PDA

View Full Version : River bet

rigoletto
02-07-2003, 03:01 PM
Online 5/10. I'm in the BB holding A /forums/images/icons/spade.gif J /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif. UTG+1 limps, loose agressive (LAG) in EP calls, EP2 calls, unknown button calls, SB calls and i check.

6 sb in the pot

Flop: 2 /forums/images/icons/club.gif 8 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 7 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif

Check, check, check, LAG bets, fold, button and the rest of us call.

11 sb in the pot

Turn: 2 /forums/images/icons/club.gif 8 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 7 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif T /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif

Check, check, check, check, button bets, all call except LAG who folds

9.5 bb in the pot.

River: 2 /forums/images/icons/club.gif 8 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 7 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif T /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 8 /forums/images/icons/club.gif

Check, I bet...

J.R.
02-07-2003, 03:09 PM
If I wanted to play on with two overcards (which I am not fond of doing in this type of situation), I would have check-raised the LAG's flop bet, even though the button called. I then would have led at almost any turn card unless there were cold-callers (or I was three-bet, where I would fold), in which case I would check-fold unless the turn hit me.

Homer
02-07-2003, 03:16 PM
I think you just threw away a bet....

-- Homer

Georgia Peach
02-07-2003, 03:35 PM
I like your river play. It certainly gives the button something to think about full-house wise: BB checks pre-flop and limps flop & turn and suddenly bets with a pair of 8s on the board at the river.

Plus it has the benefit if you showdown the cards and lose the pot that you are willing to bluff.

JTG51
02-07-2003, 04:23 PM
I think suddenly coming to life and betting A high into a field of 4 or 5 players is not a really good idea.

Some of those players have got to have a pair, they can't all be calling with a straight draw or overcards on the flop. I don't think you'll be very successfull getting more than one person to fold a pair on the river very often.

MD_
02-08-2003, 03:17 AM
I have no idea what the other players did or what your read on them was to make you think this would work. Maybe you know something about those players that I don't. I'll tell what though, I would call you every time with any pair if nobody else called and there wasn't more than 1 player behind me. You're bet smells really rotten to me. If you really had something, why wouldn't you check-raise?

-MD

rigoletto
02-13-2003, 07:26 AM
Thanks for the input. I wasn't happy about this hand and J.R. is right: I should have check-raised the flop (or folded). As for the river bet: I did it because anybody with any pair would have made a move sooner. Passive play at this table meant either draws (and a lot of these players would draw to overcards) or slowplaying, so i felt my odds (9.5:1) where good enough for the riverbluff and as it happended everybody folded.