowing there's a good chance I'm beat and probably an equal chance I'm ahead

The mini raises don't give enough away for you to laydown your AJs preflop, then you have to see it down when the flop hits your hand that hard

To a mini raise I'd probably have to see the flop with AJs. if he raised to 4 big blinds it'd be so much easier to fold in a low stakes 9 handed game

farha was right, bad players are tough to beat sometimes. If he miniraised with AK then he won the hand by playing badly.

kurto
07-05-2005, 01:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why didn't you re-raise the flop, or raise the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

I did raise his flopbet. I had literally just finished typing notes on him about how he'd go all the way with any kicker. I figured him for an ace, the question is what kicker? I felt comfortable calling because I wasn't going to fold it and I didn't want him to slowdown. If I raised him, I didn't actually want him to fold a lesser kicker.

I'm not bothered so much with not raising, I'm more interested in based on seeing him go all the way with top pair crappy kicker, do most people call any bets from this particular guy with a Jack kicker? How low a kicker would you call against this guy?

xcrack999
07-05-2005, 01:56 AM
With that read you have on him, I would absolutely like to see his whole stack in the middle, and you obviously thought that he was aggressive enough to keep betting into you if you just kept calling him, and that's what he did. It doesn't matter what the result is, you made the correct moves based on your read.

kurto
07-05-2005, 10:48 AM
I have to say, when he kept betting into me after my initial reraise, my spidey sense was tingling. I kept thinking, after he's given away 2 buyins, did I happen to go up against the fish when he actually has a hand?

But since he kept losing hands to other players, I knew he would act no differently whether he was behind or ahead. So, I went with it.

Villain had A5os. MHIG. This is one of those cases where you wonder if your opponent is mentally challenged. He was stacked 3 times. Each time with a bad kicker. Each time his bets didn't scare away anyone so he must have realized he wasn't intimidating anyone. What is going on in this guy's head?

So I still wonder... based on this hand (and the 2 others I mentioned)... If you have top pair against this opponent, how bad a kicker are you willing to go all the way with? (Reminder- he lost his stack with A10, A8 and A5 - I don't believe any of them were even suited /images/graemlins/ooo.gif)

djoyce003
07-05-2005, 11:05 AM
buddy list him. You really have to call here...you have a hand with definite showdown value, and given your very accurate read on this guy you are in the unfortunate position of having to call down knowing that you could be behind here, but you are probably ahead. It's also very possible for him to have paired his raggedy kicker. I love guys that overplay top pair no kicker, that is one of my favorite notes to take.