PDA

View Full Version : What does his bet mean

11t
07-04-2005, 07:57 PM
No direct read on this individual but I felt his bet of 600 into a 400 pot screamed weakness so this ensued.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP (t3280)
Button (t3745)
SB (t1875)
Hero (t2560)
UTG (t2040)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t400) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t600</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t2360</font>

Is this pretty typical?

Big Limpin'
07-04-2005, 07:59 PM
i would fold.

11t
07-04-2005, 08:03 PM
Well, that is the easy way out isn't it /images/graemlins/wink.gif

11t
07-04-2005, 08:31 PM
Shameless bump, am I the only person here who does this?

Am I crazy?

suited_ace
07-04-2005, 08:38 PM
I have the same instinct (or leak) as you. I tend to read overbets as being a sign of weakness. This play is read-dependent to me. If I have no reads, I fold. If the bet is just weird considering the read I have so far, *then* I push.

Freudian
07-04-2005, 08:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have the same instinct (or leak) as you. I tend to read overbets as being a sign of weakness. This play is read-dependent to me. If I have no reads, I fold. If the bet is just weird considering the read I have so far, *then* I push.

[/ QUOTE ]

I definately think overbetting with good hands could be very profitable in some situations.

For example. I flop middle set on a two-flush board. I think I am more likely to get a good player with TPTK to call me when I push instead of bet pot.

elonkra
07-04-2005, 08:47 PM
It means I'm folding.

Big Limpin'
07-04-2005, 08:54 PM
I guess its kind of a copout to give a 3 sylable answer...so i'll elaborate bit:

-first and foremost, this pot was unraised, and you got in for free. That scenario alone will put my default setting to "unless i flop monster, anyone who wants it can take it"
TPBK doesnt qualify.

-The flop has myriad str8 draws, and a flush draw. When you see people overbet...what kind of hand to the usually have? ( <font color="white">semi-bluff, or very scared of draws to their big made hand </font>) (in white)

I think here, yeah, maybe TP is best made hand....but there is no way you are far ahead. Being against a draw is about hte best you can hope for. Other possiblilities include small 2 pr, set, 1pr with a draw....etc.

The times you are catching some retard overbetting with MPGK (and are ahead) arent frequent enough to offset the times you are miles behind (vs 2pr, set, overpair).

elonkra
07-04-2005, 08:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
there is no way you are far ahead

[/ QUOTE ]

this is the key for my decision to fold

11t
07-04-2005, 09:04 PM
Yah, when he overbet I immediately thought he probably had a big draw but then I couldn't see why he wouldn't c/r me or just open push the flop.

I dunno, the reason I posted this is because I think I need a solid read to make this play and got lucky at how awful the SB was.

Villain called the push and had 56os if that matters for anything. I just don't get people sometimes.