PDA

View Full Version : Can Omaha/8 hurt your Holdem game?

pufferfish
02-08-2003, 01:03 AM
I dabble in O/8. Problem is the long lasting effects. I tend to see every flop in terms of the nut hand. This is good and bad. Good because, well I know what it is. Bad because I play weaker if I don't have it or a draw to it.

Should rookies stay away? Too late for me, the "damage" has already been done.

Serious question, any comments?

pf

Ed Miller
02-08-2003, 01:04 AM
Ummm... all I can say is adjust. You aren't a robot.

pufferfish
02-08-2003, 01:14 AM
Lol, no I'm not. But it gets in my head. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

JTG51
02-08-2003, 01:34 AM
Sure it can hurt, if you let it. The first few times I played O8 it screwed with my head a little. The idea of folding a set on the flop instead of jamming it seemed so foreign. In the end, I think the practice changing gears is a good thing.

Just tell yourself, "I'm playing hold'em now, I don't need the nuts to stay in."

Jimbo
02-08-2003, 01:39 AM
Look at the bright side. This method of play should certainly decrease you variance. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

02-08-2003, 10:46 AM
I had the same problem, or at least in my own way I had. The problem was my reactions that were so Holdem conditioned; all I had played so far (for two years) was limit holdem. When I started to play Omaha-8, I had no major problems, at Omaha-8; but when ever I played holdem I had to concentrate harder, as I couldn't allow reactions any more, as it might have come from Omaha-8, and it did cost me some money when I folded at holdem when I shouldn't have - that is the main problem that comes, in my case at least. However, it didn't last, as my mind learned; it has now those two tracks, instead of just one.