PDA

View Full Version : Just call me weak tight

Newt_Buggs
07-04-2005, 03:49 PM
$109, UTG is a LAG, but I haven't seen him miniraise yet

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

CO (t2080)
Button (t2080)
SB (t1180)
Hero (t665)
UTG (t1960)
UTG+1 (t785)
MP1 (t890)
MP2 (t360)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t200</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, hero?

ZBTHorton
07-04-2005, 03:59 PM
I fold...you still got alot of time and chips left here.

In all honestly, what hands could you possibly be ahead of?

microbet
07-04-2005, 04:06 PM
You don't think he min-raised because he wants to try and take your blind without his stack against CO or Button?

ZBTHorton
07-04-2005, 04:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You don't think he min-raised because he wants to try and take your blind without his stack against CO or Button?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand this question.

microbet
07-04-2005, 04:15 PM
I believe Newt is implying that his first observed min-raise could be a trap with a big hand. I wondering if maybe it's not that big a hand and villian wants the option of folding to a large raise from a bigger stack.

I don't know. Newt may well be right. He was in the game. A lot of villians simply bet big with a mediocre hand and small with a really big hand.

The Yugoslavian
07-04-2005, 04:20 PM
The problem as I see it is I'd imagine *very* few UTG villians here are capable of doing this with many aces even if they're quite loose....AT *maybe*...more likely they have AK-AJ or some kinda pocket pair or a suited broadway hand. I think to make a push valuable here, I think not just broadways but weak aces need to be in villian's range.

Can you see a villian playing A6o this way?

Do you push AQ here?

Yugoslav

ZBTHorton
07-04-2005, 04:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The problem as I see it is I'd imagine *very* few UTG villians here are capable of doing this with many aces even if they're quite loose....AT *maybe*...more likely they have AK-AJ or some kinda pocket pair or a suited broadway hand. I think to make a push valuable here, I think not just broadways but weak aces need to be in villian's range.

Can you see a villian playing A6o this way?

Do you push AQ here?

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

I push AQs for sure. AQ probably. AJ is close...but I usually smell monsters with UTG min raises.

Newt_Buggs
07-04-2005, 05:53 PM
thats the thing though, I really didn't know how to interpret the mini raise. UTG was quite bad and had raised strong with some marginal pocket and Ax before. I figured that the mini raise was either a sign of weakness (he couldn't bring himself to fold his KJo, but he didn't want to just limp it) or a trap. I folded btw so I can't tell you how it turned out.

Does anyone just call here?

bkbluedevil
07-04-2005, 05:55 PM
If you're stack were deeper, I'd at least consider calling. As is you need those chips to retain folding equity.

EverettKings
07-04-2005, 06:29 PM
I'd consider a stop n go.

The problem with pushing is that he'll have about 2:1 and won't muck that KQ or AQ or 88. Sure he might be sitting on a monster, but minraises (even out-of-the-blue ones) turn out to be monsters far less often than we all think. More than likely he's just speculating with something good but not great, yet still good enough to call with 2:1.

If you call and jam any flop, you have a very nice chance to have ~1k chips and be all set to pick up the pace and build a stack. Folding you'll have 500 and won't be able to gain momentum without a double up. Blech.

And don't forget that you can hit your hand, if it comes to that.

Kings

johnnybeef
07-04-2005, 06:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As is you need those chips to retain folding equity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Our hero still has over 5 bb. 3 bb is usually enough chips to have a good deal of fold equity. 4bb is always enough. There will even be situations late in the game where 2 bb should do you just fine.

DJ Sensei
07-04-2005, 09:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd consider a stop n go.

The problem with pushing is that he'll have about 2:1 and won't muck that KQ or AQ or 88. Sure he might be sitting on a monster, but minraises (even out-of-the-blue ones) turn out to be monsters far less often than we all think. More than likely he's just speculating with something good but not great, yet still good enough to call with 2:1.

If you call and jam any flop, you have a very nice chance to have ~1k chips and be all set to pick up the pace and build a stack. Folding you'll have 500 and won't be able to gain momentum without a double up. Blech.

And don't forget that you can hit your hand, if it comes to that.

Kings

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed. stop-n-go is the best way to play this, or at least the way that requires the least worry and has the best chance of success.

Unarmed
07-04-2005, 09:28 PM
I SNG that.
Congrats on the move to the 109s Newt!

bkbluedevil
07-05-2005, 01:30 AM
Johnny,

Usually over 3BB is enough to cause people to not call with any two, but people will also call a 4BB all in more than a 5BB all in. Also in a 109 it's at least decently likely you won't be able to get first in the pot on the next time around. The difference between 2.5 and 3.5 BB after postitng is absolely huge. I do see your point though; I just think that those particular chips which you would be calling with are extremely valuable.