PDA

View Full Version : Betting Strategy For 2-7 TD

CTUAgent
07-04-2005, 08:45 PM
What's a good betting strategy for 2-7 Triple Draw? I'm new to the game so I'm not sure what to do when I'm still drawing or when I already have a pat hand. While I'm making this post, I might as well ask this question also: Is discarding two cards too many?

TheShootah
07-04-2005, 09:04 PM
Discarding two is not too many at all. Most hands played I think are two card draws, but make sure they are good ones like 234, 237, 238, etc....A very common thing in TD is it's pretty much mandatory to bet if you drew less than your opponent in heads up situations. With rough pat hands you certainly want to have less people drawing to beat you.

euri10
07-05-2005, 06:05 AM
a good betting strategy is to often bet or raise and seldom call.

fnord_too
07-05-2005, 09:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
a good betting strategy is to often bet or raise and seldom call.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is good pre flop, post flop you will be calling often. Post flop play is all about drawing when you have odds and betting and raising when ahead. I think the typical value bet line when the opponent drew one on the last round or stayed pat and checked to you is 875 and better.

Also, all the TOP stuff like raising to knock out a third player applies. As mentioned, never give someone who is behind a free card. Know the odds to make hands. Know things like a J is usually a favorite over a 1 card draw with one draw to come, and a 9 is usually favored over two 1 card draws.

Also, there is often a lot of bluffing and thin betting on the river, and a lot of raising with one draw to come to get an opponent to break a marginal hand.

Luv2DriveTT
07-07-2005, 05:40 PM
I'd like to correct one small part of Fnord's post. I wouldn't say there is a lot of bluffing by good players, there is some... but there is a lot of bluffing by bad players. The key is to know your opponent, your position, and the odds the pot is laying you before these types of plays are made.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

randomstumbl
07-08-2005, 03:08 PM
I think 875 is where I value bet if I stayed pat and the villan drew one.

If we both have drawn one, I bet a decent ten or better and will fold to a reraise if it's a tight or passive opponent. If it's an opponent who has started to checkraise rivers to counteract my value betting, I tighten up my standards again.

Also, snowing and bluffing are dictated by your opponent. If they rarely call a bet when you stay pat, you need to snow more. If they just rarely call bets on the end, you can bluff more. If they just always call, you can value bet more. All of this becomes less important to your bottom line as the pots become larger.