PDA

View Full Version : The peril of finishing second best at stud hi low.

Mike Gallo
02-07-2003, 01:31 PM
I had a recent session at a stud hi low 5-10 game where I had won 25 big bets in the span of four hours.

I had some lunch, went for a walk and then I sat back down to play.

When I returned to the table the dynamic of the table had changed. The table had become looser. I couldnt steal the antes or steal on fifth street. One the betting limits doubled players usually started to jam the pot. I had to show down a legitamate hand in order to win.

I showed down the second best hand several times and as a result I left the table -10 big bets. I also had to fold on fifth street because players started jamming the pot and i didnt want to continue with a draw I knew was second best. I lost 35 big bets, I bet you guys want me in your game. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

This was the first session I had ever finished second best so many times. After reviewing my play I realized I allowed myself to fall into several of those traps. I made a bad call on the river. I put the 10-20 player on a high, and when he bet the river he scooped the pot. I had a 47 low to his 56 low. He also had a flush to go with the low. Ouch.

As a result folding has become my best weapon. If I can get out early, it will save me later.