View Full Version : teleportation and your "soul"

send_the_msg
07-04-2005, 06:33 PM
my friend and i were talking about the concept of teleportation (or beaming for you trekkies), and whether we would use a machine like that if it existed. assuming such a machine would analyze your body, send that info over a network, and then re-assemble your body elsewhere, meanwhile the original body is... "disposed" of. do you guys think that your conciousness would also transfer across the network, or would the thoughts and brain functions of the original cease to exist? in other words, would you wake up on the other side, or never wake up at all, while, essentially, a clone of you walks the earth? anyone think they would ever use a machine like this?

kitaristi0
07-04-2005, 06:57 PM
If they ever make a teleportation machine, then yes, i definitely want to try it.

drudman
07-05-2005, 12:43 AM
How do you know that when you woke up this morning, you were the same you who went to bed?

Spaded
07-05-2005, 02:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
do you guys think that your conciousness would also transfer across the network, or would the thoughts and brain functions of the original cease to exist?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it would be untestable.

What if your original body did not die? Then the original you would believe that it did not work, while your clone would think it worked.

David Sklansky
07-05-2005, 05:21 AM
"What if your original body did not die? Then the original you would believe that it did not work, while your clone would think it worked."

I have thought about this exact thing for years. I am not sure if you are right. But I am sure that this is one of the ultimate questions.

Quaalude
07-05-2005, 06:36 AM
Check out this. (http://minduploading.org/mu-faq.html#faq3) Scroll down to "Teleportation"

-Travas